A really, really, really good rear view camera. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 11:36 AM   #21

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
I have a 17' Bigfoot I absolutely love. I'm adding improved lighting and other upgrades.

One thing I really need is a rear-view cam. Not for the hitch - but for full time rear view on the trailer. Perhaps on the sides of the trailer, too. But I think one cam in the back is enough.

I've looked through the forum and found a thread about cheap wireless. I get the feeling wireless is not good enough. It simply doesn't work 100% of the time. Prove me wrong.

I also like the idea of putting a cam on the inside of the rear window of the trailer instead of mounting it outside. I love avoiding drilling holes and I don't mind suction cupping when driving and stowing the cam when not in use.

I'm wondering who really loves their camera and what brand and model they are using.

<><><>

Image is my nightmare, not my accident.
The best rear view monitor I've had was a wired system from Rear View Safety. It was a pain to install (running wiring from the hitch to the front of the tow vehicle, but the picture was great.

Rather than add a connector & wiring when I switched to a truck, I switched to a wireless camera from Tadi Brothers. The transmitter was located in the front of the trailer (using the wiring from the old wired system) and receiver under the dash of the truck. No problems with drop out. The system included a mirror mount monitor, which was a great position, however it was coated to be reflective (when used as a mirror) and that reduced the contrast too much for my liking. Tadi Brothers sent me a replacement, less reflective monitor, but I still preferred a standard one. I found Tadi Brothers very helpful, both for putting together the system & working to make me happy afterwards...

My current trailer was supplied with a Rear View Safety wireless system. Even though the transmitter is built into the camera, no drop out. The refresh rate is slower than the wired system, but perfectly adequate. The 5" monitor is suction cupped to the windshield.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:42 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
The best rear view monitor I've had was a wired system from Rear View Safety. It was a pain to install (running wiring from the hitch to the front of the tow vehicle, but the picture was great.

Rather than add a connector & wiring when I switched to a truck, I switched to a wireless camera from Tadi Brothers. The transmitter was located in the front of the trailer (using the wiring from the old wired system) and receiver under the dash of the truck. No problems with drop out. The system included a mirror mount monitor, which was a great position, however it was coated to be reflective (when used as a mirror) and that reduced the contrast too much for my liking. Tadi Brothers sent me a replacement, less reflective monitor, but I still preferred a standard one. I found Tadi Brothers very helpful, both for putting together the system & working to make me happy afterwards...

My current trailer was supplied with a Rear View Safety wireless system. Even though the transmitter is built into the camera, no drop out. The refresh rate is slower than the wired system, but perfectly adequate. The 5" monitor is suction cupped to the windshield.
I've tried the mirror mounted monitors and they suck in my opinion. I ordered a seperate 4.3" monitor and would never go back to the mirror mount ones.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
If I ever get another system, I want a better one. I bought the "PEAK" from Advanced Auto...but I get LOTS of interference. It's on 2.4 Mhz which is "wifi" frequencies. I wish they would step it up.

A funny story with mine: We were in Gulf Shores. My Scamp was at the campground, but I still had my monitor on in my truck. While going through the city of Foley, Al, I was stopped at a light and the monitor proceeded to pick up a SPORTS CHANNEL! So, some "bleed-over" or just coincidentally on the exact 2.4 frequency being transmitted within a close-by business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post

Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:55 PM   #24

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
looks like....

Jon answered the OPs question perfectly....that unit is impressive.....pricey but the OP was not asking about that.

I agree with Darral that people who say a rear camera is not needed and/or a distraction have never driven with one. For me it cut the "stress" of towing in HALF ! I would not drive without one now.

On top of that there is a difference between towing an 8 foot wide, square front BF (OP) and a 7 foot wide rounded corners TT....just as there is a further difference between towing with a pick-up (wider) and a SUV like mine (Nitro).

As for those who say they don't care what is behind them......if there are five cars that I am holding up on a two lane road I'd like to know!!! Maybe it's just me.

Where my camera shines (for me) is when I'm on a narrow deserted road somewhere and looking at/for options....I can immediately know if there's somebody coming (and I have to move over or get going) or if I can take my sweet time if there's nobody in sight.

Personally I find it sort of useless for backing up (as into a parking spot/campsite) I find it way, way too confusing. Most of these cameras are designed for precisely that though and have a field of view between 130 (like the one Jon has now) and 170 degrees....If I had my druthers I would look for a camera with a lower field of view. Mine is about 130 and I find that the vehicles directly in the center of the screen appear smaller than I would like (vehicles 500' back are almost invisible)

I bought a cheap wireless system, installed it inside trailer, drop outs are rare (not an issue for some reason, I must be lucky) one thing the camera can't seem to handle is running in the shade on a bright sunny day...it doesn't "get it" and is way too dark. I hang the five inch screen on the rear view mirror in the TV.

"Wouldn't leave home without it"
I think everybody has their own routine they go through inside the trailer before "hitting the road" (making sure everything is secure)....mine now includes flipping the switch in the rear overhead cabinet
Attached Thumbnails
rearcam2.jpg   rearcam3.jpg  

rearcam4.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #25

New York
Registry
In addition as serving as a rear view mirror, I find the camera useful when I need to back up at a gas station or other stop. I travel solo, so there is no one to get out & check behind me. If I do it, someone is sure to walk behind the trailer after I get back in the driver's seat.

I agree that it isn't useful for backing into a site - there I "Get Out & Look".
Old 11-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
As for those who say they don't care what is behind them......if there are five cars that I am holding up on a two lane road I'd like to know!!! Maybe it's just me.
I find most two-lane roads consist of many curves and a few straight stretches. When I check my mirrors on a curve, I can see what's behind me. I also find that sometimes you can see the shadows of cars behind, even if you can't see them.
Usually, there is nothing I can do about those cars except get into the right lane as soon as I get to a passing situation.
Twice I have had to pull onto the shoulder to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle passing when they shouldn't have. Glad I wasn't looking at a camera monitor.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:46 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I find most two-lane roads consist of many curves and a few straight stretches. When I check my mirrors on a curve, I can see what's behind me. I also find that sometimes you can see the shadows of cars behind, even if you can't see them.
Usually, there is nothing I can do about those cars except get into the right lane as soon as I get to a passing situation.
Twice I have had to pull onto the shoulder to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle passing when they shouldn't have. Glad I wasn't looking at a camera monitor.
Looking at the monitor would have been no different than whan you wou look in your mirrors on a curve. If you are staring at the monitor long enough to cause an accident you are using it wrong.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #28

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
My 2 cents :

I always tow now with a rear view camera. Like some one else has said - less stressful. It helps me make lane changes when I want to as I can easily see the exact moment I am fully clear of another vehicle. It just feels more natural to know what's behind you.

To that end I purchased one of these 7" monitors:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-7-TFT-C...kAAOSwBiRZdqv8

It clamps over the rear view mirror and works great. I only put it over the mirror while towing. I leave the wire harness end sticking out near the left side 'a' pillar of my vehicle so that it is easy to plug in. I get power for the mirror monitor from the parking lights (you'll see why in a minute) - you could just use the cigarette lighter.

I ran a 25 ft Rca cable down the inside of the Rav4 and leave it tucked away in a rear side panel when not in use. When I need it I just run it under the rear hatch seal down to the connector.

On the trailer I just put a cheap camera. Looks a a lot like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-...oAAOSw3utY5KGX

I was able to do a special mount job for this but in your case (if that is a picture of the back of your bigfoot) I would just rivet it to the bumper under your spare. It will keep it drier. I would also wire this to the parking lights for power and ground.

I ran another 25ft. RCA cable up the the front of the trailer. (the 2 cables cost about $15 total) Since your connection at the back would be outside the trailer I would use a little bit of heat shrink to keep out water and keep the connection together. Electrical tape is ok but not as good. I just tie strapped the RCA cable to the outside of the trailer wiring underneath the trailer and brought it right to the trailer wiring connector. When I plug the trailer wiring in I also plug in the RCA connector (needed a joiner - $2)

When I hook up the trailer and put the mirror monitor in I always run down the road with my lights on. When I look in the rear view mirror monitor it looks just like you were looking in the mirror on the vehicle. It can be a little tough to see in very bright daylight but I find if I tip the mirror up so that i don't get the reflection of light coming in through the rear glass, it looks good. My wife has thanked me a million times for this set up. We towed from Ontario to St. John's NFLD and back and it was a god send. It is a natural reaction to look up and right to see what's behind you for any good driver who has developed the habit in their everyday driving routine. I feel that a dash mounted screen is not the 'normal' place to look first.

Anyway, we love ours. Our opinion. Cost us less than $120 Canadian and took less than an hour to install the wiring in the car and trailer, and the camera.

By the way, it was originally a wireless system, threw that away after 5 minutes of testing in the driveway with no outside RF interference. Totally useless, at least the cheap wireless was. Got the RCA cables and never looked back - so to speak.

Stef
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:22 PM   #29
Nik

Name: Nik
Trailer: BigFoot
Colorado
The reason for the camera... and the posting.

As the OP I should clarify.

I'm towing a 17' Bigfoot TT with a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser. The trailer is far wider than the tow vehicle. I have great big extension mirrors which I like so much I keep them on even when not towing.

The mirrors help a lot, but still I cannot see anything directly behind me on a straight highway. I've learned to see tailgaters by looking for their shadows.

I can't understand the argument that a camera would be 'distracting' to the driver. Even if it's a blob of an image, just to know there's something there is important. Especially if the blob is trying to pass you on the right when you're changing lanes toward an exit ramp - for example.

A camera for backing up would be nice also, but that's not why I want one. I'd be willing to pay for a really clear, fine, long lasting, works-all-the-time system. But I also like these very cheap systems I'm seeing people here talk about, which seem to work fine.

I'm only interested in wired, unless there was some military-grade wireless system out there - but that would cost too much.

Thanks to all.
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #30

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Rear view

I have a Scamp 13 . When not on gravel roads I simply remove the gravel shield , & open the rear curtains. I’m then , easily able to monitor rear traffic .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:48 AM   #31

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
I can't understand the argument that a camera would be 'distracting' to the driver. Even if it's a blob of an image, just to know there's something there is important. Especially if the blob is trying to pass you on the right when you're changing lanes toward an exit ramp - for example.

I don't see any posts arguing about the cameras Nik, just a difference of opinion of them. The little experience I've had with them they were a total distraction as the view was a continuous rolling picture of the changing road surface, guard rails, trees on the side of the road and cars passing in the other direction behind me and not a concern. Having that 7" screen mounted where the radio, with no pictures goes, the moving picture automatically draws your eyes like it would if something should slide off the dashboard. Thinking about it now, I should have put a piece of tape over the lens for a blank screen . I did use the camera in backing the motor home for parking as a test for distance only. I stopped way short of where I wanted to be, probably because of the camera angle degree and me not being use to it. That may also be the reason the dash view was distracting as the cameras were mounted 10' off the ground. Your natural view from your cars mirrors give you a fairly static view of just vehicles. Think it was Floyd that mentioned the good old basic mirrors work well and I agree. I've often thought of how techy things have changed the thoughts of drivers and possibly changed new drivers basic skills or lack there of. What are you going to do if the camera or automatic back up system quits? The insurance commercial running now of the kid that doesn't know what a lug wrench is comes to mind. Glenn stated correctly you can see how many vehicles are behind you from the normal road curves.
You mention a blob passing on the right when you're going for an exit. Well after driving big stuff for years, I always started making the move to the right lane a mile or more ahead of time as a lot of folks just don't want to let a truck/trailer in as it may cost them a few seconds. Still do that today by habit....ticks off my wife at times .
Sorry for the long post Nik, but you said you didn't understand those of us that have no use for rear cameras but that's my thoughts of them and there are a lot of us old school folks out there . Maybe others will add their reasons too.
But I do have a question for those here that seem to be adamant about having a rear camera. If you had the rear seat of your car loaded so high you couldn't use your center rearview mirror, would you still have the same thoughts/nervousness of someone being close behind you? Just curious to the possible difference in thoughts.
But as said before, everyone's comfort level is different.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:42 AM   #32

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
There are wifi signal repeater (boosters) on the market made for use with the wifi backup cameras. These works like the one in your home where sometimes when the signal strength inside your home from wifi router/modem to one of your rooms is not strong enough so you then plug in a signal repeater between that room and the wifi router/modem. But of course these units made for the auto industry are powered by 12 volts rather than 110v.

It would be easy in my tow vehicle to install one as I have a 12v socket by the rear hatch door of my tow vehicle.

However just like in your home a hardwired cable connection will still result in the best signal.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 AM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I just don't think I will ever put anything like that on my trailer the least of my worries is what is behind me. As Glenn says check when you go around a curve to see if someone just has to pass otherwise I keep my eyes on the road in front of me.

There is so much nonsense on our highways now I don't want any distractions!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #34

New York
Registry
Quote:
As the OP I should clarify.

I'm towing a 17' Bigfoot TT with a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser. The trailer is far wider than the tow vehicle. I have great big extension mirrors which I like so much I keep them on even when not towing.

The mirrors help a lot, but still I cannot see anything directly behind me on a straight highway. I've learned to see tailgaters by looking for their shadows.

A camera for backing up would be nice also, but that's not why I want one. I'd be willing to pay for a really clear, fine, long lasting, works-all-the-time system. But I also like these very cheap systems I'm seeing people here talk about, which seem to work fine.

I'm only interested in wired, unless there was some military-grade wireless system out there - but that would cost too much.

Thanks to all.
While the Rear View System I linked to (and supplied with my Escape 21) is not inexpensive, the image quality is good, the refresh rate acceptable, and I've never had drop out. On the other hand, I did have connector problems with the wired system. The camera current is so low that it is difficult to keep the trailer/tow vehicle connector clean enough to be reliable.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #35

Name: Pete
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Registry
While considering and researching a rear view camera for out Casita, I saw that some backup cameras have infra red lights to provide night time illumination - real handy backing into a campsite at night. These may not work if installed behind a glass window. The extra work involved has kept this project in the planning stage.
pete_britt is offline   Reply With Quote