a blank slate - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #15

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Donna, I'm thinking that I'll use a 'self etching' primer from the auto parts store on the belly band, and probably a top coat paint from the same manufacturer to assure compatibility.

I'm looking at Epifanes Monourethane for the gel coat with probably Interlux Prekote for the primer.I'm hoping that all this will make for a durable finish.

Raz asked awhile back about my plans for the interior. I've finally decided not to install the original cabinetry and instead replace it with wood - poplar & birch. The exception is the closet adjacent to the entry door - though I'll dress it out in wood so it blends in with the rest. (I'll eventually post the original fiberglass cabinets in the classifieds as 'free to a good home'.)

I appreciate everyone's input.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #16

North Carolina
Registry
Another small step forward

We decided we like the Fantastic Vent fan in our current trailer so much that the Scamp will need one as well. So, I cut a hole in the roof and epoxied in place a wooden frame to screw the vent flange into (another idea borrowed from Kevin). Next step is to coat the frame with epoxy.

Here are the gory pics. With the clamps in place it looked to me like some sort of robo-insect has taken up residence in the shell.

I've also included a shot showing how I puddled thickened epoxy over the four screws I placed through the roof when I mounted the A/C support. I'll try to shape them up a bit with some sandind, though they should wind up pretty much hidden beneath the A/C shroud.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0336.jpg   IMG_0337.jpg  

IMG_0338.jpg  

Old 04-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
SMEV makes a nice sink/stove combo which is less than 32" wide, it can allow for the wider bed when replacing the kitchen.
Here are a couple of pics of "Shelly", a 13 Scamp which was bought with most of the furniture missing. It was not taken to the level to which you are headed but it may give you a couple of ideas....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 020.jpg   May 2009 022.jpg  

May 2009 018.jpg   May 2009 023.jpg  

Old 04-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #18

North Carolina
Registry
Floyd, I love how you did your counter top - very sharp. I also like the combo sink & stove. At this point I'm thinking about leaving the stove out and opting for an outdoor kitchen. As it turns out, I saw a pic of your interior back when I was researching how to lay out a larger bed. I borrowed your idea for cutting out a section of the side closet to accommodate the bed (thanks!).

As far as 'the level' I'm aiming for, I learned from my last trailer project that the concept is the easy part, it's the execution that's hard (at least for a 'learn as you go along' amateur). We'll see. I've already made some mistakes, but am still having fun.

Thanks for your ideas!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #19

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Wow! Nice work. Good for you : )
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #20

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Your work is looking good. If you were wondering about Red/white color combo ... I'd say it looks good:

1978 Trillium 4500 restoration ...

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:27 AM   #21

North Carolina
Registry
Fred & Natalie, I really like your red & white Trillium!

I've been considering adding a cargo door to my trailer. Yours looks like a marine deck hatch - do you recall the manufacturer?

Thanks, Steve
Old 05-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #22

North Carolina
Registry
Progress !!!

Finally - I've taken another step forward.

After removing the front window and filling the hole I realized that I wasn't quite satisfied. Then I ran across a round window on the net - intended for use in a conversion van. This I like. It has given me the vision for the rebuild that I was struggling to find.

I've attached a few pics showing the framed in bathroom and front closet. Most of the closet will be dedicated to hanging clothes - at Janna's suggestion. The lowest section will probably be a hamper.

The layout creates a sort of 'hallway' at the front of the trailer, which hopefully will visually keep it from feeling so confined - a 58" bed in a 10' cabin really doesn't leave much floor space.

I splurged and bought a Kreg jig ( www.kregtool.com ). It has turned out to be the perfect tool for a novice cabinet maker like myself. Once the freshly painted floor dries I'm going to epoxy in the cabinet, lay down the vinyl flooring and glue in the two plywood walls I already have cut.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0342.jpg   IMG_0339.jpg  

IMG_0341.jpg   IMG_0344.jpg  

Old 05-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #23

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Love the porthole window. You are doing a terrific job. Keep the photos coming. I agree with the color choices.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #24

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Really nifty porthole. Great job!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #25

North Carolina
Registry
Time for an update

Some more progress pics to share -

1st one is a shot from outside the door showing off the partially framed up cabinet and cupboard. The vessel sink started out as a pragmatic choice to free up under the counter storage space - but we are really pleased with the look. Still shopping for a faucet.

2nd: the entry door closet with the main section to be configured as a hanging clothes closet, the bottom for shoes, and the top for hats and such.

3rd: another shot of the cabinet. Right now it is just dry fitted, but the pic shows how I tabbed it. I'll add a supporting column to reinforce the roof.

4th: a view into what will be the bathroom (toilet only). It's so small the door will have to remain open when it is in use, but the open door will act to block the view from the rest of the trailer.

Tech note - I tried PL Premium adhesive for some of the tabbing but have had mixed results. I'm sticking with epoxy and fiberglass for anything structural.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0349.jpg   IMG_0347.jpg  

IMG_0346.jpg   IMG_0348.jpg  

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Wow that is really nice work. Emphasis on work!

Idea for the painted belly band. A budget custom touch that used to be common on motor cycles was to paint the jugs black then run a sanding block or very fine file along the fins to remove the paint. Gave the motor a shiny accent stripe.

If your painting your belly band you might want to consider this approach to giving the band an aluminum accent pin stripe along the edges.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #27

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Love the progress you have made. Keep the pix coming.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #28

North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If your painting your belly band you might want to consider this approach to giving the band an aluminum accent pin stripe along the edges.
I like this idea! Thanks.