A Tale of Two CT13's - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #121

Name: K
Trailer: UHaul
New Jersey
Since the front of the camper will be mostly a dinette, and rarely a single bed, I opted for the Lagun table mount, which arrived today. I read a lot of great reviews on it and its versatility was the clincher...

I ordered an Oak Street Manufacturing convertible bar-top table (black and mahogany, of which I will use the black side) that is 24"x30". It is 1" thick and has rubber T-molding around the perimeter. Mounted to the Lagun table mount, I will be able to use it as a swing into position prep table for cooking, swing back as a dinette table, work table and remove it to use the front dinette as a bed when needed.

K Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #122

New Jersey
So, the mattress is fabricated. Damn that was fast! I am hoping to pick it up tomorrow. I will also pick up my template and then send it to a custom sheet making company in South Carolina called AB Lifestyles. https://www.ablifestyles.net/road-ready-rv-sheet-set/ They will be making a set of custom sheets with a fitted bottom sheet and a shaped top sheet with two pillow cases. They said my price will be the same as a Casita with an additional $10 cut fee for my specific shape. It is basically 75"x46".

Also....

The tabletop arrived today. Oak Street Manufacturing produced it. 1" thick, 24"x30" and reversible, however, I would be using the black side only.

And another angle...

Old 02-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #123

New Jersey
New arrivals today from Motion Windows/Peninsula Glass!

So well packed..

I can now, FINALLY close in this camper!! Loving the dark tint!

Old 02-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #124

New Jersey
This means NEW TOOL! Dremel 3" circular saw. I will set the depth to the inner bunk mold piece thickness and voila! At least in theory....

In order to do so, however, I have to remove a strip of the interior front bunk molded piece to allow the window clamp ring to sit properly. So I will set the depth for that piece's thickness and zip along, under the window opening to remove the strip. Voila! At least in theory...

Black line will be shallow depth saw cut (<1/8" deep) and red area will be removed to allow clamp ring to sit flat on the remaining double layer of fiberglass (inner and outer shells). The inside fiberglass 3D shape you see there is the factory shelf that used to hold the long piano style hinge, that in turn held the top bunk. Even though I am not using bunks any longer and this will be dedicated seating, I left the bunk piece because it stiffens the entire front of the shell, and to me, that is a good thing.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #125

New Jersey
55 degrees and sunny today! That means, time outside hitting the punchlist for the Mars Rover. The most important thing was wrapping up the windows. I had previously installed the two side windows, but just received the remaining three windows and wanted them installed sooner rather than later. The door window was first. Easy peasy...

And an inside view of the door window..

Now, to the toughest two windows, the rear and the front. Why toughest? Because there is a slight horizontal curve for these. The windows, however, are not curved. So, the arc difference is between 1/4" and 1/2". In speaking with Motion Windows, we both thought that the slight curve could be handled with a systematic tightening of the clamp rings. I started with the rear window..

Another view..

And the inside. I can't wait to finish that center strip. So ugly. But I digress. Back to the windows. So, the first contact points were the center top and center bottom. Those screws were installed first, but not fully tight. Then, I installed the screws on the way towards the sides, one by one, effectively pulling the window in, and the shell out, little by little. A little tedious, but it went without a hitch.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:18 PM   #126

New Jersey
Now to the front window. I originally thought I would drill and mount the hinges and brackets for the stone guard and gas struts before installing the window. Thinking about tit further, though, I decided to wait until the window is installed before drilling and anchoring them. I was thinking that any material behind the drill holes, into which rivets will be installed, would be in the way if I did the brackets first. Guess we'll see if waiting was a smart decision. So, to install the rear clamp ring properly, I needed the rear surface to be all of the same thickness. That meant cutting a strip off the top of the front fiberglass bunk piece to make clearance for the clamp ring. So, I cut a kerf in order to detach and remove the top single thickness of fiberglass.

After removal of the strip..

With that cleared out of the way, the window clamp could seat properly..

nd inside. The slight gap at 9 o'clock has been fixed. I had to tighten those screws.

The latch mechanism on these windows is of very high quality. I am very impressed with Motion Windows (aka: Penninsula Glass)

Overall progress shot..

Old 02-03-2020, 10:20 PM   #127

New Jersey
I temporarily mounted the propane rings to see how they would fit and look..

Top view...

Close-up view of the support. If you missed it previously, the center pin goes straight through the tube and is fully welded. It supports the weight fo the rings. The propane bottles will sit on a rubber donut on the frame member.

Old 02-03-2020, 10:21 PM   #128

New Jersey
And, lastly, I did a dry fit of the interior overhead storage rack bars (aka: Airstream stow shelves). I cut a shim for the rear mount due to the curve of the shell. I will install RivNuts at the mounts and then hang a polypropylene tailgate net.

Here is the net..

Old 02-25-2020, 08:42 PM   #129

New Jersey
I received a few texts from my upholstery guy today. He sent me a shot of one of the setback cushions. I kinda like it! Here it is...

Old 02-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #130

New Jersey
Ken Patrick Anyone want to guess what is in this package?

Well.....here ya go...

The full view. And speaking of, I have to say, this product is very nicely made. All aluminum with a beautiful finish and it weighs only 14 pounds.

I will use these bad boys (in conjunction with another pair of stabilizing brackets) to attach it to the exo-skeleton.

In case some are not tuned in, it is the packed up version of this...

I unpacked and set up the ShadyBoy canopy in the house yesterday and the build quality is fantastic. Great product. I should have it mounted within the week if all goes well.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #131

New Jersey
y upholsterer/mattress guy just texted this photo to me. OMG! I am so excited to go to sleep. LMAO!

Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 PM   #132

New Jersey
I found this photo composite I made a little while back. It really shows some progress..

Old 02-25-2020, 08:49 PM   #133

New Jersey
So, I made some progress prepping my "Airstream Racks" today. I removed all of the excess straps and end closures and bought a thin aluminum bar and fed it through the side seam closure of the polypro nets. this adds rigidity at the wall side. So, at the curved bar, I will trim and wrap the polypro around the bar and rivet it. At the wall, I will screw through the polypro and aluminum bar into RivNuts that I will locate in the wall. Oh, and the bars get red paint. So, the order of th install is....1. Install RivNuts for the curved bar anchorages at each end. 2. Install bars. 3. Tape nets to bars. 4. Mark holes in walls and bars. 5. Drill wall and bars. 6. Paint bars. 7. Rivet nets to bars. 8. Screw nets too walls. Getting closer...

You can see a close up of the inserted aluminum bars...

Here is a little better understanding how they will work. They are oriented in the positions they will be installed. The top of the photo goes toward the rear of the camper with the curved corners following the shape of the shell...

Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 PM   #134

New Jersey
I ordered in more stainless hardware from McMaster and was able to connect the billet aluminum mounting clamps to the back of the ShadyBoy awning. I also added some polyurethane sealant at the holes between the clamps and aluminum awning housing. So, if it would stop raining and stay warm enough I can finally get this things installed!!

I added some vinyl protectors on the nuts.threads inside so the awning does not become abraded.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #135

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
I can't wait to see the finished trailer. It will be one of a kind and very cool looking!
Have you decided on a name yet?
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 AM   #136

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
I can't wait to see the finished trailer. It will be one of a kind and very cool looking!
Have you decided on a name yet?
Hey Vicki!
Since it’s being pulled by the Range Rover, I was thinking of “Mars Rover”. Or does NASA have the trademark on that?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:43 PM   #137

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
I don't know but if they do you could always name it Marz Rover to get around it.
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #138

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki Hale View Post
I don't know but if they do you could always name it Marz Rover to get around it.
I think I would risk naming it with the proper spelling though! LOL
Old 02-28-2020, 07:01 PM   #139

New Jersey
I had time today (ON THE WINDIEST DAY OF 2020!!!) to install the ShadyBoy awning. I love this thing!! I have a couple additional brackets on order to be installed, but most of the installation is done. I will show you the progression of photos from closed to open...

Old 02-28-2020, 07:05 PM   #140

New Jersey
I also checked that the door sill looks right and will work dimensionally..

And lastly, I installed the RivNuts and test mounted the shelf bars so I can cut and attach the PolyPropylene net...

From below..

And on the passenger side...

Working on the shelves on a flat surface is SOOOO much better...