Adding a Furnace - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Using several 78xx in parallel would not be my first choice. Yes, each unit is rated at up to one amp of current and three of them could theoretically handle the load, but in practice there are slight variations in the 78xx output voltages, and since electricity prefers to follow the path of least resistance that means a circuit like the one you suggested would shunt more current through the more permissive regulator and overheat it.

My thinking was to use three switching transistors with matching resistors to shunt power around one or two big (10w) ceramic resistors, passing all current through both resistors at 12.6 volts and above, around one low-value resistor at 11.5 to 12.6 volts, around one high-value resistor at 11.0-11.5 volts. Below 11.0 volts the third transistor would pass pass power directly to the fan.

By doing the voltage reduction in a pair of robust, high-watt ceramic resistors I'd be passing the current handling and regulation tasks to components designed to handle a high-current connection as well as high-resistance heat loss. This part of the approach is very similar to what I've done to our Fantastic Fan, which has a 10-Ohm, 10-watt resistor circuit added to it to create a very slow & quiet fan speed setting.

As for a timer that would allow the fan to come up to speed, a fourth transistor/capacitor pair could shunt power directly to the fan until the capacitor reached full charge and its voltage rose to match that of the battery.
Well that is why I usually toss my ideas out to the smart people to build them. I have built power supplies for small electronic and computer applications. Usually not over 1 amp. I used timer circuits like that to delay start remote radio equipment so if I had a dirty shut down stuff would come up in order. I think the highest power draw was 700mH on some of the Cisco units. Now that you mention it you are completely right about the amperage shunting. That could explain some of the issues I have had with some of my power supplies. I am always thinking about digital control, in this application it is just a fan. A simple capacitor would work fine. If you ever get around to making it I wouldn't mind seeing a diagram. I think this would be a great modification to these noisy furnaces.

Thank you again!
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
I see you have a furnace. That should work fine. 12K BTU is probably required because windows have to be left open to combat the moisture from breathing.

You started out talking about catalytic heaters. Here is a good discussion of them:

http://www.rverscorner.com/catalytic.html

They do put a lot of moisture into the air.
I removed my catalytic heater for several reasons.

Condensation

Very uneven heating

Danger of open burner with Kids around

The fumes. Even though the Buddy heater I have has safety features. We can still smell it.

Took forever to heat up the trailer.

Catalytic's work well, just not well for me.

David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace