Adding spare tire bracket to Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Trailer: Boler
Adding spare tire bracket to Boler?

So our Boler did not come with a spare tire bracket. I like the look of the tire on the back, and scamp sells the bracket for it. My husband though thinks the fiberglass on the scamp must be thicker, reinforced, where the bracket is. (The bracket does have a plate that goes on the inside). He thinks if we just add the bracket the weight of the spare tire would pull and make a hole in the fiberglass. Anyone done this and have a yeah or nay opinion??
Stacy Crotser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Here is a picture of the bracket:
Attached Thumbnails
tire bracket.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
My Casita has a single reinforced bolt through the back side. For me I personally am taking it off and will be doing a bumper mount. I have read the forum on pros and cons. Some say the tire will pull and crack the FG. Mine is an 86 and the bolt is solid still. It is reinforced internally somehow I believe with the appropriate large surface bearing washer and nut on the inside and then glassed over. I just went to a 15inch tire and dont want the additional weight on my shell.
Others with more background will chime in soon.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Crotser View Post
So our Boler did not come with a spare tire bracket. I like the look of the tire on the back, and scamp sells the bracket for it. My husband though thinks the fiberglass on the scamp must be thicker, reinforced, where the bracket is. (The bracket does have a plate that goes on the inside).
He is right - Scamp does add a piece of wood on the inside that the plate sits on and is covered over with the rat fur.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My scamp didn't have the wood, but it also mushroomed out the holes. I'm not putting a spare back on it. I run two anyway, so I'll throw them in the pickup bed. If I needed room, I would just set one in the trailer, and throw it under while camping, IMHO.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #6

Thanks everyone! That answers my question!!
Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #7

Name: Randy
Trailer: 1980Trillium 1300
Ontario
..Putting a spare wheel on the outside surface at the rear of F.G shell without reinforcement from the INSIDE is ...playing a dangerous game on the road, in my opinion. As I know of, 18wheeler manufacturers who have their roof cabin made of fiberglass. When install a satellite bracket in the back of the roof which is so light compared to a spare wheel of trailer campers, they do install a square piece of aluminum as reinforcement from inside. I would do the same when coming up reinforcement my bunkbed at the hinges. A spare wheel is too heavy for fiberglass shell and with the combination of vibration on the road, I would think it is dangerous without reinforcement from inside of the shell. Just my thought...
Thinh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler