Add solar? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
Night Sailor a question for you. My portable 150 watt suitcase should be in next week. I willl have it hooked up to a group size 31 AGM Deka battery. My question is is their a device that I can purchase that shows the incoming amps ond the outgoing that is be used from the battery? Also any recomendations for a pure sine wave invertor to power small electronics using about 50 watts? My Engel fridge draws around 40 watts on 12v, charge controller is 10 amp MPPT... Thanks for the reply....
Check out the TriMetric 2030 battery monitor.

While a 50 Watt inverter IS larger than the specified draw of your 40 Watt refrigerator, it probably draws more than that when starting. It is also difficult to find a under 100 Watt sine wave inverter. You might look at a 100 - 150 Watt inverter. One that has a good reputation is from GoPower, but there are others.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #42

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Mike,
Sony used to make 12VDC TV's. I had one many years ago. It was pricy, but good.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #43

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
I dont watch a lot but it is nice to have to watch the news. I wasn't aware
of so many 12v TV's on the market. I will look at that but I did a quick google
and didn't see any name brands like Samsung or Sony. I will keep looking.
I was somewhat surprised but pleased to discover that the cheapie ($130) Seiki flat panel TV I bought from Sears last year is just a 12v TV running through a converter off 120v. I am not guessing or speculating, I ran it off 12v in the Scamp and it worked fine.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 PM   #44
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
I dont watch a lot but it is nice to have to watch the news. I wasn't aware
of so many 12v TV's on the market. I will look at that but I did a quick google
and didn't see any name brands like Samsung or Sony. I will keep looking.
I'm going for this one as the long-haul truckers like it, has a built-in DVD player, and a very wide viewing angle:

22" RCA 12 Volt LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR - RoadTrucker.com

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I was somewhat surprised but pleased to discover that the cheapie ($130) Seiki flat panel TV I bought from Sears last year is just a 12v TV running through a converter off 120v. I am not guessing or speculating, I ran it off 12v in the Scamp and it worked fine.
I checked at Sears and was happy to see that the Seiki was on Sale for $109 and yes the back side has a 12v connection.

Timber Wolf did you cut the 120v converter and wire it to 12v or did you p/u a 12v cord for it?
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #46

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
I checked at Sears and was happy to see that the Seiki was on Sale for $109 and yes the back side has a 12v connection.

Timber Wolf did you cut the 120v converter and wire it to 12v or did you p/u a 12v cord for it?
I had previously purchased a 12V power plug set to run a fan and one of the adaptors that came with it fit the Seiki. I got this one from Amazon: Amazon.com: RoadPro (RPDC-812) 12V Power Adapter with Universal 6-Way Plug: Automotive
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 AM   #47

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Engel SB70f interesting....I might contemplate something like this for my next fridge purchase down the road. I have a 100 watt solar panel, I would seriously consider adding a portable panel to be able to keep up on it. My Norcold is a 2012, so its a few years down the road but they might have even more efficient units by then.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #48

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Seiki came with 120V and 12V cords. It's a 15" and cost $79.
Had it a couple years, but haven't watched it.

"Timber Wolf did you cut the 120v converter and wire it to 12v or did you p/u a 12v cord for it?"

Not sure what you are contemplating. The 120V cord has a built in converter to 12V. If you cut that off, you'd be plugged into AC and running 120V into the TV. That would hurt.
Just get the 12V cord if it isn't included.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #49

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Just found on Craigs List a 19" Proscan like new with a 12v and a 120v cord at a yard sale price. Pluged it into 12v and it works great. Thanks for the info Timber Wolf and others. I checked it with the Belkin watt meter it is using 22-23 watts, very happy camper!
Attached Thumbnails
19 inch Proscan.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #50

Name: Sue
Trailer: Casita Patriot '13
Pennsylvania
My $270 100 Watt returnable Solar package: DIY:

My Working 100W Solar Panel System: Made It Myself For $270 - General After-Market Accessories Forum - The Casita Club Forums

I suggest you don't adhere the panel (s) to your camper because it's better to be able to move the panels into direct sunlight, and leave the camper set up.

I find I'll move my panels 3-4 times a day if there's a tree near me, in order to capture the most sunlight.

Get long (30 ft) cables from the controller out to the panel (s) so you can chase the sun, around trees and your camper.

My Patriot uses some electricity for the water pump and the propane alarm. With LED's, I have plenty of light inside for a few hours in the evening, and I never go below 12.5 volts. That's good. Even on intermittent sun days, it stays above 12.5 until morning when I can start charging, again.

Best of all, it requires no babysitting. I can leave it all day and it's charging without me. No fuel to carry, no moving parts, nothing to fix or rust. I drive with it on my bed, and have a thick chain on it when charging so no one can walk away with it without some rather large bolt snippers.

As the long post states, there's one technical issue, but it's easily dealt with.
jazzjunkysue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar