A new way to install AC - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-11-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 86 Scamp 16 ft
Im on a new journey to install an ac system in my scamp. What do you think if i install the ac in the floor beneath the Table. It would raise up when traveling, and drop down when parked. I would need some sort of mechanism. I could probably create something but i thinks its easier to modify someone elses genius. I will get a picture of what i tried before tommorrow.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Im on a new journey to install an ac system in my scamp. What do you think if i install the ac in the floor beneath the Table. It would raise up when traveling, and drop down when parked. I would need some sort of mechanism. I could probably create something but i thinks its easier to modify someone elses genius. I will get a picture of what i tried before tommorrow.
We once had a camper that had the AC under the table..if you sat at the table with the AC on your legs got to cold and people around the table blocked the air flow into the living space.....if you had the table made down into a bed the air got traped under the bed and we had to have a fan set right at the edge of the bed to pull the air out into the room. We gave that camper to our daughter and after several years of her going thru the same problems..this past year we did a remodle on it and moved the AC to the outside wall ,so it is no longer in under tables or cabnets.

If you search this sight I think you will find several AC installs that might just work real well for you.

Good Luck and remember ..it is your camper and you should have fun making it fit you...Lynn

Old 02-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
That sounds like a novel idea....sounds like you are going to cut a hole in the floor and drop it in when parked? The one thing i would check is if the compressor will function correctly for a long period because they have oil in the line with the freon to lubricate the compressor and in that position i'm not sure.... I'm sure someone would know the answer to that as i know when i transport a regular house refrigerator on it's back in an enclosed pickup i was told to stand it up and let the oil settle to the bottom for 24 hours before starting.
If that works you gotta send pics of that.

Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
If by putting it in the floor your saying it would draw outside air from under the trailer, I would question that all the air being drawn in would be from the hot trapped dusty/dirty air under the trailer and if you are parked on asphalt ...... I so could be wrong, but it's just my thought. Hopefully someone who has tried this will be able to have some input. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #5

Arrow

Ok here is what I tried. I got the idea from some pet ac units. The unit blew lots of cold air but since it did not remove the moisture (return line) it was a flop. I have heard this works it you open the hatch or window slightly to remove the pressure, but I had no luck. I would say it cooled maybe 5 deg different than outside temp. The picture on the right shows the outlet vents, the are metal ducted to the back and stick out the floor about 1-1/2". I cap them in the winter. I think the ac unit that i need would have to be like an ac unit on top thats flipped over. The floor would have a return built into it. when the unit would drop down it would make the vent connections. It would be just like [at] home.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05305.jpg   DSC05302.jpg  

Old 02-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Unhappy

Quote:
If by putting it in the floor your saying it would draw outside air from under the trailer, I would question that all the air being drawn in would be from the hot trapped dusty/dirty air under the trailer and if you are parked on asphalt ...... I so could be wrong, but it's just my thought. Hopefully someone who has tried this will be able to have some input. Good Luck!
I never thought about the dirt, when you raise it up you could change the vent. I used to design those little shacks you see by the railroad tracks. There always were 12 x 12 holes with filters & wire mesh in the floor and an exhaust vents in the roof to suck the cool air from below and the hot air out the top.-the cheap ones that is. The good ones had ac units.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #7

New River AZ
I seen one a few years back that used that regular house air conditioner in your picture and they had it mounted into the side bench seat in your photo and then they installed a larger wider cargo door outside and they simply opened the door to let it breathe and had a drip hose to send the water outside......the unit did not stick outside the trailer .....when they traveled they simply closed the outside hatch door...... wish i saved that photo
Joe
Old 02-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
I seen one a few years back that used that regular house air conditioner in your picture and they had it mounted into the side bench seat in your photo and then they installed a larger wider cargo door outside and they simply opened the door to let it breathe and had a drip hose to send the water outside......the unit did not stick outside the trailer .....when they traveled they simply closed the outside hatch door...... wish i saved that photo
Joe
I have been thinking about that, but putting the unit on rails and slide it out when on site. I guess I'm determined to drop it down and low.hehehe
Old 02-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #9

New River AZ
Whatever you do please post pictures as i can see by your pictures in the background you have a nice shop setup there and looks like whatever you do it will be done right.

Just for added info i installed a brand new ac house unit in my 16 casita at floor level that froze my house bedroom out...... well in the casita the hot air was still at the ceiling and it didn't cool it all that much so i snipped my wire type temperature probe and ran it up to the ceiling..... big difference for me now i can get it 70 degrees right up to the ceiling without it cycling on and off too soon.(I tried deflectors and fans but moving the probe by far was the best) the old ac's have a tube instead of a wire and you definately don't want to cut that or bye bye ac LOL
Joe
Old 02-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 1975 Boler
I was just at an a RV show and this is how they are doing the AC units in the smaller units. It also seems to be a regular window unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_inside.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	26276

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC_outside.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	26277
Old 02-13-2010, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
I was just at an a RV show and this is how they are doing the AC units in the smaller units. It also seems to be a regular window unit.
I'll be danged. I should probably attend one of these shows, never been to one. I'm still determined to going down under. Anybody seen some sort of lift mechanism, something that swings up, or shaft driven screw drive movement or maybe cable driven? I think the olny design requiremnts would be it can lift 100 lbs. Im on the hunt. I like turning old useless metal into something useable.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #12

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
You might want to consider reversing the units elevation... make it down for travel, and up for use. Under the table puts it behind the axle... meaning the 50 lb or so of AC will be effecting the trailers towing performace. Best to keep the AC unit as low as you can, and as close to the center, or at best forward of the axle as possible when it's traveling.

I have a confession...I'm a closet AC person.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #13

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Not sure I'd like the AC located over the table - won't it be dumping cold air down your back while you sit there? Maybe check this one out - it could go in the closet or would fit under the stove, if you want to give up the fridge space. Dimensions: 24 3/4"h x 19 1/4"w x 13 1/4"d. 8000BTU Not a bad price, $300 w/free shipping.
http://www.compactappliance.com/PAC8000S-K...default,pd.html