Adding a battery on a Ventura. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #1

Name: Sal
Trailer: BOLER
AB
Adding a battery on a Ventura.

I'm thinking of adding a battery on my Ventura trailer. It originally comes without one and I am trying to figure out how I would tie it into the trailers electrical system.

I'm going to upgrade all of the interior fixture to LED and would light to have the ability to have the lights work without having to plug into a shoreline.

Do I need to buy an inverter as the interior lights run off the shoreline?

Also any recommendation on the size of the battery that I would need?
Sal H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If all you are running is LED lights, a standard group 24 RV/Marine battery should last forever.

An inverter converts 12 VDC to 120 VAC. If your interior lights are currently 120 VAC, I suggest that you just change them all out to 12 VDC LED's and not fool with having to add an inverter as it will just put additional load on your battery.

That said, you usually can't add a new battery to an existing Old battery, it's recommended that you start out with two new new batteries to obtain proper charging on both.

But again, if it's just lights, one battery and LED's should do the trick.

The next question is about how the battery is currently being charged, but that's another topic all together.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:14 PM   #3

Name: Sal
Trailer: BOLER
AB
Thanks!
Sal H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I'm surprised that all the interior lights are 110v...are you sure about that? Nearly all trailers that vintage came stock with 12v lighting, this true whether they had batteries or not. The lights could be powered by the tow vehicle if not equipped with a trailer battery; and trailers usually were supplied with a converter, which changed shorepower to 12v when plugged in.

Your trailer doesn't have one of these?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, ventura