After market roof a/c - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

Name: bill
Trailer: shopping
Arkansas
After market roof a/c

Hi All: I just purchase a 2000 16' Scamp without air. The dealer says they are not sure of any installed roof supports. I would like to have a/c as an option for our summer travels.
Regrettably, there is a large escape hatch in the rear over the edge of the dinette where I would like to have the a/c. There is 2 speed fan in the center so this leaves only the front roof area. I have the side bath and front bunks. I think the inside unit will clear the bath wall and still be centered on the roof. (it's close) I know I can get a #12 wire up thur the rat fur, but it is the needed support that bothers me. I was looking at a new unit that claims only 75lbs. Has anyone added roof support either internally of externally? Thanks
Bill
qubeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did you try asking Scamp if that roof will support a a/c as is?
TIP: Call, don't send an email.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Bill, call Scamp this morning. I'm sure they can answer your questions better than anyone here.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:52 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Bill
The factory A/C is usually mounted in the center near the closet. It should fit a 14"X14" vent hole. If the trailer is A/C ready you should feel a wire under the rat fur near the center vent. You might be in luck with a S-16. I think this subject is a FAQ on the Scamp website.
Good luck Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #5

Arkansas
a/c

Hi, I did speak to service at Scamp this morning and did learn that the air is suppose to be in the center. My fan is there so I can move it to the very rear where I now have a ceiling light. I see that the escape hatch is where it suppose to be. The service tech said that an extra support was probably not install with out an A/C order. When I push and pull on the vent I see the roof moving. I will remove the vent and see if I can do some reinforcing without having to remove all of the ceiling material. Do any of you think that a thick sheet of aluminum could be used on the exterior before mounting the a/c?
Bill
Old 03-05-2014, 11:17 AM   #6

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Before you go messing around with the roof, is there anywhere, a closet or cupboard where you can install a window AC? I had one put in my 13' and it works fine. There are different instructions and pictures on this site that describe the install of a window AC.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by qubeb View Post
The service tech said that an extra support was probably not install with out an A/C order.
Bill
If I were attempting this, I'd get the details of what Scamp does to reinforce the roof if A/C prep is preordered and then attempt to duplicate that.

There may even be some sort of "reinforcing" panel available for the purpose.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #8

Arkansas
a/c

Hi Thanks for the ideas.. I have looked where I could put a wall a/c but with my deluxe wood interior wall space is limited. We could use one of the rear side windows however, my wife is nixing this idea..she loves all the light possible. Scamp installs another layer of fiberglass sheet 3 feet by 6 feet.

Thanks for the ideas
Bill
Old 03-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

Registry
Presumably that six foot sheet goes across the trailer, spreading the load.

I remembered seeing some aluminum supports someone installed, this due to general sag of a Boler roof. Doesn't look half bad, in my opinion. I think something along these same lines but perhaps stouter or doubled in number might work for support for your rooftop a/c. Took me awhile to find, but here's a picture:

There's another pic along with a description of the work in the thread I found that one in.
See post # 88 at this link
Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #10

S-13 A/C Roof prep.

I had this picture of a S-13 A/C roof support prior to the liner inst. Looking from rear to front of the trailer. Note the door on right of the picture. My fiberglass guy would suggest a couple layers of biaxial mat. You can open the rat fur at the seams and gain access to the area without too much of a hassle. You would have to come up with a support to hold the mat in place until the resin set.
The picture of the aluminum braces look like a good option. I had an older Scamp that had a piece 3/4 plywood through bolted to the ceiling and that was the A/C support. Not pretty but it never leaked in 7 years.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
685.JPG  
Old 03-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Hi Thanks for the ideas.. I have looked where I could put a wall a/c but with my deluxe wood interior wall space is limited. We could use one of the rear side windows however, my wife is nixing this idea..she loves all the light possible. Scamp installs another layer of fiberglass sheet 3 feet by 6 feet.

Thanks for the ideas
Bill
Scamp before going to the roof use to put the ac in the very bottom of the closet to your left as you came in the door. If i am not mistaken you have a cabinet there now all be it not full height... is there room for all small AC in that cabinet area? Might need to get all little wood work done to make it all look good though. It would also take cutting a hole in the fiberglass shell by the door though and installing the vents - which is what Scamp used to do. If you goggle this site you will actually find photos of what others have done to recreate Scamps old ways of installing AC in that location.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is from the FAQs on the Scamp web page:
Q. Can roof air conditioners be added to older Scamp trailers?

A. All 5th wheel Scamps can use roof air conditioners. Older 5th wheels may require the oak reinforcement supports (can be purchased from the Scamp parts department). On most 16 foot Scamps from the year 2000 the roof has been supported for the roof air. On 16 foot Scamps prior to this year most didn't have the roof air support. To check for support find the 120 volt wire tucked behind the fabric strip. This wire will be on the same side of the trailer as the 120 panel with the circuit breakers. Any trailers with the wire and support in the roof can have the roof air added. Thirteen foot Scamp trailers don't have the roof air support unless there is already a roof air installed or if the original buyer requested that the trailer be built that way. Also most trailers with a power vent in the roof air spot won't have supported roofs. Most 16 and 13 foot trailers prior to 2000 used a side air conditioner in the lower part of the closet by the door. This air conditioner is no longer available.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:56 AM   #13

Arkansas
a/c

Hi All:
I'm pleased with all the ideas and help with this problem. Thank you Francesca and Eddie for the photos of interior support ideas. I am pretty handy with metal for I have a metal shop where I do custom utilitarian and artistic work. Since I do have a powered vent in the a/c space there probably is not support, even though my Scamp is a 2000.
Thanks Donna for that info from Scamp on a/c units. My unit has bunks in the front not a closet, also the storage area under the cushion next to the door has been commandeered for my inside battery box.
I cut a hole in the floor and lowered a metal pan down 5" inches to fit a size I 27 plastic box. I then cut a vent in the floor and a side vent high up for air circulation. I also seal the box and ran a small vent hose from this to another outside vent. I am using an AGM type battery so it should be safe. I did the battery change so I could install dual LP tanks next to trailer body and add a metal storage box in the front next to the jack. I was forced to remove the sewer tube holder from the front to gain enough room and add a 5 foot storage holder under the frame in the rear.
OF course this involved me having to replace the wood on the bench to make a third hatch access to this sealed battery area. I
I also replaced my Magnitec converter with a Power Max Boondocker 35 amp to help battery charging. I wired in a sealed Accessory plug on the outside by the door to plug my suitcase solar charger in when camping.
I have been spending lots of time on this unit. I need to get everything done soon so my wife and I can go camping. Thanks
Bill
Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #14

Arkansas
A/C again

Hi All: Let me ask a question.

How often is an ac needed or used by most of you? Is it an extra that I might use because it is there, but most of the time not needed even in warm climate camping. Will the power vent make the unit livable in a short time after a summer days warming? I am just wondering if I need to go through this ordeal. I know it would help a resale if I ever decided to upgrade. Just curious to hear your opinions.

Thanks Bill
Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #15

Registry
I think it depends on your camping style and perhaps your climate- A/C must be pretty nice to have if in RV parks, parked on asphalt pads and in real hot weather. And some climates can be unbearably hot at night, or so I hear.

I mostly remotecamp, and spend very little time actually inside the trailer. I rarely have shorepower and dislike the noise/trouble of generators so A/C is out for me. And even in the "desert" areas of the Pacific Northwest, things cool off at night.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #16

Registry
Bill, as Francesca suggests it pretty well comes down to where and the time of year you camp. My trailer came with a portable window ac that I carried with me for the first couple of years when heading into areas where it can get into the 100's. I installed a Fantastic Fan and I haven't taken the AC with me since. Here on the west coast there are only really a few weeks in the year when the AC would be nice but the FF does a good enough job of cooling the trailer down at night for me. Have camped in Arizona and Nevada where the temps have gotten into the low 100's but again the FF did good enough for me to cool the trailer down at night. As I also camp often without power the FF is more energy efficient for me. Now if I was camping in the dead of summer and faced temps of over 100 all the time I think I would like an AC.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:08 AM   #17

Arkansas
I will give it a go without ac. We can handle some heat fine and our fan works good. Thanks for your words. We are planning at the end of this month to Silver City New Mexico. Our first in the egg.
Bill
Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #18

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Just a suggestion...
And if I was you..
If you decide to get an AC, pick one out that can run with a single Honda 2000 gen.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #19

Registry
Quote:
I will give it a go without ac. We can handle some heat fine and our fan works good. Thanks for your words. We are planning at the end of this month to Silver City New Mexico. Our first in the egg.
Bill
If you have a solar system of a reasonable size - say 30 watts or more, it should have no problems keeping up with the power usage of the Fan assuming its a newer fairly efficient 12v fan.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:24 PM   #20

Bill
Since you have slide side windows I would get the smoke colored plastic window covers so the windows can be opened during rain. Also invest in a vent cover for your fantastic fan. These are needed for ventilation while it is raining with no A/C.
Eddie
http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...rs&Ntk=primary
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-white/58894