Air condithoner with out cuting holes! - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Air condithoner with out cuting holes!

I just now finished modifying my 6000 btu window air conditioner to cool my camper. I cut a peace of 1/4" plywood to fit in the open window. In that I installed 2 dryer vent exhaust thing's. I then built a box out of the same 1/4' plywood attached 2. 4" by 10x4 galvanized heat run ducts with a foam gasket in between the two to keep the cold and the return air separate. Hooked it all up for the first test. It's 98 out right now with my u-haul ct in the sun. Only time will tell!
Attached Thumbnails
ct air 3.JPG   ct air 4.JPG  

ct air.JPG   ct air2.JPG  

Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #2

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Very creative. You may need to add extra fans to overcome all the flow restriction from the corrugated tubing.

110V / 115V / 120 V AC Cooling Fan. 172mm x 150mm | eBay

Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Very creative. You may need to add extra fans to overcome all the flow restriction from the correlated tubing.

110V / 115V / 120 V AC Cooling Fan. 172mm x 150mm | eBay
That is what I thought I might have to do. I had to try it out first. They have nice duct fans at lows that will work great.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Nice idea! If you a small-wheeled utility cart, you can roll the AC back and forth from where you will have it stored while traveling. We have a small cart like this to haul our external water tank when camping without city water hookups.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #5

New York
Registry
OK here are the first results.
From 98 inside down to 78 in 45 minutes. I think with the addition of a ducting fan (like Tomas suggested) on the cold air side to boost the air flow going in to the camper it will cool down much more efficiently.
The air flow coming in to the trailer is greatly reduced do to 4" pipe. I think with the addition of a fan I will get the performance I am looking for. Tomorrow I am going to try installing a fan at the air conditioner, if that does not give me enough air flow I will move it up to the trailer window. I don't think I will need one on the return air. Wish me luck!
If you want to through any ideas my way feel free to. 400 heads are always better than one.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #6

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
If you could use a smooth walled tube with minimal bends it will greatly help air flow with or without a fan. Maybe 4" PVC with 45* bends rather than 90* elbows?

Also, you could set the AC unit on a pedestal made from 1" PVC pipe to shorten and straighten the hoses.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
That just seems like a really cumbersome setup to me. Why not just install in the rear window?
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
If the side expanders that seal to a window frame and top lip that hold it in a window will come off the AC unit that would make moving it easier I would think.

People who do dog agility sometimes take those wood frame moving dollies, drill a couple of holes and tie on a rope pull handle to haul equipment around with. Or they sell metal handles for them.

Nice thing about these is they are pretty flat for storage and transport.
Here are some examples Dollies

Or you seem handy I'm betting you could use some of these bigger wheels and make your own that would go over rough terrain better.
Swivel Casters and Caster Wheels at Harbor Freight

I have one of those hand trucks that convert to cart, they are pretty compact with the handle dropped down. Would probably fit right on AC unit and would be easier to move over dirt. I used to use it to move my window AC into and out of seasonal storage.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
That just seems like a really cumbersome setup to me. Why not just install in the rear window?
I also want to us it in my tear. That is one reason the other is my back window does not open.
The box on the front just slips on and off real easy and it and the window part pack together real nice.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If the side expanders that seal to a window frame and top lip that hold it in a window will come off the AC unit that would make moving it easier I would think.

People who do dog agility sometimes take those wood frame moving dollies, drill a couple of holes and tie on a rope pull handle to haul equipment around with. Or they sell metal handles for them.

Nice thing about these is they are pretty flat for storage and transport.
Here are some examples Dollies

Or you seem handy I'm betting you could use some of these bigger wheels and make your own that would go over rough terrain better.
Swivel Casters and Caster Wheels at Harbor Freight

I have one of those hand trucks that convert to cart, they are pretty compact with the handle dropped down. Would probably fit right on AC unit and would be easier to move over dirt. I used to use it to move my window AC into and out of seasonal storage.
This one goes in my shop window when I am not camping so I don't want to modify it. If it works out good I might buy a new one for the shop and then add a handle and maybe a cart It only weighs 20 lbs so it's not that hard to move but a handle on top at the balance spot would be great! Good idea! Then I could just pick it up with one hand.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
This one goes in my shop window when I am not camping so I don't want to modify it. If it works out good I might buy a new one for the shop and then add a handle and maybe a cart It only weighs 20 lbs so it's not that hard to move but a handle on top at the balance spot would be great! Good idea! Then I could just pick it up with one hand.
20 lbs is not bad at all, our old window unit was a beast.
Your solution is really slick. Getting AC for your camper, shop and maybe teardrop out of one unit. I often struggle to justify spending money on "extras" for the camper when the same funds applied to house and home will get more use.

Your getting a lot of use out of one unit, and when you think about it if your in the shop your not in the camper, if your in the camper your not in the shop, no conflict. Even if your in the camper in the shop to work on it your still cool.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #12

New York
Registry
Well guys I am stuck at work out of town for the next 5 days so I will not get to try the booster fan until hopefully next week.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #13

New York
Registry
I'm still stuck out of town working! So I can not finish this project this week either. Maybe I will get back at it before the end of the summer.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:54 PM   #14

New York
Registry
I'm back. I have to get parts. As soon as I find a fan that will work I will finish this build.