AC installation (hidden) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #15

Name: Ryan
Trailer: SCAMP
Kentucky
Of course some A/C units have a built in evaporator pan, and they claim that they don't need a drain. I'm sceptical about this though. I plan on putting a 5000 btu in my hanging closet and ducting thru the floor if possible. My brothers is ducted thru the side. I'm gonna do som investigating and see which way is gonna work for me. Id rather go thru the floor than the side. I'm thinking fewer chance of leaks buy going thru the floor.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #16

Kentucky
Eric I really like how you did yours. I may steal some of your ideas.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #17

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS30 View Post
Love the install, I plan on doing the ac install real soon. Is your blower 12 volt? And do you plan on installing a drain thru the floor? Here in KY. the humidity is a killer in the summers so I am pretty sure I will need to install a drain thru the floor. Last question what btu did you use? Thanks
Ryan, My blower is 12V. I think it is over designed. I used a 12V marine blower. I probably could have gotten by with a 3" or used something more similar to what Norm used. As for many of us, Norm was the inspiration for this modification. Given that it moves all the air in through one 4" hole and out through another, a little extra airflow is probably good. I used a Rule 4" blower. Picture below.

I did install a drain. The silver "pan" in the picture is meant to catch the water from the AC and then a hole in that pan drains it through the floor. We also have humidity and I ran the AC outside to give it plenty of humid air and test the draining system. The condensation was plentiful in that situation. The pan is just a lid of a 9x13 pan that was no longer used by my wife .

Given the size of the trailer I just went with a small 5000 BTU unit from Frigidaire. I have not used it in the worst heat of the year, but reports on this forum say it will be sufficient for me.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-20120929-00134.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2013, 06:57 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I monitor the temperature in the exhaust area and it gets pretty warm even though I have 2 12VDC fans exhausting hot air. It maybe that all things considered that there's enough evaporation to prevent the drain from seeing any moisture.

Also I have the Air Conditioner tipped towards the drain. As to the effectiveness of 5000 BTUs, it seems it almost instantly gives the feeling of relief.

We place a small fan on the floor and blow cool air towards the rear of the trailer. Our most frequent use of the AC is when cooking on a hot day.

I must also say we never see extreme heat. In general our RV goal is to avoid extreme weather though we've been in 90 degree weather, but never where the evenings are uncomfortably hot.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #19

Michigan
My AC sits flat, but I tipped the drip pan to the back. If you look carefully you can see the hole in the center back of the silver drip pan.

We went a year without any AC. It was fine in the desert out West. However, in the parts of the country that have 80-90 degree humid nights, the AC is nice.

Make sure you post pictures of what you do so we can all learn and steal from your experiences also. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 PM   #20

Kentucky
Thanks guys for all the tips! I hope to get the A/c this Sunday, and maybe start on it then also.. It always seems that something pops up that keeps me from starting, continuing,or finishing projects around here. Such is life when you have 2 teenagers under roof!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #21

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
I know it's been 3 years since the original post,but, I'm doing the same installation and was wondering how your's worked out. Also if you have made any changes or adjustments? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated,
Thank You, Gary
Old 06-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #22

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
I know it's been 3 years since the original post,but, I'm doing the same installation and was wondering how your's worked out. Also if you have made any changes or adjustments? Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated,
Thank You, Gary
Gary, I would do it again. We have used it in Florida, Maine, out West, and in the humid MidWest. It has worked well in heat and humidity. It may not be perfect, but it takes the humidity out and takes the edge off the heat which makes for much nicer sleeping conditions.

The only adjustments I have made were to improve my seal around front bunk which is necessary since the fan pushes air out and then I just let air suck in. Most of the air of course comes through the hole on the left as shown, but it can also suck air into the back of the AC from inside the trailer around the edges of the front bunk so I have that fairly well sealed now. Second, I added a fan on the floor to mix the air up in the trailer. Before that it was frigid on the floor and hot at the ceiling.

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 AM   #23

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Great Job!

People that have never visited the southeast > Ky, Tn, Al, Ga, Fl, Ms, La etc have NO idea how bad this humidity can get. I simply cannot sleep in humidity.

I have a roof mount A/C and love it. It takes up no internal space and I have a carport so the "garage" issue is of no importance. The point is, talking about water? Mine easily puddles water beneath my Scamp when it's running in this 90+ temp and humidity. It's definitely doing its job.

Again, for an add-on, that is a super job and I think you will be glad of the 'over-kill' on the fans.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #24

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
Eric, thanks for the info. Just waiting for my ac unit to arrive before I begin, Gary
Old 06-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #25

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I like what you did here. With your design can any water get in through these openings when on the road in rainy weather?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #26

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I like what you did here. With your design can any water get in through these openings when on the road in rainy weather?
I tried to design it so it was quite unlikely. See the pictures at the beginning of the thread. All the components on the outside of the trailer are plastic and made for water. The cover's opening is pointed backwards. The vent has a flap and I installed it at a slight upward angle so water that hits the flap naturally runs back out. The vent also has a screen on it to keep bugs out and a piece of dryer hose. So water would have to go in the opposite direction the vehicle is traveling, turn a right hand corner, get past the vent flap, past the insect screen, and travel a few more inches slightly uphill. Possible? Yes, but seems somewhat unlikely for any significant amount of water.

The more water proof solution is to put a cover on the air entrance and exit that you remove each time you want to use the AC. I didn't want to crawl under the trailer each time and thought my solution was good enough. YMMV.

I have traveled 1000's of miles with the trailer and through rain. However, I have not torn it apart in the last year to check for water, etc.... I did tear it apart after initial testing/outings to make sure it worked like I thought.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Norm or Eric, would you happen to have link to the/a 12V inline fan? I put a 10" 12V automotive radiator helper fan behind my Scamp's A/C exhaust but have been thinking about ducting some cool air from underneath the trailer to the "supply" side. I suppose a fan, even a lower speed one would be a good thing.

The 6K BTU unit I installed is doing an adequate (just adequate) job for now. I recently purchased an 8K BTU window unit to cool my bedroom when my central A/C went out at home. Once I get that fixed ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$) I may “upgrade” the Scamp by installing the 8K in it. Although the 8K is similar in physical size to the 6K it will be enough tighter in the closet to I think warrant “pressurization” of the supply side air flow system.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #28

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Norm or Eric, would you happen to have link to the/a 12V inline fan? I put a 10" 12V automotive radiator helper fan behind my Scamp's A/C exhaust but have been thinking about ducting some cool air from underneath the trailer to the "supply" side. I suppose a fan, even a lower speed one would be a good thing.
Norm and I used different fans. I used a marine blower. Search amazon for "Rule Blower" and look for the 4 inch inline fan. It moves a lot of air. It is also louder than I wanted so I lowered the power to it a little bit. But the air coming out of the AC is still quite warm so I am glad I am moving a lot of air. I would put more research into the fan if I was to do it again.

Here is a quote from Norm from an older thread (I have no idea if it is the latest information): "I mounted two 4 or 5" square computer muffin fans behind the air conditioner that blow the hot air thru the floor. I believe they're rated for 100cfm each. As well the airconditioner has an exhaust fan that pressurizes the added exhaust fans."