Adding shower: 16' Scamp Layout 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #1

Name: Sara
Trailer: I'm now married to a 16 Foot 93 Scamp!
Florida
Smile Adding shower: 16' Scamp Layout 4

Hello wonderful helpers! My Scamp has a bathroom with a toilet and it does not have a shower. I want to add a shower and was provided with an estimate of $2000. The estimate is from a local company that inspects/repairs/restores RVs/Boats/Trailers. Quite frankly . . . I am HORRIFIED at this price and would greatly appreciate some input as to what you think of this estimate. Also . . . any input, pics etc. from anyone that has already added a shower to their bathroom would be great. Also . . . any referrals to others threads/posts regarding adding a shower to a Scamp would be helpful. I thought that going to a company that specializes in this would be the best idea and am now re-considering. Thank you in advance for any help you might provide!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I assume it does not have the shower pan (floor).. if so to match the Scamp layout four shower you would need to pull out the commode and black water tank, install a shower pan, drain pipe to the gray water tank, and a pump. Then install waterproof wall covering and run piping to the cold and hot water plumbing, add hand shower wand, replace black water tank and commode. $2,000 almost sounds cheap

All that for a shower that I personally find largely impractical. I have not used mine in 30 months of ownership and I even removed the water heater.

If you really want the shower, I would call Scamp and ask them how much they would charge. Even if you don't want to go to Backus, it will give you an idea of what the cost is. I would expect Scamp to be lower than most anyone else.

But IMHO you should consider other ideas such as a portable outside shower, or even a solar bag shower or a bucket filled with hot water from a tea kettle.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Call Scamp. They do a lot of remodel/upgrade work on their trailers. Their prices are generally pretty competitive and they have all the parts right there.

Toilet-only models may not have a hot water system. If so, this upgrade involves adding a complete hot water system and water heater as well as a shower pan and fiberglass panels, along with drain plumbing. So, $2000 may not be such a bad price. Scamp's estimate will give you a basis for comparison, and I'd be curious to hear their answer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #4

Florida
Well . . . I called Scamp and asked for a quote and they quoted $3,000.00 !!!

It's starting to look like I will be 'bathing' in front of the sink !!! LOL!
Old 05-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I assume it does not have the shower pan (floor).. if so to match the Scamp layout four shower you would need to pull out the commode and black water tank, install a shower pan, drain pipe to the gray water tank, and a pump. Then install waterproof wall covering and run piping to the cold and hot water plumbing, add hand shower wand, replace black water tank and commode. $2,000 almost sounds cheap

All that for a shower that I personally find largely impractical. I have not used mine in 30 months of ownership and I even removed the water heater.

If you really want the shower, I would call Scamp and ask them how much they would charge. Even if you don't want to go to Backus, it will give you an idea of what the cost is. I would expect Scamp to be lower than most anyone else.

But IMHO you should consider other ideas such as a portable outside shower, or even a solar bag shower or a bucket filled with hot water from a tea kettle.
This is great advice.

We too removed our water heater as well as the shower. The space was so very very small that I was unable to stand up, mostly because I am 6'3".

So, we bought this portable sprayer from Amazon and intended to use it for dishes and a shower when then absolute need arose. We did use it for dishes repeatedly and it worked fabulously. I wouldn't recommend adding the shower in such a small camper, but that's just my opinion. The popup shower mentioned by several others would be a great choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
shower.jpg  
Old 05-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
We have the shower in our Scamp, but it is unusable by me.<_< My 13, now 14 year old daughter has used it but we both use other facilities now. When boondocking that is a pop-up shower tent on top of a perforated rubber mat.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercuban View Post
Well . . . I called Scamp and asked for a quote and they quoted $3,000.00 !!!

It's starting to look like I will be 'bathing' in front of the sink !!! LOL!
With Scamp's estimate at $3000, now I'm wondering what the local shop is overlooking or leaving out!

I figure you really only need a full body shower once or twice a week when camping. Soap and a washcloth in the meantime. Many campgrounds have showers, and alternatives when boondocking have already been mentioned. Another is a garden sprayer, the kind used to spray insecticides. Heat water on stove, pump for pressure. Read a blog where a pair of young, full-timing adventurers did just that.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe an exterior shower.
Attached Thumbnails
shower2.jpg   exterior shower.jpg  

Old 05-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I thought that with the amount of labor and material required to add a shower ,
$2000 was on the low side . I did electrical estimating for many years and I never heard a customer remark that the price was too low
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Maybe an exterior shower.
If you have a water heater then I would second this motion. It would be much less money. Depending on where you are camping, you might need to catch the gray water, and you might want a privacy shower tent, but this is a good option. I am sure there is a way to do it in almost any Scamp, with any layout and options.

If you do not have a water heater (like me), then you might as well hook up to the site's water tap for your shower. And if there is no water at the site, then how much / often can you clean up with the little fresh water tank on the Scamp anyway?

Usually the campground bathhouse (if there is one) is preferable to trying to shower in a Scamp with side bath, even if it is somewhat on the nasty side. Shower shoes, however, are a requirement.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #11

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
I bought the external continuous flow propane water heater -- we will use it only for the shower, and unhook it when we are in regular campgrounds with showers. It was a little more than a hundred dollars but might be a really good solution for outside.

https://smile.amazon.com/Camplux-1-3...eater+tankless

looks like it is a little more now.
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
The garden sprayer and the continuous hot water heater are both good suggestions. Some garden sprayers have thicker walls which would hold the heat and pressure.

I have had good luck with products from this company, particularly the Extreme Shower.
Zodi Portable Instant Hot Shower | Shower Accessories | Free Shipping* on Orders over $100 | Zodi.com

Plan B? Plumb an outdoor shower into your trailer, as Glenn suggests.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #13

Florida
Adding Shower: 16' Scamp Layout 4

I am so G R A T E F U L for every single bit of great advice, the links and the pics!

I will definitely NOT be adding a shower and now have choices available thanks to all you helpful people! My fundamental concern was cold weather as I plan to relocate to western North Carolina where it does get cold for a Floridian.

THANKS SO MUCH !!!
Old 05-18-2018, 06:57 AM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercuban View Post
... My fundamental concern was cold weather as I plan to relocate to western North Carolina where it does get cold for a Floridian....
Not just for Floridian's but for also for us (now) native Carolinians also. Even in the Piedmont, the Scamp needs to be winterized almost half the year. And that of course means no showers in the camper. The OEM shower has a pump that is exposed under the trailer and that is one of the first things that will suffer freeze damage.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #15

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
I have gotten a lot out of this thread as I am looking at possibilities for my 16ft. Casita rebuild. Thank you Sara for starting the topic. I like Eric's small, on-demand water heater, the smaller on-demand type camp showers with internal pump, and the lower tech garden sprayer suggestions. Another option for outdoor showering in summer weather is the trusty solar bag such as this one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/5-Gallon-...&wl13=&veh=sem

We often camp with a friend who has two larger versions of solar shower bags. I think they are about 3 gal. each. He has filled them from an icy mountain stream, left them on a rock in the sun all day and provided enough hot water to offer decent back country showers to our party of 7 people showering on alternate days.

I guess it all comes down to what do you can get by with verses cost and how you plan to use your trailer. Will you mostly boondock in remote areas or will you spend most of your time in campgrounds that provide toilet & shower facilities but in a more suburban environment with lesser privacy?
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
. I like Eric's small, on-demand water heater, ...
Be sure and read the reviews. I did not read them all because the first five I saw were one star, so I stopped there. If it works well and lasts it would be nice. At the price, I am not optimistic.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #17

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
I purchased a used bath for 15$ using it as a base shower pan , then built vinyl panel walls added black tank and shower and sink drains.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3333.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	119438
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3340.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	336.6 KB
ID:	119439

Name:	IMG_3343.JPG
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	119440

Name:	IMG_3360.JPG
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	119441

Name:	IMG_3363.JPG
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	119442Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3396.JPG
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	119443
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #18

Name: Ross
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Registry
If you want to see my Renovations, here is the link.
Trillium 4500 (quebec)
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81003
Seaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:38 AM   #19

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Be creative set up a portable shower inside the aisle in the trailer. Suspend the curtain from the ceiling.

Use a mixing tub for the shower pan, add a drain line down low on the side using a barbed fitting. If you wanted to you could even hook up a 12 volt pump to drain that water up and into the sink where it goes into the grey water tank. Of you can gravity drain it through a tube that goes out the door.

Below is a link to a 24 inch wide tub, they also have 19 inch wide version, both are 36 inches long and are only 8 inches high. These tubs are very durable as they were made for mixing up bags of concrete using a hoe as the mixer. The link leads to the Home Depot website, it is safe and secure to open.

Home Depot Mixing Tub
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:09 AM   #20

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I have a 16 foot, layout 4 on order now from Scamp. I deleted the toilet, since I prefer to use a composting toilet. The factory charge for the shower only option is $1000. I imagine, it is much more labor intensive to add on after the fact than it is to install it during production. My point, is that $2000 may not be unreasonable. If I were in your situation, I would call Scamp and find out what they would charge to retrofit. I have found most of their charges for service to be reasonable.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp