Adding AC & External Shower to 17' 06 Bigfoot? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Hi All,

We are looking at a listing for an '06 Bigfoot 17.5 CB. Just confirmed with the owner that it is missing the following options that we really wanted:

1. AC (we are in Phoenix, AZ and love the desert, so would be trailering in hot weather a lot)

2. Exterior shower (we are avid hikers so would prefer to at least be able to wash the dirt off our feet and shoes prior to going inside)

3. Stereo (we go into nature to be quiet, but would enjoy some low tunes when inside)

Hoping to hear from those of you are quite skilled at modifications on whether or not we could easily and affordably add these options at a dealership or service center? We are both very good at home improvements but are not electrically or mechanically-minded, so would not be inclined to do it ourselves unless it was fairly idiot-proof.

Post script: after reading in another thread how difficult (perhaps impossible) it is to fit two adults comfortably on one of the sleep areas of a 17.5, I am also wondering if others have found a way around this that still allows for a bed to be made at all times and a dinette to be used for eating? If we can't address that issue, we will have to look more closely at the Escape or perhaps a Casita... we can make do sharing a full, but there is no way we can share a twin bed.

Thanks for your input!

Val
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi All,

We are looking at a listing for an '06 Bigfoot 17.5 CB. Just confirmed with the owner that it is missing the following options that we really wanted:

1. AC (we are in Phoenix, AZ and love the desert, so would be trailering in hot weather a lot)

2. Exterior shower (we are avid hikers so would prefer to at least be able to wash the dirt off our feet and shoes prior to going inside)

3. Stereo (we go into nature to be quiet, but would enjoy some low tunes when inside)
Was missing all of the above in my trailer as well. Solved two of your issues as follows:

#2) When at a camp ground with water put a splitter at the tap and attach a short hose with sprayer on one side and the hose to the trailer on the other. When dry camping hang a portable Sunshower on the side of trailer.

#3) Purchased a small JVC RAP10 - Radio, Alarm Clock, with date display and room temperature & I-Pod docking station. Runs on AC or batteries and has a remote. Sounds good. Only about 4" wide by 10" long so it takes up very little space - all for under $100.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Was missing all of the above in my trailer as well. Solved two of your issues as follows:

#2) When at a camp ground with water put a splitter at the tap and attach a short hose with sprayer on one side and the hose to the trailer on the other. When dry camping hang a portable Sunshower on the side of trailer.

#3) Purchased a small JVC RAP10 - Radio, Alarm Clock, with date display and room temperature & I-Pod docking station. Runs on AC or batteries and has a remote. Sounds good. Only about 4" wide by 10" long so it takes up very little space - all for under $100.

Great ideas, both of them, thank you! And we already have a sunshower since we are avid campers, so that is an easy fix. Have since decided that the CB model won't work for us, so are focusing on the BF G model, a Scamp Fifth or an Escape fifth. Based on the literature--not having seen one in person--my dream trailer is the Escape fifth (it would be a Bigfoot fifth, but getting a used one from BC area would be too challenging). I love the layout of the Scamp...just am still trying to research how it would hold up to being driven on bumpy dirt roads. Of course, the Escape fifth is brand new, so they may end up having to iron out some issues too... never know when it's a brand new model.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #4

Trailer: 1994 20 ft Bigfoot 5th Wheel / Toyota Tacoma SR5
Quote:
(it would be a Bigfoot fifth, but getting a used one from BC area would be too challenging).
Val....if you decide to purchase a Bigfoot 5er from BC you can have a driver team tow it to you for about $1500. I can put you in touch with a few who would be willing to pick it up and deliver it. We bought our current 5er from Herschel and had a team pick it up and drive it to us...simple enough....just make sure you see a bunch of pics before buying.

Paul
jrnutpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Val....if you decide to purchase a Bigfoot 5er from BC you can have a driver team tow it to you for about $1500. I can put you in touch with a few who would be willing to pick it up and deliver it. We bought our current 5er from Herschel and had a team pick it up and drive it to us...simple enough....just make sure you see a bunch of pics before buying.

Paul
Thanks, Paul! Now if I could find someone in BC whom I can pay a little somethin' to go check one out if I find one, that would feel a lot more certain than buying based on photos. I stayed at a B & B once that looked gorgeous in the online photos, but was a total trashbucket once I got there... the room that supposedly had a Grecian mural in it actually had a poster of a Grecian mural tacked on with pushpins, and none of the online photos could have conveyed how bad the place smelled! So I am a little wary of buying online based on pix alone....
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Quote:
Hi All,

3. Stereo (we go into nature to be quiet, but would enjoy some low tunes when inside.
1. AC is a common dealer installed option - no problem. I believe an '06 would have the 120V wiring already installed to the roof vent area. This pre-wire has been standard since at least 2000, and maybe even earlier.

2. The exterior shower could also be installed by any competent RV service center - especially those who sell and service Bigfoot. If there is no dealer in your area a photograph of a 17.5 with the exterior shower option might be helpful to a local installer. The Bigfoot factory may also be able to supply more detailed installation instructions.

3. Bigfoot has also provided stereo pre-wire as standard equipment for many years. Wiring and speakers should already be installed, so it would be easy to add a CD player.

Steve.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
1. AC is a common dealer installed option - no problem. I believe an '06 would have the 120V wiring already installed to the roof vent area. This pre-wire has been standard since at least 2000, and maybe even earlier.

2. The exterior shower could also be installed by any competent RV service center - especially those who sell a

That's a relief. Gives us some options--thanks!

Tags
bigfoot