A few scamp 13 ideas - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
A few scamp 13 ideas

Just a few things i wanted to share with the forum.

First one i haven't seen done is a paper towel holder between rear side cabinet and kitchen cabinet. I have a big beg scamp so it may be different for people with a standard bed. I used a camco refrigerator 17" tension bar to hold the paper towel roll, it works great.

The second one, i know Dometic makes a kit to keep the flame from blowing out on the refrigerator while towing, but i don't have time to wait for one to ship because I'm leaving on a trip in a couple of days. I made my own out of some scrap sheet metal. Tested with a leaf blower and its working well, the tension between the refrigerator controls and the vent keep the piece in place.

Next one is the stove cover, the wooden one that came with the scamp is so heavy and bulky. I bought a nordicware 2" tall half sheet baking pan and it works fine to cover the stove and clear the control knobs. I also found a cutting board about the right size to fit on top. Finally i was able to use a small bungy cord to hook around the lip at each end of the stove to keep it all in place while towing.

Next, is my voltage/amperage display unit, it is a Drok unit from amazon. I tested it against a Fluke clamp current meter and it seems to be accurate. A nice feature is the low voltage protection which actually physically disconnects the battery (via a relay) when voltage goes under a set point. The display unit is wireless and i'm not 100% sure it will stay in its current location, but thats what i came up with for now. Under the Drok is the ambient weather thermometer, its outdoor probe is mounted in the refrigerator and its removable from its mount so that I can keep an eye on the fridge from the car while towing.

I found a shower mirror at Home Depot that fits perfectly on the back of the closet door.

Lastly, I installed this neat camco plastic bag holder. I will use this as my scamp garbage can. I also complimented it with a plastic bag storage thingy that i found at Menards.

It is fun to try to figure out creative ways to utilize the scamp 13 to its maximum potential. Friends and family have been telling me it looks so small on the outside, but they are surprised, just how much is on the inside and how usable it is.

I have plenty more modifications and improvements on the idea sheet, just no time to implement them just yet. One thing for sure is that 3m command hooks and 3m vhb tape are my best friends lol.
Attached Thumbnails
20180425_215331.jpg   20180424_193905.jpg  

20180424_193907.jpg   20180425_215543.jpg  

20180425_215354.jpg   20180416_200305.jpg  

20180414_170944.jpg   20180415_155204.jpg  

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Great towel holder. The simplest ideas are the best! Only works on the big bed model.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Great towel holder. The simplest ideas are the best! Only works on the big bed model.
Until you find your roll of towels all unrolled and on the floor when you get to your destination.

But a rubber band will fix that.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Until you find your roll of towels all unrolled and on the floor when you get to your destination.

But a rubber band will fix that.
Lol, yes I thought of that scenario already. I have rubberbands for that and the top cabinet doors.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Good point. I've even had a roll come apart while it was stored in an open bin inside a cabinet... It was an unusually rough road!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:57 AM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Fun ain't it??
Every day it just gets better and more personalized!
That is a good part of the fun of Scamp ownership.

Here's one...Replace your shower rod with a cafe rod, then use stainless key rings instead of shower rings to hang 1/2 of a clear $5 shower curtain.
This gives you more room in the shower, easier deployment and it eliminates that aggravating "clinging curtain" caused by cold air coming through the door
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Lol, yes I thought of that scenario already. I have rubberbands for that and the top cabinet doors.
Simply crush the roll before placing it on the rod, making the core oval instead of round.
You can still roll it but it won't unroll by itself.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:02 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Simply crush the roll before placing it on the rod, making the core oval instead of round.
You can still roll it but it won't unroll by itself.
Ditto.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
When the cheese is gone the hole reaches infinity......

Or does it the finite reach the infinite, and where does space stop....

(I have loved that sig ever since I got on the forum)
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 AM   #10

Name: G
Trailer: Damon
Alberta
Scamp13,

Hey, pretty neat ideas, especially the paper holder! About the drok, which model and is it from Amazon dot com or dot ca?? Thanks W.
workhorsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:15 AM   #11

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by workhorsed View Post
Hey, pretty neat ideas, especially the paper holder! About the drok, which model and is it from Amazon dot com or dot ca?? Thanks W.
Just click on the word Drok in my first post, its linked to Amazon
Old 04-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #12

IL
I managed to add one more last minute mod. I bought This wifi video sender and i used a cheap ebay backup camera to send video to my phone. Made a simple L bracket attached to the window mounting screws to hold the camera. Tested out last night and it works well, live video and more than enough quality for backing up and just seeing what is behind me.

One caveat, if you are connected to the wifi of the video sender you will have no internet on your phone, i am using a spare phone for this that doesn't have a sim card in it. Also, i took apart the camera and i disabled the night vision leds, if you don't do this you will get reflections off of the window at night and the camera will not be usable. I already had the camera, better option would be to use one without the night vision leds.
Attached Thumbnails
image-20180411_224940.jpg   20180427_005013.jpg  

20180427_005042.jpg   20180427_005355.jpg  

Old 04-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Viva has a paper towel roll that wont unroll on you. You have to actually pull it off the roll. In the store look for the VIVA plain paper with no print or textured design. It comes in the pick a size sheet and in standard full size sheets that are much harder to find. Bets thing for camping, wont unroll when bouncing down the road and wont unfurl in the wind either.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #14

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Viva has a paper towel roll that wont unroll on you. You have to actually pull it off the roll. In the store look for the VIVA plain paper with no print or textured design. It comes in the pick a size sheet and in standard full size sheets that are much harder to find. Bets thing for camping, wont unroll when bouncing down the road and wont unfurl in the wind either.
This piece of information is the best thing to happen to me so far today! Seriously!! Thanks for sharing
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #15

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Another idea for your unrolling paper towels is to simply slip a paperclip on one end, clipping together 3-4 sheets. Stops them from "decorating" while on the road.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
Nice Updates!

We have this paper towel holder in our kitchen at home. It has a ratchet that keeps it from rolling freely. I also like that you can load it just by slipping the roll on from one end.

We liked it so much that I got another one and put it in the Boler. I mounted it vertically on the bed side of the closet (up high enough to keep it out of the way but low enough to allow the roll to slip on).
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Your trailer has a 3 way fridge. Why are you using the gas when you tow? If you have a 12 V line on your tow harness, then you should be golden on keeping the fridge running while in transit.
brettl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettl View Post
Your trailer has a 3 way fridge. Why are you using the gas when you tow? If you have a 12 V line on your tow harness, then you should be golden on keeping the fridge running while in transit.
Running the fridge on 12V from the tow vehicle takes all the power that is generated, leaving none to charge the trailer house battery.
So, if you've been camping a couple days and the battery is run down, it will still be run down when you get to your next destination.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks so much for posting your ideas! I love "low-tech" solutions that work! Keep them coming!
  • Viva towels are known, among watercolor artists, as the best paper towels as they have no quilting and as such leave no imprint on one's artwork in progress, when "blotting" as they are most like cloth.
  • Personally, in addition, I like to bring blue "shop towels" when camping as they are tough and stand up to the hard use they get . https://www.amazon.com/Kimberly-Clar.../dp/B00S0LBOQA
  • I just put my rolls of towels on a shelf in the closet. I found towel holders, in my tiny camper, to be a nuisance.
  • Even though I call myself the "Gleeful Glamper" I stop at bringing a mirror when camping as I definitely do not wear make-up or fuss about my hair when camping.
  • I really like your burner cover idea. To make the unit multi-purpose you could turn the pan upside down to serve as a tray to bring meals, and other items, from the indoor kitchen to the outside picnic table. I find two trays, one for me and one for my DH, to be of great help.
  • I really like your "garbage can" solution. I'm on the verge of getting rid of my small metal "pop-open" can as it is getting rusty and is always in the way. We generate about one small bag of garbage per day and throw it away after dinner in order to minimize garbage smells. Where to keep extra bags is always an issue. You have solved both issues handily! While I use "re-usable" shopping bags at home to be eco-friendly, I confess to re-using the plastic grocery shopping bags we collect on the road to dispose of daily garbage. As much as possible we reduce, re-use & re-cycle while camping AND at home.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #20

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
A couple photos of our 13' interior...
  • The picnic table set with my Autumn glamping theme. Note the trays used as placemats and as an easy way to transport things to and from the trailer.
  • Cloth shoe holder modified to hold things on the closet door.
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg   Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 049.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp