After market roof a/c - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #15

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think it depends on your camping style and perhaps your climate- A/C must be pretty nice to have if in RV parks, parked on asphalt pads and in real hot weather. And some climates can be unbearably hot at night, or so I hear.

I mostly remotecamp, and spend very little time actually inside the trailer. I rarely have shorepower and dislike the noise/trouble of generators so A/C is out for me. And even in the "desert" areas of the Pacific Northwest, things cool off at night.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Bill, as Francesca suggests it pretty well comes down to where and the time of year you camp. My trailer came with a portable window ac that I carried with me for the first couple of years when heading into areas where it can get into the 100's. I installed a Fantastic Fan and I haven't taken the AC with me since. Here on the west coast there are only really a few weeks in the year when the AC would be nice but the FF does a good enough job of cooling the trailer down at night for me. Have camped in Arizona and Nevada where the temps have gotten into the low 100's but again the FF did good enough for me to cool the trailer down at night. As I also camp often without power the FF is more energy efficient for me. Now if I was camping in the dead of summer and faced temps of over 100 all the time I think I would like an AC.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Name: bill
Trailer: shopping
Arkansas
I will give it a go without ac. We can handle some heat fine and our fan works good. Thanks for your words. We are planning at the end of this month to Silver City New Mexico. Our first in the egg.
Bill
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #18

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Just a suggestion...
And if I was you..
If you decide to get an AC, pick one out that can run with a single Honda 2000 gen.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by qubeb View Post
I will give it a go without ac. We can handle some heat fine and our fan works good. Thanks for your words. We are planning at the end of this month to Silver City New Mexico. Our first in the egg.
Bill
If you have a solar system of a reasonable size - say 30 watts or more, it should have no problems keeping up with the power usage of the Fan assuming its a newer fairly efficient 12v fan.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #20

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Bill
Since you have slide side windows I would get the smoke colored plastic window covers so the windows can be opened during rain. Also invest in a vent cover for your fantastic fan. These are needed for ventilation while it is raining with no A/C.
Eddie
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...rs&Ntk=primary
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-white/58894
Old 03-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #21

British Columbia
Registry
The Window Maxx Vents that Eddie has provided the link to are near the top of the list of the best additions I have made to my trailer. Allows the windows to be opened even in a down pour.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:30 PM   #22

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I had the 5000BTU window AC installed in the 13' 2008 Scamp in the closet a year after I bought Scamp (used). The first summer I had Scamp, I went to Lake Mead, NV in July camping/kayaking. It was over 110 degrees during the day, and did not get below 95 at night. The fan was going full blast and all the windows were open. Never want to try to sleep in weather like that again. After that trip I thought, go north in the summer and south in the winter. That limits where I could travel, when. It was worth it to me to have the AC installed. The initial cost was less than a roof AC replacement. But, if the AC ever breaks down, I can go to Lowes/Home Depot/WalMart/Target, etc. and get a replacement for $100 and put it in myself in under an hour. I'm not sure what the cost would be to retro fit the roof with reinforcement and add the AC. The roof AC unit alone is around $900. The cost/benefit ratio is subjective to individual preferences. It would not hinder the resale value unless the buyer would never use it or the roof leaked.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote