A spin on led strips - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
A spin on led strips

I have been looking for some better lighting in the scamp and I think I have come up with something that works great for me. The strips are warm white, they diffuse well with the covers, the switch is built into the strip, and it has the ability to dim. These strips are extremely bright on full power and this one strip lights up most of the scamp. I tapped into the power in the existing kitchen light, i may replace the light in the future with a long led strip under the whole cabinet, but i haven't decided if something like marine-tex will cover the rivet holes well enough.

There is a blue status light on the capacities touch switch, i am experimenting with covering it for now, if its a problem at night I will remove the led and just use the black dot as a visual for where to touch the strip to turn it on and dim it. (quick tip, the round sticker is just electrical tape that was stuck to wax paper and cut out with a standard hole puncher)

In the future I think I will be replacing my reading lights with the same style of led strip.

Here is an amazon parts list:

Capacitive touch dimmer switches

5630 led strip, which has bigger and brigher leds than strips of the past

Aluminum led channel
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190911_131808.jpg   IMG_20190911_131835.jpg  

IMG_20190911_131824.jpg   IMG_20190911_132332.jpg  

Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
MD
Registry
I have wanted to do this but didn't know where to start. Thanks for the info, links, and pics.
Air Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #3

IL
Also, the indicator led is very tiny and difficult to get to on the dimmer switch. However, I found nail polish has a small enough brush to fit in between the touch sensor spring and really knocks down the brightness of that blue led.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Another option

I used Armacost LED strips and a non-contact (you just wave or hold your hand above the controller to turn on/of or dim) controller in my 1978 Trillium 4500.

The lighting is all mounted on the underside of a painted wood valance that I installed under the upper cabinets.

Armacost products are available from Lee Valley here in Canada, and from Lee Valley on-line in the US. Warm or Natural White LED Tape Lighting System - Lee Valley Tools

Still trying to decide what to do about reading lights...
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #5

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn.Curt.Wiebe View Post
I used Armacost LED strips and a non-contact (you just wave or hold your hand above the controller to turn on/of or dim) controller in my 1978 Trillium 4500.

The lighting is all mounted on the underside of a painted wood valance that I installed under the upper cabinets.

Armacost products are available from Lee Valley here in Canada, and from Lee Valley on-line in the US. Warm or Natural White LED Tape Lighting System - Lee Valley Tools

Still trying to decide what to do about reading lights...
The led extrusion is thin and sleek enough to still look quite nice even without a valence, with your valence it must look even better though. The most convenient thing to me is the non contact, or in my case light contact, dimming and powering on and off. Less switches and knobs to have to worry about. The brightness of these strips is pretty amazing as well, they really light up the space in the scamp. The original pod lights, even with led bulbs are still pretty directional and cause a lot of shadows.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
Does it make you look orange?
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith Neville View Post
Does it make you look orange?
No these are warm white leds not the harsh daylight versions that make you look orange and shrink your hands....
Old 09-18-2019, 12:09 PM   #8

Name: Judith
Trailer: Eriba Puck
NC
👍👍👍
Judith Neville is offline   Reply With Quote