A new home for our Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2015, 08:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
A new home for our Trillium

After a good 3 years of planning, altering structures and dealing with SNAFU's our Trillium finally made it into it's new home ... our garage!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Finally.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	91400

Long story short, the 7' high standard door was replaced with an 8' roll up door. The wooden mezzanine over the trailer was on verge of collapsing and was replaced with warehouse racking. And today for the first time the trailer made it into the garage. It's a tight fit, backing down the driveways hill from a 4 lane major street for the first time was a little nerve wracking. I block off a lane with the rear of the trailer just starting through the door. You have to time it to the traffic lights.

Lengthwise with the current spare tire holder there is not too much spare room front to back. I'm thinking one of those electric trailer dollies may be the answer to getting it positioned just right. I'm wondering how Dave Tilston is coming along with his homemade design?

Needless to say, today I'm a happy camper! I no longer have to worry about people stealing my propane tanks in broad daylight or driver-less cars rolling into my trailer. My trailer will be away from the city grime and the elements. With the trailer out of sight, it won't be so easy to tell when we are on vacation. Yee-haw!!!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
nice work there Roy....
Old 12-30-2015, 04:15 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Good for you. I remember the propane tank incident. Oh, by the way, your lights are on Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Good job. Bet you're glad to have had it protected from the snow in the last few days eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #5

Thanks guys.

Lights were the 4 ways still flashing.

Although Ol' man winter was late for us this year, I didn't beat him. He rolled in just as rush hour was starting and the garage was finally ready. But he was kind to us. Only 2" of snow, followed by freezing rain then rain - all overnight. By the time I had cleared out both the windrow and the driveway, the temperature rose to +6 C and the snow on the trailer had melted.

Come 2016 I can start taking out the windows to replace the wood behind them. I won't need to worry about Mother Nature or the local low life. Houston we have a plan and it's all coming together.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #6

Name: Earl and Kathryn
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Excellent!
EarlandKathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #7

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Last summer I bought a manual trailer dollie at Princess Auto for about $65 . It works great to move my 14ft Surf Side in a similar situation to yours. I am not a big guy and I have no problem using it .
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:29 PM   #8

Thanks Bob.
I've got a manual one. I'll have to give it a try with the last bit of positioning. The grade is too steep for one person to do it safely. I don't think I'd even want to try with 2 people. Plus just in front of the garage door there is a depression the entire width with a grate for water drainage.

I'm not a big guy either, I was thinking the electric one might let myself or Carol Ann in TO be able to maneuver it enough to hook up or unhook it on more level ground. Princess Auto used to sell the electric ones - I can find the user manual but can't find the item. Which makes me think they stopped carrying them.

Now I'm wondering if the e-brakes work in reverse? I could MacGuyver a break away switch to apply the brakes manually.
Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #9

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
Ontario
Looks nice and secure. Did you have to have the brickworks modified to fit tne new garage door?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape
I have been keeping my BOLER and then my Escape in the garage since I bought them. keeps them nice and dry. It may be overkill but i also run a 90 watt heater during the winter. Found a 2006 Escape that was lower than the current models and had side mounted ac. We love it, probably a good Idea to keep in mind if anyone is looking to change homes. My home came with a 8 ft door as do all the homes in my neighborhood. Can not express how easy it is too keep. I just pull it in and out with my tug. You are going to love it.
Grant Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm wonering how Dave Tilston is coming along with his homemade design?
David hasn't been around since 2 December. I sent him a PM a few days ago. No reply yet. Perhaps he's off on one of his adventures and we're in for a good story. Raz
Old 12-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Roy
Another rather simple option is to mount a receiver hitch on the front if your truck ....

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Roy
Another rather simple option is to mount a receiver hitch on the front if your truck ....
And, then what can you see, besides an expanse of white trailer?
At least backing it in, you have the mirrors, which give you a view down each side of the trailer.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
A spotter... I mean really

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil 4500 View Post
Looks nice and secure. Did you have to have the brickworks modified to fit tne new garage door?
Thanks Phil,

The brickwork was the easy part, it is brick veneer (non supporting).

We set up the warehouse racking 13" from the front wall and used that to form a temporary roof support. The existing wooden header and supporting structures were removed from the inside. We then cut a slot in the mortar a foot higher and moved the existing angle iron lentil up. The bricks were then removed and a few spare pieces were used to fix up the sides of the opening.

The header was replaced with engineered wood beams at the appropriate height. The roof support was then moved back to the new header. The 13" space was to allow for the 12x12 box of the roll up door.
Door Installation - ENVIROroll Products

I've got a couple of minor things to do in order to finish this phase of the project.

Next year is another story. During the construction we found the rear wall was in danger of collapsing so we installed a new main beam there as an interim measure. That fix is going to need replacement of retaining walls and underpinning the rear garage foundation. We are contemplating a rear door in the garage which would allow a trailer access to the rear yard.

That is going to require some thinking though ... there is a 3/4 story drop to ground level in the rear. I foresee some exploratory digging, engineers and committee of adjustment before we can even think of getting a building permit. Our proximity to the river which is part of a designated flood control area puts a good chunk of our rear yard under Toronto's notorious Tree and Ravine By-Law. Going through the approval process will take months and cost almost as much as the work itself. A small lottery win would go a long way!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
David hasn't been around since 2 December. I sent him a PM a few days ago. No reply yet. Perhaps he's off on one of his adventures and we're in for a good story. Raz
You got me a bit worried there. David and almost a month of no FGRV just don't usually go hand in hand. So I called him. We had a great chat, all is well and we should be seeing more of him again in the new year.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:30 AM   #17
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
You got me a bit worried there. David and almost a month of no FGRV just don't usually go hand in hand. So I called him. We had a great chat, all is well and we should be seeing more of him again in the new year.
Good news. Raz
Old 01-03-2016, 11:57 AM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Nova Scotia
Looks good tucked away Roy...I'm jealous...lol!
Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
No story, just took a month off. Next time I will check in more regularly. It was sure nice to get to know my family again.

It sure must be nice to have a heated space for you Trillium.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium