A different heater. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
A different heater.

A potential heater application for an RV trailer. My experience with the Espar (Eberspacher) D2 is excellent, it the best RV heater I have ever own. Had it for a while in the Sprinter RV and love it. The heater operates on four levels of heat output, at the lowest level it is extremely quiet. Heat level is selected automatically according to the actual to set points temperatures difference.

If I had a fiberglass trailer with LPG installation I would use UK made Propex heater. If I had no LPG installation, just an electric trailer, I would use an Espar D2 or alike one fueled by diesel or preferably kerosene.

Fuel consumption varies from 0.02 to 0.07 gal/hr. and it depends on the ambient temperature. In 16’ trailer and 30F I would guess 1 gal of kerosene would last 2-3 days.

These types of heaters are very popular in the boating and the trucking industry where diesel fuel is often on board. A friend of mine, heavily involved with electric vehicles, told me that these types of heaters are often installed in electric vehicles to extend driving distance range.

Heaters combustion chambers are aluminum casts so any perforation is extremely unlikely, not like the zinc coated steel combustion chambers in the domestic heaters, I had to replace one. Intake air and exhaust are vented from one plane, heaters can be mounted on the floor or on the wall. During start up there is a roaring noise from the combustion chamber so an exhaust muffler, often supplied, is definitely recommended. Practically all of these heaters are supplied with thermostats with built in diagnostics for example the Espar D2. Some Chinese heaters even come with wireless remotes.

Espar - Germany
Espar Airtronic D2 Bunk Heater w/ Installation Kit from BunkHeaters.com

Webasto - Germany
New Interior Air Heater Webasto Air Top 2000 St 12V 2 0 KW Diesel for All Cars | eBay

Snugger - China
AirSnugger 2KW Diesel Fired Bunk/Marine Air Heater 7800 btu | Parking Heater Parts

Various Chinese
Shop parking heater air online - Buy parking heater air for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Planar - Russia
Planar Heaters. Diesel Air Heater PLANAR 2D-12 (-24)

George.
Attached Thumbnails
1-www.espar.comfileadmindatacountrysitesEB_KanadapdfAirtronic_D2-D4-D5_Spec_sheet.pdf - Google C.jpg   1-Airtronic 2-4 TD 11-2012 EN.pdf - Adobe Reader 1112015 102255 AM.jpg  

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hmmmmm.... First and foremost, as almost everyone here has a towable FGRV,with an LP system installed, help me understand why these are better furnaces for FGRV use, at least as compared to the Atwood Everest-Star II.
Everest Star 7900 II Camper Furnace, 16,000 BTUs

1. The first two examples cost between 60% and 110% more.
2. They put out a lot less heat vs. the 16000 BTU Atwood. 50% less for the D2
3. They are a very odd shape to install in an RV without custom ducting. The Atwood is designed specifically for RV installations.
4. There is apparently no sales, parts or service support in the U.S.

I used and worked on the Eberspacher heaters (BN-4's?) used in VW Type-181's and they worked great, but you needed gasoline for them to work.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmmm.... First and foremost, as almost everyone here has a towable FGRV,with an LP system installed, help me understand why these are better furnaces for FGRV use, at least as compared to the Atwood Everest-Star II.
Everest Star 7900 II Camper Furnace, 16,000 BTUs

1. The first two examples cost between 60% and 110% more.
2. They put out a lot less heat vs. the 16000 BTU Atwood. 50% less for the D2
3. They are a very odd shape to install in an RV without custom ducting. The Atwood is designed specifically for RV installations.
4. There is apparently no sales, parts or service support in the U.S.

I used and worked on the Eberspacher heaters (BN-4's?) used in VW Type-181's and they worked great, but you needed gasoline for them to work.
All good points,

I had domestic RV LPG heaters since 1977, and found their noise not acceptable for me. They are full blast on or no heat, and on/off all night, didn't like it. The Espar D2 has proportional control at 4 levels. As I qualified my post, if you have LPG on board just disregard this info, go to Propex.

My current RV has the quietest heater I have ever had, so I want to share this new experience perhaps useful for some of you having electric only trailers. So, if you don’t have LPG on board and are willing to spend money you can learn perhaps some useful information.

Espar D2 is sufficient for long and tall Sprinters with internal cubature likely higher than 16’ trailer. So compare it to Everest Star III 12 BTU - 8” x 11” x 21” at 23 lbs. versus Espar D2 5”x 6” x 12”, at 6 lbs., but this comparison is a moot point, if you have LPG don’t go there.

Espar and Webasto have good support in US, Snugger and Planar some, Chinese copycats – doubtful. Ask Semi Truck’s drivers about Espar's or Webasto's service availability.

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #4

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Are those VW gas heaters similar to the salamander type heaters used in shops and on job sites in the winter? I once had a VW beetle with a "gas" heater and it was a godsend in the winter as the earlier Beetles would never get very warm with the stock heater.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

The Eberspracher's are an "Enclosed Combustion" heater not to unlike the usual RV furnaces by Atwood and others. except that they run on gasoline or other petroleum products. The 1973 VW Thing had one (1974 had the non-heating warm air type found on Beetles) All of the military versions used in Germany also had them. A similar version was an option in some areas for Beetles.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Had one in my VW Fastback. Rather unnerving when it lit up with a loud explosion. Didn't happen all the time, but often enough that I was reluctant to fire it up.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #7

Name: Chester
Trailer: Scamp
New York
I drive semi truck and use Eberspach erevery night, best thing ever invented for truck heating. my Eberspacher heater works without any service for last 6 years, keeps inside @ 70 f or whatever temperature i set even when outside -10 f. Planar heaters can be found for as low as $650 and work good also.
Slavcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Had one in a 1965 VW Dormobile (Camper with a British Top) and it was wonderful.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #9

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
+1 for the propex. Very quiet, mounts under the trailer so takes exactly zero space. I think uses around one pound of propane / 4 hrs. All propane is outside body of trailer. Cost around $800 IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #10

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
I have a diesel fired Mikuni heater that I will be installing in my 13' Boler. I own the heater already, so it makes sense to use it. I am debating on where to mount. I am considering underneath or on the front V with the hitch. Thoughts?
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 PM   #11

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
too funny Bob.....

"I used and worked on the Eberspacher heaters (BN-4's?) used in VW Type-181's and they worked great, but you needed gasoline for them to work."

GASOLINE ?....now that's a great fuel to keep you warm while you're sleeping...sheeeesh! and I thought you were the "super-safe" guy...LOL

I was in the passenger seat of a VW fastback that burned to the gound on a cold snowy night....and another one I knew suffered the same fate....no thanks....you worry about battery fumes but don't mind having gasoline around????

my choice would be propex, from what I've read....but if one had the room a Newport LP gas heater/fireplace (used extensively in sailboats, same volume as out trailers) would be a really nice touch
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #12

Diesel Heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis View Post
I have a diesel fired Mikuni heater that I will be installing in my 13' Boler. I own the heater already, so it makes sense to use it. I am debating on where to mount. I am considering underneath or on the front V with the hitch. Thoughts?
Other than the fact that you have one, WHY a diesel heater. What with all you have to add, and the issue of fuel, I can't see any advantage.... please help us all learn.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

Name: Lethbridge
Trailer: 13' Boler
Alberta
This is the heater I have
Mikuni | Marine Heaters | Vehicle Heaters

My Boler has no furnace in it, I already have the heater. I had it in an older VW van for camping and it works awesome. I have a small fuel tank that I fill with diesel fuel and it lasts any camping trip I have ever used it for, that is why I want to use this heater.

I could sell it, buy a propane heater, but I would still be in the same boat on where to mount it.

I am just wondering where people think the best place to mount any heater is. I like the idea of underneath with only 1 hole needing to be cut, to allow the heat duct into the trailer.
davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #14

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
those look good....

and expensive (but you allready have the thing).....what's a propex ? almost 800 bucks or so.....yeah it makes sense if you have it...i'd go that route...fuel would be a bit of a hassle but you're used to that already.....looks like a pretty sophisticated unit......when you first mentioned diesel, I had visions of old diesel cook stoves...LOL...
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote