Adding a Screen door? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 PM   #1

Name: Robin
Trailer: Surf Side TM14 1974
Alberta
Registry
Question Adding a Screen door?

Hello,

We are currently doing renos to our 1974 Surfside and I keep seeing cute pictures of fiberglass rv's with wooden screen doors hung from the inside. I would love to do this but before the attempt I thought maybe I could get suggestions if anyone else has done this! I would love to know about their trials and tribulations before I begin my own. lol

What can you tell me?

Robin
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 11:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I have a Scamp with a factory installed bi-fold screen door. It's worked great for past 11 years. The great thing about the bi-fold is that when open it's pretty flat against the closet which right beside the door.
I suggest you call Scamp and discuss your trailer and the possibility of installing the same door.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have the factory bi-fold in my Scamp and like it. If I did not have it I would build a simple wooden screen door that was removable for those trips it was not needed. That said, I wonder how one of those "Magic" magnetic screens might work out if cut down to fit?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 01:22 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The basic procedure is to build out a lightweight wooden frame on the inside of the trailer that boxes in the curved door opening and makes a flat place to mount a screen door. Scamp uses nominal 1" stock for the frame. One side is cut to match the contour of the shell around the door. The top is just a flat piece.

Once you've accomplished that, you can use a small version of a traditional wood or aluminum screen door that swings inward or a bifold design like Scamp used for many years. The bifold design is not particularly decorative, but, as mentioned, has the advantage of folding flat out of the way against the closet when not in use.

Scamp does not make or sell the old bi-fold type since they recently switched to an outsourced sliding type. Even if they did, the contours of the frame would not fit your Surfside.

Norm (Honda03842) built a version of Scamp's design from scratch, including the frame and an aluminum bi-fold door. You can find it somewhere in this very long thread:
Preparing a 1991 Scamp
The frame part will be similar even if you decide to go with a decorative wood door, which can range from simple…
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen door 1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	98851
…to elaborate…

Name:   Screen door 2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  21.1 KB
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 PM   #5

Name: Robin
Trailer: Surf Side TM14 1974
Alberta
Registry
Smile You guys are amazing!

Hey there

I really think that I can post anything in these forums and get an answer! Thank you very much for your help. Your answers were just what I needed as usual
Looks like I will be doing some reading on a very long thread haha

Robin
Robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We got the magnetic/mesh fabric/Velcro type from e-bay, shipped from a US location, in WHITE. (Also two black ones, which seemed way too dark by the time we were ready to consider installing one). I cut it down, turned the magnets to the outside, seamed the middle, added a top rod tight to the area above the door, and Paul put metal washers where the magnets would touch in the doorframe.

It can be rolled up by hand entirely out of the way; the magnets catch on the washers just fine. We added some small weights in the bottom hem (which I had also added) so it hangs to the floor and stays there.

It arrived in a few days, cost something like $7.98 with free shipping, and it's installed. It works mostly as advertised; you walk through and it gently swings back and the magnets catch on the washers. OK, granted, NOW I think it would have worked just fine leaving the magnets in the center; I just didn't think the velcro would hold it to the door frame. BUT I played around with the Velcro later and by golly, it is STICKY. So it might well have worked that way.

So far we've had no interior mosquitos or flies when we've used it. It takes a "little" adjusting as you go in and out to see that it's in the right place, but not bad.

At this point, we're satisfied with it, and will only do something more permanent if and when it seems important.

It's also very lightweight.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Scamp now uses https://www.plissescreen.com/

I'm not sure if the height is user adjustable but the width is.
I don't know anything about your camper but if you can build a square frame this is one possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Door Closed.jpg   Screen Door-Half Open.jpg  

Screen Door - Inside open.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote