A/C Scamp 13' Rear Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
A/C Scamp 13' Rear Window

Here is a Scamp 13' with a Frigidaire 5000 btu I put in today. No windows needed to be removed. The a/c can be set in from the rear all you need to do is wrap the window with pipe wrapping. Insert the a/c from the rear and slide the front 4.5 inch board in place. I haven't trimmed the outside yet but will do the same on the rear. Takes all of two minutes to install and when I'm traveling I will remove the a/c and set it inside and close the window.
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire 5000 BTU 002.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Great idea. Like the fact it's removable 😃
Old 06-15-2014, 04:41 AM   #3

Florida
With the a/c on low the thermostat set at 6 the camper cooled to 72 degrees within 20 minutes, outside temp 90 degrees. The a/c is small enough to store under the front couch out of sight. The a/c was purchased at Sears for $120 not a bad alternative comparing to a roof top a/c less drag, less amps it uses 500 watts and will easily run on a 2000 watt generator. It's very quiet. I'm so happy with the preformance of such a little a/c.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:28 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I purchased one of those from Lowe's and installed it in my 16' Scamp but was not happy with it. I don't know if I got a bad one but I returned it and bought a 6,000 BTU from Home Depot that I am much happier with. In the stock location I would not have been able to remove and clean the filter on the 5,000 unit but the filter on the 6,000 removes from the front.

It is great the way the 5,000 fits in the window and certainly should cool a 13'. It is certainly more efficient a location shooting the air straight out instead of having to turn 90 degrees from the stock location. We spent a week at the beach a couple of weeks ago (end of May) and our new 6,000 ran 24/7 and did a good job cooling our 16' but certainly was not too much unit. It was about maxed out physical size wise in the stock location and I am glad I took the trouble to cram it in there. I saw a 8,000 BTU unit at WalMart the other day, think it was a Hier, that did not appear to be much bigger physically than my 6,000.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Florida
I like the ease of just sliding it into the window from the rear when needed. When not needed it stores nicely under the front sofa. The filter has a good 3" clearance so cleaning it will not be a problem.
Attached Thumbnails
003.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 AM   #6

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Nice. That should work fine. I also like the fact it can be easily set up and removed. Good Job
Old 06-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #7

Florida
I saw one that was installed in a cabinet with a drip pan under it. I could see needing a larger unit if installed that way. Everything is outside and a straight path through no 90 degree turns, 72 degrees on low. Very efficient, sq footage is less than 70 so the 5000btu works great.

Tags
scamp