Added Honda Gen to tongue of Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #21

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
excellent mod.. very nice site you have there with all the photos and details.. good job..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft / 4 cyl Tacoma
Al and Cindy,
I love your tongue platform and it proves my point! YOu have a lot more weight there than I do and I'm sure that putting a flat platform on the tongue does little if anything for the rigidity (according to the way Casita says you need to brace it the whole distance with crossmembers from front to rear). No, I have never camped at Dog Canyon, but I've been there lots of times. I haven't tried the mattress yet as it's too cold to camp here right now without worrying about a freezing night, especially in the mountains. We won't use our new camper until this spring or summer probably. I need to at least give it a shake-down cruise before our big trip next Aug or Sept to WI. We are both back to working full-time (bad economy) so our jobs won't permit much camping until vacation time. We love camping all over the state, but with only 2-day weekends, we can't get too far from home. My favorite area is over by Deming and up by T or C.

Phil,
thank you for the compliment on my website.
lonlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:32 PM   #23

Name: Phil
Trailer: 17ft 98 Casita FD
Texas
your welcome, I'm going to use your site to do the plumping mods on my parents Casita LD
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 1970 Boler
lonlawrence, not uncommon for others to slam idea here (hence why I stopped posting mine). Don't sweat it.

Looks great, those Honda's make em nice and small and quiet these days. a little extra weight s nothing, there is more stress with the thing turning and flexing as the things go down the road anyway.

Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Trillium
Send a message via AIM to georgia g
Quote:
At one of the recent gatherings, someone used an upside down Rubbermaid style bin to hide the generator. I thought it was very clever. Padlocks on both sides of the handles as a theft deterent. You would never know an expensive generator was underneath. The generator was further locked down with security cables, and more padlocks. I have pictures at home if you are interested. The upside down bin is removed while in use.
We have a 73 Trillium that is going to require painting. I just noted your yellow egg and wondered if there was a way you could send some pictures to me. Is it a pale yellow or a canary yellow? A nice cheery color. As long as it needs painting why do a boring color. LOL. georgiag1[at]aol.com
georgia g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I mounted my generator on the tongue on our Casita, building a box to contain it. (I also tested the Rubbermaid alternative and it works!) I left the second propane tank as I think the extra load is not significant, but removing one of the tanks would nicely offset the gen weight.
Attached Thumbnails
Generator_Cover_2.jpg   Generator_Cover_1.jpg  

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #27

Quote:
I mounted my generator on the tongue on our Casita, building a box to contain it. (I also tested the Rubbermaid alternative and it works!) I left the second propane tank as I think the extra load is not significant, but removing one of the tanks would nicely offset the gen weight.
Patrick.
I like the looks of your white box better than the upside-down rubbermaid (IMHO). What did you make it out of? Did you put aluminum angle along the top edge to fasten a top on it?
Lon
Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #28

Quote:
lonlawrence, not uncommon for others to slam idea here (hence why I stopped posting mine). Don't sweat it.

Looks great, those Honda's make em nice and small and quiet these days. a little extra weight s nothing, there is more stress with the thing turning and flexing as the things go down the road anyway.

Kurt and Phil,
I loved your website pictures. You both have some good tales to tell.
Lon

Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #29

I used fiberglass shower sheets, aluminum angle, a wood base, piano hinge, rivets and bolts to make it. The front slides out for running the gen in-place. It took me a lot longer to make than I thought it would, but the box has been very useful in carrying misc stuff when the generator in not on-board.
Attached Thumbnails
Gen_Fuel.jpg   Generator_Box_2.JPG  

Generator_Box_4.JPG  
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #30

Thanks for posting, Patrick. I like your idea and might even change my "lockdown" to what you have next summer.
Lon
Old 01-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #31

Here's the blow-by-blow write-up of my box/generator mod: http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php...amp;#entry89080
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
cudo's to the casitaclub webmaster for setting it up to allow visitors to see pictures without having to register. that is a rare thing these days.

Hats of to them.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita