Adding shurflo water pump to sink. ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Adding shurflo water pump to sink. ??

Howdy from AK. My wife is officially done pumping water. It's a workout to prime that POS only to have to do it again 5 mins later.
So, i found this working shurflo 2088-403-144 on craigslist for $20 and had to grab it to start the process of upgrading our sink. I would like to go from my water tank to the electric pump to the city water faucet that is already installed next to my handpump faucet. Im ok with using the current tube from the tank to the pump faucet, since there is only one tank outlet.
How about i just list my questions:
The inlet on shurflo pump is 1/2" yet water tank tube is much smaller. Should i find some adapter and just hook it up small tube into adapter into pump?

Once in place, im unsure how the pump actually works. Do i need to add an electric on/off switch that i turn on to make pump go or does simply opening the faucet make it kick on?

I think those are my main questions for getting going. Any help is appreciated. 👍🏻
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1461604861.767356.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	94561

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #2

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1461605058.309412.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	94562

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
AKSCAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:55 PM   #3

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
test the pump first

We bought a 1991 Scamp and were assured of a very large amount of maintenance had been performed, only to find out that most of the unit was in trouble, including the pump. When I hooked up the water we had more than one leak and water everywhere.

Before you go to any trouble installing your bargain pump, hook it up to a battery and test it in the yard using your garden hose as see if the main seals are tight.

Next, take the model number from the pump sticker and look up the features from the manufacturer so you know what you're working with before you start.

Next, read the basic wiring information regarding 12v electrical so you understand the basics of the wiring system and THEN look into the existing wiring of your current electrical system to be sure you have good stuff to work with...the wiring on our scamp was so bad in some parts that the insulation was brittle and falling off (outside plug to the tow vehicle).

We bought a new pump online and installed it with a toggle switch that can be used to shut it off when we don't need to use it, despite the claim from the manufacturer that the pump will shut off automatically once it achieves the proper pressure levels. I just wanted to be able to shut it off when not using it, so...

I realize that this is way more information than you were asking, but I learned by making mistakes that I had to uninstall a bad pump a second time, so I thought I'd offer you the benefit of my problem pump.

Good luck.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #4

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
It's not hard until you have to do it twice and then it becomes a pain...