'98 Scamp - Bathroom Door - Need Suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
'98 Scamp - Bathroom Door - Need Suggestions

My previous note asked about the front wall of our Scamp. Here's a detail of the back of the bathroom door hinge:
Click image for larger version

Name:	door_detail.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	55600
It looks like the front fiberglass wall is sandwiched between the crappy molding and this strip of oak. The front molding is probably blind screwed with the screws whose heads you can see.

We want to take off the miserable door and put Something Nice in there. Any ideas?

We'll probably be Under Construction on our first trip...but it sure feel nice to think that spring may actually be around the corner!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Door Replacement

I have replaced all my doors except for the bathroom door with 1/2 inch birch plywood.

I intend to do the bathroom door when I'm home for the summer. It looks rather easy to replace except for that piano hinge with all it's screws. The front molding looks to be screwed on thru the rear molding.

Since the door is so large using 1/2 inch plywood may require a stiffener or two.

I did not treat the edges of the birch plywood other than to urethane the birch. Pictures can be seen under Modifications/Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16, it should be near the end of a rather long post.

I like the looks of the birch over the standard doors, it's inexpensive and easy to work with.

As to the side molding I would simply use similarly dimensioned urethaned pine.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinets2.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
That looks great Norm. I second your vote. But then I'm partial to Birch ply myself.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I replaced my bathroom door(actually, it had been torn off). I used 1/2 birch, plenty of urethane, and new piano hinges. I also used a screen door latch. The molding came off with the blind screws on the back side. I used pre-primed 1x3 to replace the molding. The door has been up for 2 years with no warping(I think the full length piano hinge helped-old door had 3 small hinges. I was able to get all the cabinet doors and the bathroom door out of one sheet of ply.

Tags
scamp