adding a third tail/brake light to my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
adding a third tail/brake light to my Scamp

We plan to haul two bikes on our Scamp and I was concerned about the bikes obscuring the brake lights. So I added a third LED light on top of the trailer as shown. I bent some sheet aluminum for the mounting and attached it with 3m tape. Wiring was much harder then mounting. I ran the 3 wires thru the roof vent down to the left tail light and patched the wires together. Hopefully the increased visibility will warn folks when I brake.

Safe travels, john
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp photos 6.jpg   Scamp photos 5.jpg  

John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Did something similar on our Casita. Added a high mount tail / turn / stop light bar above the rear window. Installed a junction box on the trailer tongue and made my connections there. On the rear bike rack that I use on our Uhaul camper I installed an extra set of tail lights. Now you've probably opened up a can of worms about rear bike racks !!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #3

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Georgia
I've been kicking this idea around, too. I got stalled at the wiring for only a brake light...i guess I have to run stop/tail/turn, or at least stop/turn. With the shared bulb makes it goofy.

I suppose I could add a relay to reverse the polarity of one of the signals, and use that to ground the high mount? That way it would only light when green and yellow wires were both energized...i think...maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Martins HeirCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:20 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Glenn; I used a strip light that has the 4 wires, and they are color coded the same as a standard flat 4 plug. It is LED, lights up to look like 3 marker lights when tail lights are on, has left and right turn, and is solid red with stop lights. Wired in just as you would normal tail light wiring.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Added tail ights

When ordering my Scamp 16 I opted to add a set of tail lights above the mid seam. Scamp is charging me only $75.
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:57 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martins HeirCon View Post
I've been kicking this idea around, too. I got stalled at the wiring for only a brake light...i guess I have to run stop/tail/turn, or at least stop/turn. With the shared bulb makes it goofy.

I suppose I could add a relay to reverse the polarity of one of the signals, and use that to ground the high mount? That way it would only light when green and yellow wires were both energized...i think...maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
You need one of these to make it work.

Pacer 20-702 Logic Module for LED Lighting Kits - Tail Light Circuit

Spanke

Tags
light, scamp