Adding a bath to a 13' Burro or? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Back on subject.
I vote for the solar shower. We've used one for years. In the back country where nobody's around hanging from a tree branch gives a nice warm shower. Where there's people a swim suit preserves modesty. However one has to be careful of rules and regulations. Some places don't allow for soapy water on the ground.
We've also found that a nice dip in a lake when possible washes the dust off and refreshes.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #16

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Another option I use is this Read the reviews and I'll add mine. They large enough to do the job, they don't dry out before completing a complete wash. They remove odor causing bacteria. You feel pretty clean after use.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I don't bother with a campfire. For one thing a campfire draws your undivided attention to the dancing flames and bright coals. It ruins your night vision and prevents you from seeing the creatures of the night.....instead watched the show and left with the memories of antics of those kangaroo mice.
We have had so many fun and interesting conversations around a campfire, we tend to keep it small just a bed of coals and a piece of wood or two. Sometimes that undivided attention is nice, "watching the fairies dance on the coals".

For stargazing we do have to move out and let our eyes adjust.

Dog owner, schnauzer always sees mice first, we see it when it's in her mouth. We would have had a totally different experience with the kangaroo mice, yours sounds like a nicer memory.

Up in the national forest one night sitting by our small bed of coals in the middle of the woods the dogs head came up, ears tipped forward and his head slowly followed something moving past the clearing we were in. Wife had that fire full of kindling pretty quick, me I just blew on it to get it going. To avoid the smoke ya know.

That national forest camping is one reason it would be nice to have a bath, but also why we don't need one. Who is going to see?
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Quote:
Since you rarely sit outside, what's the attraction to going camping? Why spend the gas and camping fees if you're going to stay inside?

Wondering minds would like to know.

We also very, very rarely sit outside. But then "camping" has NO attraction for us anyway. The trailer is a hotel room. Period. It is used ONLY if where we are going has no hotels nearby.

When you figure in the added cost of fuel for towing plus the costs of campgrounds, plus the fact that campgrounds are usually not located in any convenient spot, it is usually much less costly to travel sans trailer and use hotels - which are generally much more comfortable in any case.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #19

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
We also very, very rarely sit outside. But then "camping" has NO attraction for us anyway. The trailer is a hotel room. Period. It is used ONLY if where we are going has no hotels nearby.

When you figure in the added cost of fuel for towing plus the costs of campgrounds, plus the fact that campgrounds are usually not located in any convenient spot, it is usually much less costly to travel sans trailer and use hotels - which are generally much more comfortable in any case.
I see, city folk.
Thanks for answering.
As for me I don't ever want to stay in a Motel or Hotel again. But, we're closer to mountain folk than city folk.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #20

British Columbia
Actually - we moved out of the city 11 years ago last month.

Lived and worked in many many places - and NONE of them were "city" until 25 years ago. Only lied "in the city" for a few years.

Lived in Northwest Territories. Have canoed and tented all over.

Worked in jobs that required me to be dropped off by floatplane and travel by canoe until plane picks me up "over there" in 3 weeks.

Spent 2 summers doing post-grad research work traveling by small boat and by canoe, tenting.

AND the very best thing of all is THAT I NEVER have to do that again! I can now pretend to be civilized!

My wife grew up in a family that camped for vacations. Part of her agreeing to marry me was that I had to promise that we would not ever go camping! As she said - if we can't afford to go in comfort, lets not go!

We have been married for 34 years (Coming up on 35!).

Our Bigfoot 21 is the most comfortable trailer we've owned. We went to the spring NOG just to see if we'd like doing something like that.

Nearest decent restaurant was a good half hour or more away.

Nothing whatever to do at the park (world's most BORING place to spend a weekend!!!!!)

At least there was the Tillamook air museum , and the incredibly spectacular Evergreen Air Museum (featuring the Spruce Goose) in McMinnville. Portland wasn't too far away either. We'd go to see the museums, but not specifically just "to go camping". Hotels are usually a lot handier than campgrounds for going to attractions (although there is VERY nice campground that is literally right next door to the Evergreen museum)

On our way home from the NOG, we stayed in a campground in a suburb of Portland. $46.00 per night. Considering the extra fuel etc to bring the trailer, it likely would have cost less to take the wife's car instead and use hotel rooms.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #21

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Actually - we moved out of the city 11 years ago last month.

Lived and worked in many many places - and NONE of them were "city" until 25 years ago. Only lied "in the city" for a few years.

Lived in Northwest Territories. Have canoed and tented all over.

Worked in jobs that required me to be dropped off by floatplane and travel by canoe until plane picks me up "over there" in 3 weeks.

Spent 2 summers doing post-grad research work traveling by small boat and by canoe, tenting.

AND the very best thing of all is THAT I NEVER have to do that again! I can now pretend to be civilized!

My wife grew up in a family that camped for vacations. Part of her agreeing to marry me was that I had to promise that we would not ever go camping! As she said - if we can't afford to go in comfort, lets not go!

We have been married for 34 years (Coming up on 35!).

Our Bigfoot 21 is the most comfortable trailer we've owned. We went to the spring NOG just to see if we'd like doing something like that.

Nearest decent restaurant was a good half hour or more away.

Nothing whatever to do at the park (world's most BORING place to spend a weekend!!!!!)

At least there was the Tillamook air museum , and the incredibly spectacular Evergreen Air Museum (featuring the Spruce Goose) in McMinnville. Portland wasn't too far away either. We'd go to see the museums, but not specifically just "to go camping". Hotels are usually a lot handier than campgrounds for going to attractions (although there is VERY nice campground that is literally right next door to the Evergreen museum)

On our way home from the NOG, we stayed in a campground in a suburb of Portland. $46.00 per night. Considering the extra fuel etc to bring the trailer, it likely would have cost less to take the wife's car instead and use hotel rooms.
I'm sorry you feel that way. We're just the opposite. Married 30+ years. Every chance we could the backpacks went into the car and off into the wilderness we went. Boring? Not a bit. I've had conversations with a spotted owl, watched deer wander through camp. Photographed thousands of wild flowers. Fell asleep watching the stars overhead, and woke up with little critters running across my sleeping bag. Watched dragon flys skim across a lake. Watched a crazy loon teasing the ducks. How nature and the life around be boring? I guess only if you expect to be entertained by man made stuff.

At $46 per night, I wouldn't call that a campground, more like an RV resort, which I avoid like the plague.

All the places you talked about visiting I've been to, when stuck in town for some reason or another. Town stuff is only to be taken in when I get out into the wilderness.

I've discovered that most of the time people that don't like the wilderness have a great fear of it. Or those that find it boring are type A and don't know how to relax and don't know how to observe and appreciate what nature has to offer. I do feel sorry those like that, and the problems they'll have when the infrastructure fails. It will fail, as it did in New Orleans during Katrina, as has now in parts of the North East. It will where we live at some point too. How will you manage without electricity? Internet?, Telephone? Grocery Stores? or Restaurants?

History has shown when the infrastructure fails human become animals, looting, destruction, etc. How will you manage?
Old 07-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #22

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Byron and BCDave,

This thread just goes to show that this hobby we have has as many reasons to exist as it has participants. The main reason for my Burro's existence (at least in my possession) is to be a movable hotel room or big dry pup tent, take your choice, when I go to various competitive shooting events. We tend to have community activities going on in large groups and small, and I just return to the inside of the camper to sleep or change clothes. My cooking is generally quick, but I like to keep the heat outside so I use a CampChef™ oven and stove on a table and haven't even hooked up my stove inside... but eventually I will, I guess. I hope I didn't come off too strident in my previous post, because my camping and the Burro I use to do it, are my way of being laid back and without having to make or defend serious thoughts and efforts. And now back to my coffee...

Froggie

PS If you see me walking, my car is probably broken down; if you see me running, look for somebody chasing me!
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #23

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I guess you can only assist in fixing so many leaky windows and arguing about safe towing before you have to move on to arguing about whose camping standards are highest.

I love that thread ignore feature.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way. We're just the opposite. Married 30+ years. Every chance we could the backpacks went into the car and off into the wilderness we went. Boring? Not a bit. I've had conversations with a spotted owl, watched deer wander through camp. Photographed thousands of wild flowers. Fell asleep watching the stars overhead, and woke up with little critters running across my sleeping bag. Watched dragon flys skim across a lake. Watched a crazy loon teasing the ducks. How nature and the life around be boring? I guess only if you expect to be entertained by man made stuff.

At $46 per night, I wouldn't call that a campground, more like an RV resort, which I avoid like the plague.

All the places you talked about visiting I've been to, when stuck in town for some reason or another. Town stuff is only to be taken in when I get out into the wilderness.

I've discovered that most of the time people that don't like the wilderness have a great fear of it. Or those that find it boring are type A and don't know how to relax and don't know how to observe and appreciate what nature has to offer. I do feel sorry those like that, and the problems they'll have when the infrastructure fails. It will fail, as it did in New Orleans during Katrina, as has now in parts of the North East. It will where we live at some point too. How will you manage without electricity? Internet?, Telephone? Grocery Stores? or Restaurants?

History has shown when the infrastructure fails human become animals, looting, destruction, etc. How will you manage?
Not much of a resort. Just a bunch of parking spots - no added attractions whatever (not even wifi!) but location was great!

If I feared the countryside I wouldn't have moved BACK to the countryside. I have 150 foot Douglas firs on my property, I have a view of the mountains, I am about a half-hour from the ocean beaches

And yes - I am a classic Type A. I HATE vacations of any kind - the best vacation is the one I don't have to take! In the 34 years we have been marrried, I have been coerced into taking 5 vacations.

Prior to retirement, my employer allowed us to "cash out" unused vacation time - which I did annually.

I've been retired for a year and I am now considering going back to work, so I can stop wasting my life
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #25

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Not much of a resort. Just a bunch of parking spots - no added attractions whatever (not even wifi!) but location was great!

If I feared the countryside I wouldn't have moved BACK to the countryside. I have 150 foot Douglas firs on my property, I have a view of the mountains, I am about a half-hour from the ocean beaches

And yes - I am a classic Type A. I HATE vacations of any kind - the best vacation is the one I don't have to take! In the 34 years we have been marrried, I have been coerced into taking 5 vacations.

Prior to retirement, my employer allowed us to "cash out" unused vacation time - which I did annually.

I've been retired for a year and I am now considering going back to work, so I can stop wasting my life
Thanks for confirming my evaluation.
I hope you enjoy your life however you choose to live it.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #26

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I guess you can only assist in fixing so many leaky windows and arguing about safe towing before you have to move on to arguing about whose camping standards are highest.

Tom,
Sometimes discussions like this are a matter of gaining understanding. As a result of BCDave's and my discussion I have much better understanding of BCDave. Anybody that has followed and read this hijacked thread should have a better understanding of both of us.
There is no right or wrong way to "camp" or live your life only different ways. As a renaissance person I sometimes feel sorry for people that live with tunnel vision. I can point out that there's a broader world out there, but that's about it. I hold no quarrel with BCDave as I hope he has no quarrel with. We're different people with different world views, that's all.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #27

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post

Really? That is just rude!

For god sake people, just because you think the way you do stuff is the only way to go, doesn't make it right for everyone! Everybody has the right to use their trailer the way they choose too!

First and formost, the op stated in the opening post that basically looking for a bathroom. And questioned how easy it was to add a bath! So commenting on "how easy, hard it would be would have been helpful" But oh nooooooooo, people who don't have restrooms nor ever have in their rv choose to start, it's icky, it's gross, etc etc etc! Then when someone doesn't agree with your reason for purchasing a trailer you make statemenst like that? Really, grow up!

Frankly, I could and do have a lot of opinions about many of the things you all come up with, but most of the time I keep it to myself! Can't you do the same? The times I let loose with my thoughts are when you step way over the line! WAY over!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #28

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Oh by the way, towing properly is worth the arguement!

Tags
burro