Adding a Pop up top to a 13' scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM   #15
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Check out VW Westie rags and websites.

Wonder what parts is listed in JC Whitney for Westies hmmmm?

Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
While it might be a little cost prohibitive cannibalizing a split westy for its' pop up section, you might want to consider a Vanagon Country Homes model f/g pop section to retrofit. They're a lot easier to find in the scrapyards, and as long as the fiberglass and pop up mechanism are solid, the canvas and screen should be the easy part if they need repair/replacement. All things considered, it should be a relatively straightforward project.
That one has basically the same poptop as the Campster, just bigger. I don't think it would be terribly hard to duplicate a Campster poptop. The hardest part is making the two pieces fit water tight when closed, I think.

Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #17
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I am in the process of converting a Ford e350 into a camper and I added a poptop. I experimented with different designs and always found myself going back to the hinged pop for simplicity and stability for making it yourself in your garage.

I cut the fiberglass roof of the van and added a raised wood trim around the hole for mounting purposes and keeping water out. Then I ordered some high tech cloth like sunbrella that breaths but is water proof. I build the roof portion and hinged it from a piano hinge on the end. the top stays up with a piece of ply that folds up when the top is popped and keeps it upright. Hardest part was sewing the fabric and fitting it to the opening, but it turned out on the first shot. Must have been beginners luck. Everything is epoxied and I haven't had any leaks since I did it a year ago. The only advantage I had was steel supports welded across the roof for safety. Those gave me a fixed structure to mount to.

I recently purchased a 13' scamp so unfortunately my progress on this project has slowed, but it should be a pretty sweet "Poor Man's" Sportsmobile if I ever get it done. The bonus of going low tech as well is that you can repair it with anything at a hardware store vs machined parts from a company. You could always think about something like this. The scariest part is cutting the roof. I stared at it for days before I grew a pair and had at it. Seems like a bad idea at first, but I'm really glad it's there now.

Attached Thumbnails

Aaron Saude is offline   Reply With Quote