Adding a shower to a trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2008, 09:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I made my way to this forum from popupexplorer.com after a cold wet week in a tent trailer was uncomfortable. On that site , several have added a shower by fitting a plastic laundry sink into the dinette seat and subsequent drain to waste lines and then using shower curtains with some sort of plastic frame that attaches to ceiling and gives the curtains shape to protect the rest of the trailer.

This may be an option for those looking for something on board in small rigs.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's several members that have added inside showers to smaller trailers. Gina D (in her lil Burro and Ken & Dian James in their BigFoot and Trilliums.

In each case it involved hanging a shower curtain from the ceiling (on a ring), standing in a tote of some sort and using a pump. If you Search, you'll find the topics....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
On that site , several have added a shower by fitting a plastic laundry sink into the dinette seat...
Craig Dorsey of Vintage Vacations reconfigured an Airstream in this manner. He removed the bathroom from across the back of the trailer and placed a permanent bed in that area. He then put a half-bath "midships" and made the original Airstream bathtub fit under the new dinette seat.

Pictures Here.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Have heard of using the doorway as a shower area too. Adding a plastic liner here also allows you to remove mucky boots and shoes before stepping further into the trailer. Just wash out the area of the muck drug in with the shower head.

Like other suggestions above a shower curtain is used to protect surrounding areas from overspray.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Hi fellow eggers. I haven't posted in a long time. I have a 2005 13 ft Scamp.

Anyway, I recently added a nice hot shower that gets set up in a few minutes, is about 30 inches in diameter and very leak proof. The drain water is pumped to the grey water tank but could be to an external vessel. I can easily shower with 2 gallons but prefer 2.5 to 3 for comfort.

Will get more info if anyone is interested.

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 09-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #6

Quote:
...Will get more info if anyone is interested.
I'm interested
Old 09-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #7

Coach,

I can't produce pictures just yet but I will try to describe what I did in general terms and you can tell me if you are still interested in my shower set up.

My shower is probably a little more complex than most people will be willing to do but many things can be left out.

I have water on demand water pump that fills a three gallon "tamale" pot on the stove. A valve fills the pot. An auxiliary pump under the sink and over the wheel well sucks the 30 inch diameter drain pad dry. It is wired to a switch within the shower curtain area to run and drain water building up. A second push pull switch turns shower pump, in the tamale pot, on/off. A holder secures the shower nozzle.

Everything's great and requires about five minutes to set up or take down. All drain water is sent to gray water tank.

The build is a little tricky because of the off the shelf parts I used. I apologize that I will not be able to get pictures out for a while. That would make it easier.

At this point I just wanted to give you a high level overview that describes 2 pumps and a lot of electrical. If that doesn't scare you please advise. I will do my best to get photos soon.

Regards

Santiago in Anaheim
Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #8

Quote:
...At this point I just wanted to give you a high level overview that describes 2 pumps and a lot of electrical. If that doesn't scare you please advise. I will do my best to get photos soon.
I don't scare easy. Look forward to the pictures and drawings. Also detail on the "on demand" pump
Old 09-27-2008, 05:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Yes Santiago, we all want to see pictures.
A parts list would be nice too!
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Just found this site. They have a wide variety of shower pans and a lot of other hard to find stuff. http://www.pellandent.com/
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #11

Boy, I didn't expect a 13 footer shower to be popular.

Yes I will post as soon as I return from a Scamp trip coming up in a few days. My fabulous wife and I just "camped" out three days last week at the curb as the house was tented for fumigation and we have been trying to recover as she wanted practically everything boxed and out in the back yard. A lot of work and I still can't find my stuff to just get to work.

Have extra parts and will photograph them as well. Have used this set up and am very satisfied.
One change I will make is in adding a 12v relay to operate the sump pump as running heavier power lines to the switch within the shower control area is awkward. New setup will have very light gauge control wires activate the relay.

The shower head and pump is the Coleman kit that has a D battery box, immersible pump and shower head. This works very well and all the wiring and shower tubing are attached to the overhead frame that stores under the bed as well as the shower pan and curtain. The D battery box sits in the overhead cabinet.

The frame consists of two chrome 1 inch dia shower curtain tubes from Ace Hardware. They run from the ends of the closet to the over the sink/stove cabinets. The are attached by inserting into 1 inch PVC slip plugs that amazingly have the correct ID for the chrome tubes. TThe pair on the closet are round, the other set on the cabinet are cut so that the tubes can be inserted sideways. The one nearest the stove need to rotate as it will interfere with that overhead door. After the showe is put away, that cap is rotated for door clearance.

The cloth type curtain is soft and easy to put away. Got two at Bed Bath & Beyond. They were cut and sewn to exact length. They hang on a 30 in dia hula hoop with chrome plated shower curtain wire spring hoops. the hoola hoop is temporarily secured to the wo chrome bars with velcro strips.

By marking where the bars need to insert through the curtain, it becomes a quick operation. It all comes together in a few minutes.

The pan is an aluminum water heater pan with a height of two inches, from Home Depot. It comes with one large side drain hole that Iplugged. I drillesd second hole and installed an electrical PVC elbow not like most elbows, don't know the name. It is cut so the it has a 1/16 inch gap between it and the pan floor. This makes it behave like wet vac and it really empties out the pan quickly and leave almost no water behind. You will need a Shure flow strainer as you will be surprised at what we shed when we bath.

The water for showering. I use 3 gal alumimun pot that sits empty on the stove. A copper line leading from under the sink, feeds off the demand pump line and has a brass shut off ball valve. The line is bent so that it saddles the pot and water is released at the bottom of the pot and to the side. From here I can add more water by sticking my hand out the curtain. I find that one full pot is way more than enough for me and/or my wife unless she washes all that beatiful hair she has.

The stove heats the water to the right temperature in a few minutes as well as make the room warm for showering.

My setup's goals of not having to deal with bucket filling nor messy shower pan drainage were met. I can shower with no help from another as all the controls are within the shower. When done I prefer to hang the curtain with hula hoop attached, outside for drying. If not that night then in the morning. The whole thing stores under the full time bed.

Will be happy to post when we return, just wanted to give you additional details. Please keep in mind that there are a dozen ways to accomplish the same thing, I would welcome ideas from others to improve my set up.

Hope this give you a better idea. I like pictures as they show a lot of information and will take them. Can someone tell e how to post them here. In the five years or so of reading and posting, I haven't posted picture.

Santiago in Anaheim
05 Scamp 13

Old 02-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #12

Trailer: Compact Jr
Wow. I am sitting here drawing up designs for my Compact Jr. and think I have something that will work thanks to reading this post! I am going to take a heavy plastic tub, drill a hole up from the bottom edge to attach a threaded hose (garden type)- hose will be stuffed down the electric cord hole . I will drill holes at the top of this bin to attach a soap holder. Sew a curtain liner so it forms a tube which will hook with S hooks on the lip of my pop up top. This will allow me to lift the curtaiin from the bottom, step in the tub, tuck it into the tub and when I am finished slip it down into the tub to take out without a mess! I will lay a hot water solar bag on the closet shelf that the spigot will fit through a slit in the curtain and I can use the shut off on the tube. The S hooks can be held with a clothes pin on either side, maybe will need 6 of them. Oh I like this idea! I will be spending 4 months living in this 13 ft trailer with my dog and am devising ways to make it, useable, like home...
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote