About Donna's awesome curtain rod attachment - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2015, 04:20 PM   #15
Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner
North Carolina
A different strategy: in our Boler, I installed a flexible u-shaped track to the walls that held slides for curtains. Although in that case, I attached the track to screen molding attached to existing rivet holes, it might work to attach the track semi-permanently using Velcro to rat fur. Unfortunately, that was a while ago, and I can't find the link to the product.

In our Parkliner, we use blinds, all of which are attached to upper cabinets.
-- Anne

neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
I like the blinds idea too. I had them in my Kencraft, years ago. In some of the windows we put curtains over the blinds too. Really loved that trailer.

Ellpea in CA
1988 13.5' Lil Bigfoot
2002 Volvo V70 (turbocharged)
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #17
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Still mystified by the window clamp. Is that the metal part on the inside which is screwed into the window?

In the method Donna describes, the clamp is removed and the metal bar is riveted in from the back side of the clamp.

I also wonder about leaving the clamp in place, removing several of the screws, and screwing into the metal bar from the front of the clamp.

Any thoughts?

Yes, it is the metal part with all the screws. It's function is to "suck" the window against the outside of the body by "clamping" the window between the inside and outside of the hull.

If you look at the second picture in the link I post on the first page, you'll see a slick curtain rod that's suspended from the overhead cabinets. Robert Johan's does terrific work. If my rememberer is working right, he got the parts at IKEA.

If you come up with an idea you like, don't let Scamp put those blasted curtain rod holders in... 24 less rivets!

AND, no stinky slinky on the front either... like that's a thing of beauty... four less rivets there too!
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Hi Ellpea,
I'd like to see photos of the interior of your rig so I can visualize it and understand better how you might install curtain rods/tracks. If, as you say, you want a continuous rod/track the top of the window frames should be aligned horizontally and you'll need places to anchor the rod/track. Anchoring spots could be wood, metal, fiberglass, etc. I, too, am thinking how to do this in my rig, a 13' Scamp.

The top of my windows do not align perfectly, but they are close. I have a fiberglass closet on the left side, fiberglass cabinet above the window in the back and fiberglass side on the right side above the sink. Before I drill any holes I want to be sure the rod/track system would work and would be strong.

I agree with those who said Velcro will not hold well enough. Velcro works well in holding very light things.

In the close-up photo you can see that I was experimenting with a bottom rod (an old tent pole) attached with a cubicle clip. It did hold well but there is not enough room under the side windows to do this unless I re-sew ALL my curtains, ugh. I may use a curtain wire (or picture wire) instead on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 062.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 065.jpg  

Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 068.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 064.jpg  

The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote