AC install! Please help! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Name: wesley
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Georgia
AC install! Please help!

Good evening friends. I am in the process of restoring my Grandfather's 86 13' Scamp. Number 1 on the list is an AC install. I have bought and already installed the AC but i have a condensation problem. If you see the pictures below you will see where I have drilled a hole in the fender well. This hole lines up with an air hose fitting that i threaded into the lowest point of the AC. I thought the water would just drain out the bottom of this onto the wheel but after trying it it doesn't work. I cross drilled the threads so the water wouldn't have to "climb" up the threads and fall over into the fitting. The water is dripping down the front of the wheel well and running out next to the door. I even tested my method before installing and it worked fantastic. Can anyone here enlighten me on how to build a catch pan or something to not let the water run down onto the wood sub floor and get it out the camper?

Thanks for the help. I have looked thru the internet until i am sick of looking.
wmaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Chad
Trailer: 2000 17' Bigfoot CB
Nebraska
Is there room to install a metal paint tray that is used with a paint roller? Let that catch the condensation then add a drain tube in that. I read that somewhere on the forums.
chud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Does water come out of the AC where it's supposed to? You might have your hole on what you thought is the lowest part but installed is it? If not It'll find its own way.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #4

Name: wesley
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Georgia
I've got it out. So I will run it today out of the camper to see where it comes out and go from there
wmaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
It might not be as level in the camper as you think.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
https://youtu.be/YT0acWMObOE

Five years ago I tackled this issue and do use my wheel-well as a condensation trap and cold air sump, which drains water out the bottom of the wheel well.

I lined the entire wheel well with heavy weight plastic (large contractor's bag) and added a drain at the lowest point. It created both a surface to adhere the bag material to and structural contouring by using Great Stuff foam. It is very stick and hardens quickly.

First, I sprayed the Great Stuff on the wheel-well and the closet walls surrounding the wheel well.

Second,I filled in the bottom of the wheel-well with a slope leading to a vent I use for draining.

Third, I pressed the heavy gauge plastic down onto the tacky foam, molding it as I created a water tight basin. The Great Stuff not only acted as the adhering agent but also as a sealant and structure.

I had poured gallons of water into my wheel-well to test it before closing it in under the air conditioner. No leaks! This lets the air conditioner drain wherever it may. No matter where it drips, its going out the same place.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote