In August we bought a '93 13ft. Scamp
at what we thought was a reasonable price. In reality, we had little idea what we were getting into. (And maybe we still don't!)
We bought it in the hopes of fixing it up for use beginning summer of 2014.
It didn't take long to realize that we were in need of some major upgrades.
• lp/ac/dc frig was quite broken.
• heater was broken
• wiring was a mess
• running lights
we not operable
in desperate need of replacing
• both ceiling hatch, and ceiling fan we broken, leaking, and in need of replacing.
OUR FIX-ER-UP PHILOSOPHY:
• go light
where we can
• use Ockham's razor - make the thing simple where we can (tearing out broken frig and replacing it with cooler - much cheaper, much more cooling space, can buy a lot of bags of ice for the price of a new refrigerator
that holds so little!
SINCE THAT TIME WE'VE:
• replaced all exterior running lights
with new LED models
• replaced door hingers and handle
• replaced rock guard hardware
• replaced broken ceiling fan with a MaxxAir premo model.
• replaced cracked escape
hatch with new hatch (had to cut hole bigger as original size was unavailable and only larger would work)
• replaced interior broken light
assemblies with LED models
• tore out broken heater and frig - removed LP line and tank
• tore out nasty carpet, sealed floor, and put in laminate wood floor
• replaced all hinges and knobs
• replaced all wiring and upgrade to a 7-pin connector and wires for future upgrade to electric brake axle
• rewired the whole thing with new wiring, a new fuse panel, a new converter, and all 'Posi-Lock' connectors. LOVE THEM!!!
• replaced the fire extinguisher
• replaced both 120v sockets and replaced one of them with a regular outlet plus 2 - 2amp+ usb plugs.
• fashioned a new door to cover old heater whole.
SHORT TERM PROJECTS STILL BEFORE US:
• new curtains (Birch 'Sly Fox' Jay-Cyn Designs for Birch Organic Fabrics, Camp Sur, Sly Fox
doors so that they don't clash with the new floor
• either fix the stove - converting it to connect to the small Coleman fuel canisters, or ditch it.
• clean exterior, and wax it with Zepp Wet Look Floor Polish (waiting for warm weather)
• seal the underside of the Scamp
with roll-able truck bead liner coating.
• replace old frig exhaust grate with a solid grate, or somehow seal it up.
• add a 12 volt. water pump and change the faucet to hand pump/electric pump
• add the battery
box and battery
• build bunk guard rail
• new dexter axle
with electric brakes
• exterior shower hatch and shower hose
• new rims