Adding a shower enclosure? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
Adding a shower enclosure?

Hello All,

One thing I wish I could change about my family's 86 17ft Bigfoot Trailer is the lack of a shower. I just found this Craigslist post for a shower enclosure that was removed from a Bigfoot:

RV Parts & Accessories

Does anyone know if this enclosure could be added to the bathroom in our trailer? I'm not sure the vintage of the original trailer but it looks to be roughly the same dimensions...any thoughts?

Thanks!
Bluebamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
How did they get that out of their trailer? How would you get it in yours?
Attached Thumbnails
3K73G13Fb5Id5E35K9d330bfc36ae8a5c1bb1.jpg   3Le3p23N15If5G15E2d33c8be3ebfb4621d7c.jpg  

Old 03-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15 ft
That was the main concern when someone was interested in my Escape 15' without a shower. They wanted to put one in, but without taking the trailer apart there is no way to get a shower unit in a trailer after the fact. The single piece shower unit is one of the first things that goes into a trailer. The the walls and cabinetry is built around it and then the windows are put in. I was told it was impossible to take an already built trailer and then put a shower unit in.
Cathy Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:07 AM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Go through the floor, or cut it in two, get it in the trailer, and glass it back together.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Seriously, Sell your Bigfoot and buy one with it already installed. Bigfoots are "top end" campers and you'll greatly devalue it if you do a Mickey Mouse job.

It would be much easier to install an outside shower and purchase a stand alone shower screen/tent.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #6

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Difference between a unitized shower and a shower pan with waterproof wall panels. The realm of the possible always opens up more options.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: 17ft Bigfoot trailer
British Columbia
@Frederick L. Simson @Cathy Gale @Jared J @Steve Hammel @rabbit

Thanks for your insights. I suppose an outdoor shower is another option. We love our BF too much to tamper with it's structural integrity

Thanks!
Bluebamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Outdoor Shower

Hello,
Camping mostly in the summer I find the outdoor
shower option works fine using a 'shower tent'
from WalMart and a 5 gallon sun shower. If the
water does not get hot enough it can be heated
in a pot on the stove.... carefully. The little
shower tent is also a fine place to keep the
portapottie if you don't want it in the trailer.

Looks like the shower tent is up to $42 from
the $33 I paid at WalMart few years ago. It
takes about 10 minutes to set up. I like to install
it on a slight slope with the door on the uphill
end to facilitate proper drainage away form the tent.

I got my sun shower for $2 at the thrift store.
However, they are as cheap as $7 at Amazon.

Stay clean!
Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #9

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
I'm wondering if those parts are from the trailer advertised a few months ago at a great price but with an iffy background, no papers etc. Looks like quite a nice trailer got hacked up for parts.

Oh well, probably better than if someone had bought it as their dream trailer only to discover that it couldn't be registered or worse.

It would be tempting to cut and install the ready made shower unit but as others have pointed out it's a fine line between an improvement and a mod that devalues the trailer.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Instead of cutting up the trailer, cut up the shower. Figure out what size pieces will fit through the available doors. Then reassemble the pieces in place. Grind the seams apply glass mat, sand smooth, paint.
Yah, I know it is more work then that.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C Hanson View Post
Hello,
Camping mostly in the summer I find the outdoor
shower option works fine using a 'shower tent'
from WalMart and a 5 gallon sun shower. If the
water does not get hot enough it can be heated
in a pot on the stove.... carefully. The little
shower tent is also a fine place to keep the
portapottie if you don't want it in the trailer.

Looks like the shower tent is up to $42 from
the $33 I paid at WalMart few years ago. It
takes about 10 minutes to set up. I like to install
it on a slight slope with the door on the uphill
end to facilitate proper drainage away form the tent.

I got my sun shower for $2 at the thrift store.
However, they are as cheap as $7 at Amazon.

Stay clean!
Larry H

I absolutely agree! And if you do it without the tent it's amazing how much privacy you will get!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #12

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Yikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I absolutely agree! And if you do it without the tent it's amazing how much privacy you will get!
So that is why there were always plenty of empty camp
sites around mine!?!?

I used to not use a tent and sneak behind the trailer
wearing a pair of speedos and flip flops....hang the sun
shower from a tree branch. That worked OK but it never
seemed to fail that just as the shower was over the wind
would kick up a cloud of dust and I would be dirty again
before being able to dry. The tent is much better.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Michael,
If your "Standard" model Bigfoot is like mine, there's much more required than the shower enclosure. Does your trailer have a hot water heater and a separate gray water tank? Also, the "Deluxe" models have no window in the bathroom/shower but mine has one. Adding a shower has crossed my mind but it seems too complex.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't have a clue what the biggest measurement of the shower surround is, but would it be possible to take out your largest window to get it in? I know Casita changed the rear window starting in model year 2003, because that's the only way to replace the refrigerator. Or, it may be possible to cut the smallest area and coil the surround around an opening to get it in (think getting a couch through a doorway). Then, you'd have minor fiberglass work to do.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
With a 13' boler we've been utilizing the shower bag and a pop-up cabana for years because one of our favourite Provincial Park Campgrounds (Kiosk) in the northern end of Algonquin has no showers. We like the pop-up cabana rather than the shower Tent because it only takes about 30 seconds to pop it up and when it's folded back into it's bag it hides beneath the mattress. We also keep the porta potti in there when it's not in use as a shower.
We also use the cabana here at home as a change room for the pool when a bunch of our grandchildren are here. Saves on our floors!
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It may be a moot point, the ad has been pulled

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The door opening in my Bigfoot is 67" x 22.5". The 2 piece front window is 68" x 24". The actual dimensions may be slightly larger if all the mounting trim was removed and measured from the bare fiberglass.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #18

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I'll add my 2 cents.

While it would be complicated, and a dirty job, you could build a shower pan and walls in place.

You could also cut open a section of your camper, install it and repair the opening.

I've seen this sort of thing done on boats.

You have to weigh the time and expense against buying another camper with one already installed. If you are handy with fiberglassing and work for free, the materials costs are not bad. You also have to be willing to cut holes in perfectly good fiberglass, or otherwise cut up something that is working. For most people this is the hard part.

Fiberglass works is 30-60 minutes of work a day over a week or two. Sanding can be a nasty job and you need a good respirator.

The most difficult part is matching gel coat colors, but painting is not difficult either.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #19

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
My shower solution

Hot showers are important to me. So I'm rigging up something I can use in my 13' Scamp, that will be easy up and down as well as not take up much space.
I purchased this dog wash tub at a different site--I think I paid $30. I will add a hose to drain it to an outside gray water container.
Portable Collapsible Pet Bath Tub Indoor Outdoor Large Labs or Any Size Grooming - Shampooing & Washing

I also purchased a shower tent that I will suspend against the cabinets using an adjustable tension curtain rod.
Amazon.com: Texsport Privacy Shelter w/Shower: Sports & Outdoors

I had planned to use a pump sprayer with water warmed on the stove, but decided to splurge when I found this water heater/shower unit. It had great reviews and I found it below the msrp, so I went for it. I plan to put it under the rear dinette seat and add a small access panel to flip the switch on and run the hose/showerhead. Will also adapt to run off of my propane tank.
Amazon.com: Basecamp by Mr. Heater Aquacube Digital Shower (Blk/Silver): Sports & Outdoors

With the Fantastic Fan I just added, I think it will vent the moisture out without a problem. I also plan to purchase a large popup shower tent to use outdoors with the setup when the weather is warm.
I don't plan to travel with everything in the Scamp, I'll just take what I intend to use for my trip depending on the time of year.

Anyhoo, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it. Tub with fittings and hose $40; Hanging Shower tent $20; Basecamp shower unit $280; popup tent $50 = Total under $400. Hot daily shower...PRICELESS!
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #20

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Anyhoo, that's my plan and I'm sticking to it. Tub with fittings and hose $40; Hanging Shower tent $20; Basecamp shower unit $280; popup tent $50 = Total under $400. Hot daily shower...PRICELESS!
Neat! Coincidentally, I'm working on something similar. I was sold on a mortar mixing tub from Home Depot for a base, but I'll look at the dog washing tub as a possibility.

Edit: Reviews on Amazon say the dog tub is not that water tight. Could be problem in a trailer. Another alternative is a plastic pan made to go under water heaters:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1001774...2#.UTfiD1cj6rM

This is the large mortar pan, there is one a little smaller, too:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020861...4#.UTfiS1cj6rM