Adhesive for aluminum to glass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #1

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Little Big Foot
Alberta
Adhesive for aluminum to glass

I just bought a used trailer and there are things I have to fix before I go south in December. One is detached aluminum tab to push/pull sliding window. I cleaned it up and now I don’t know what to use to attach it to the glass. Few shops told me to use silicon which seems to be too flexible. The stuff that was used before is semi hard, tan in color, softens with heat substantially but still hard to separate, even at 65C (hot to touch without getting burned). Should I use butyl rubber? I don’t want to use epoxy in case I have to detach it when replacing glass.
Next are rubber mouldings around windows. I just need short pieces. Anyone knows a good source?
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I used urethane windshield adhesive. I paid $15 for a tube, but later realized a glass shop probably would have given me a dollop for free if I'd been smart enough to ask.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Auto parts stores will have a small tube of adhesive to attach a rear view mirror to the windshield. But wait, is that done anymore, I'm thinking of when I used it on my '78 pickup about 15 years ago. It might be worth looking into.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Auto parts stores will have a small tube of adhesive to attach a rear view mirror to the windshield. But wait, is that done anymore, I'm thinking of when I used it on my '78 pickup about 15 years ago. It might be worth looking into.
This product is still available. Its a two part adhesive. You get enough adhesive in the tube for one rear view mirror application. My experience is that this product should be considered permanent.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have used silicone, just like the glass shop advised me, on 2 seperate occassions.
It works very well.
Just give it a day or two to cure.
Glass and the metal expand and flex at different rates, the silicone is flexible and flexes also.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I did this 3 or 4 years ago to a slider window and used 3M trim tape. It still appears to ve very permanent.
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I recently used "Loctite GO-2 Glue" for that purpose, so far so good.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #8

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Seems the only thing left to try is SPIT !
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #9

Name: Rudy
Trailer: Little Big Foot
Alberta
Thanks to all who came with an advice. I found a place where someone has an experience with this. They use a product (forgot the name), it comes in as a tape, which they place over the channel in aluminum tab, then place the glass edge over it and with two blows with a wooden mallet they drive it into it. For that you have to have the aluminum part in horizontal and the glass in vertical, something I can’t do with window in the trailer. The second option they suggested is the silicon. I will look into Loctite, thanks Bob. Unfortunately, the ambient temperatures are now well below +5C, so I will have to do it down south, if I ever get out. My vehicle is only a front wheel drive.
It is going to be tricky in how much of the glue I should put into the gap. The side near to the stationary part of the window is not accessible to remove all displaced material after I push the aluminum over the glass.
The 3rd option is to buy a small vacuum bell just for sliding the window open, to push it closed is not a problem. I’ll have to find out who sells the stuff.
rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #10

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Rudy,

When I recently got my lil big foot the dealership that had it as a trade-in glued the strips back on mine. I'm guessing you should just call an Rv dealer and ask them what they use or if they would sell you some of their stuff.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote