AC installation (hidden) - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 PM   #29

Name: Gary
Trailer: 89 13' Scamp
California
Eric, 2 things. Did you seal the box to the ac unit? And how do you keep the unit from moving around during travel? Thx, Gary

Old 06-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #30

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Eric, 2 things. Did you seal the box to the ac unit? And how do you keep the unit from moving around during travel? Thx, Gary
Gary, Yes I did seal the box to the back of the AC to capture all the hot air so the fan could blow the hot air out of the closet. I used HVAC tape or duct tape.

To hold it in place, take a look at the picture of the front of the AC on the first page of this thread. I have a screw at the top of the AC, but the real holding is done by the block of wood at the bottom of the AC.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:10 PM   #31

California
Eric, It's me again (Gary) Moving right along with my install. Reached an impasse. Can't decide whether to vent out the sides, like you did, or go through the floor. It seems to me no matter which I choose, it's going to be tough to hook up the vent hose to fan & vent. Man it's really tight. Also, did you put the box on the back of your ac first, or slide the ac into the box? And did you seal with tape the box to ac? Sorry to ask so many ?, but, I'm a lil frustrated. Thanks, Gary
Old 06-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #32

Michigan
Gary, that is a good question and it is tight. Obviously I went through the sides and I first installed the vents/bug screen/covers on the left and right. I attached the hose to the fan, the fan to the box, and the box to the back of the AC. I then slid the whole AC/box/fan in but off to the left side of the closet rather than the right where it would end up. I then (with a few choice words and more than one attempt) slid the hose attached to the fan over the vent on the right. I used a zip tie to attach it. Obviously you want the hose to be long enough but not too long. Then I slid the AC/box/fan to the right to its final location. I did have boards on the floor in strategic spots for the AC to slide on and not ruin my drip pan.

I hope that is helpful. Let me know if you have questions. If you improve on my ideas, post it for all of us to learn from. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2015, 01:25 PM   #33

California
Eric, 2 more? How did you mount the fan? And why the walls around the fan? I'm getting there next the ducting holes. Did you drill from inside or outside the Scamp? Sorry thet was 3 ? Thanks, Gary
Old 06-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #34

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
12 VDC Marine in-line blowers are also sold as "Bilge Blowers" and are use to ventilate enclosed areas.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:16 PM   #35

Michigan
Quote:
Eric, 2 more? How did you mount the fan? And why the walls around the fan? I'm getting there next the ducting holes. Did you drill from inside or outside the Scamp? Sorry thet was 3 ? Thanks, Gary
Gary, I didn't want the fan to draw any air except the hot air through the back of the AC. Therefore I sealed the "box" to the back of the AC, attached the fan to the box, and the dryer hose to the fan and the vent. The location of the fan was just determined by keeping a very short run (as well as mostly a straight and slightly downhill run) of the hose to the vent for simplicity.

The fan attaches to the box in 2 ways. It sits on the bottom of the box actually slightly raised up. There are mounting holes on the fan that I just used to attach it to the bottom of the box. It also obviously sticks into the box to suck air out. It is a friction fit and sealed around the edge so that is a second attachment/holding point to the box.

I drilled both 4" holes from the outside. Very unfortunately I had to drill them at a angle rather than square with the surface. If you do the same thing, think very carefully where you want them, go very slow and have a very high quality hole saw.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask questions and good luck!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:07 PM   #36

California
Eric, got my holes drilled! Actually did it from inside. Wasn't bad at all. Used a Milwaukee bi-metal hole saw. Unfortunately, the vents I bought are too long. Which brings me to my next ? What year is your Scamp? As I look at the pictures it seems like you have alot more room in that cubby than I do. Or maybe it's your ac. What brand and model#? Ordered new vents, so Im on hold for the time being. Thanks for all your help, Gary
Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #37

Michigan
Gary, Congratulations! I'm glad the holes went well. I have a 2009 Scamp 13 and I used a Frigidaire 5000 BTU AC. I agree there is not much room. I had to measure carefully.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #38

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
At 76F we have a sweat poor; due to humidity, Lake Huron one side and Georgian Bay other side.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #39

California
Eric, does your ac sit on top of the two black boards in the pic's? I tried a 13 x 9 pan for a drain and it seems too short side to side. My ac is also a fridgidaire 5000 btu. Measures 16" side to side. Help. Thank you, Gary
Old 07-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #40

Michigan
Quote:
Eric, does your ac sit on top of the two black boards in the pic's? I tried a 13 x 9 pan for a drain and it seems too short side to side. My ac is also a fridgidaire 5000 btu. Measures 16" side to side. Help. Thank you, Gary
Gary, you are correct that it sits on the two black boards and the 13x9 pan is too short. You have to know exactly where the water comes out of the AC for this to work. I tested this on a hot humid day in my driveway and water pools in the bottom of the AC and the AC fan blades dip down through the pool of water and spray it everywhere. Therefore I drilled a couple of strategic holes in the bottom of the AC so that I knew where the water comes out and that it will go into the 13x9 pan.

I also tilted the trailer front/back/left/right to find the limits of where it did not drain correctly. The short version is that as long as I am within a 2x4 under a wheel within level left/right and level or a touch pointed down at the front, everything works great.

I hope that helps. Keep up the good questions!

Eric
Old 07-14-2015, 09:05 PM   #41

California
Eric, Got the ac in and running! Yeah, finally. It seems to be doing ok. Running a 2 hr. Test now. Still have a couple of questions though. Does the top of your bench get warm where the compressor is? Mine does. I would imagine that's normal. Also I used a 3" marine bilge blower in mine. Also used a pwm 12v motor controller which allows me to go from off to full on. The blowers sure are noisy on Full on. Trying to find the lowest position and still have the ac exhaust be efficient. Will get back to you with results. Thanks for all your help, couldn't and wouldn't have done it without your valuable assistance!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:24 AM   #42

Michigan
Quote:
Eric, Got the ac in and running! Yeah, finally. It seems to be doing ok. Running a 2 hr. Test now. Still have a couple of questions though. Does the top of your bench get warm where the compressor is? Mine does. I would imagine that's normal. Also I used a 3" marine bilge blower in mine. Also used a pwm 12v motor controller which allows me to go from off to full on. The blowers sure are noisy on Full on. Trying to find the lowest position and still have the ac exhaust be efficient. Will get back to you with results. Thanks for all your help, couldn't and wouldn't have done it without your valuable assistance!
Congratulations!

I have never checked if it gets warm on the top of the bench. I would think some warmth is not untypical since you have a heater below it. I usually have the cushions there. I know I have it so that outside cool air comes in the top of the AC and out the back, but there is not a lot of room on top.

A reminder that you probably already took care of. If your cabinet is not well sealed, you are sucking cold air from inside the scamp through the AC and out of the trailer (rather than using outside air to cool the AC) so your AC would be working harder. I had to add all kinds of weather stripping to make sure it was reasonably sealed.

I slowed my 4" marine blower down also for noise, but I just used heavy duty power resistors and not a motor controller. Nice improvement.

I can't wait to hear the rest of your results. Good work!

Eric