Air Conditioning a 13 ft Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: 13ft Scamp sold looking now for something larger
Texas
Air Conditioning a 13 ft Scamp

After lots of soul searching, I finally settled on putting a 5000 BTU Fridgidare window air unit in the back window of my Scamp. Other options would have made too major modifications. Here are some photos of current status, first cut a hole in the back plexiglass window, then make a mount. More as I progress.[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
DonFromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #2

Texas
And finally mounted. It was a hot day, the camper was roasting. That 5000 btu has the capability to cool it far below comfort level.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Nice job, how about inside pics?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Seems like the last place I'd want weight on my Scamp when towing. High and on the back. The only time I've felt any unplanned, unwanted trailer movement while towing was when I had too much cargo in the back of the trailer? Do you have an ample tow vehicle or do you move the AC unit inside the trailer or TV while towing?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Seems like the last place I'd want weight on my Scamp when towing. High and on the back. The only time I've felt any unplanned, unwanted trailer movement while towing was when I had too much cargo in the back of the trailer? Do you have an ample tow vehicle or do you move the AC unit inside the trailer or TV while towing?
I'm guessing you don't know that the A/C in question weighs only 35#, which is less than one of his two full propane tanks, or less than 5gal of fresh water.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm guessing you don't know that the A/C in question weighs only 35#, which is less than one of his two full propane tanks, or less than 5gal of fresh water.
Nope, I'm well aware what AC units weigh. The 5000BTU unit I'm considering is 36lbs. For reference, I do not plan on towing with water in my tank or in my hot water heater and they are closer to the axle and much lower. I believe my hot water heater is 35lbs empty, not that much, but I'm glad it's right behind a wheel and not hanging off the back of my trailer.

But that's me, I have a tiny tow vehicle, that's why I'm asking if it's towed with the AC in place of it it's moved while towing. With a heavy TV it may not be an issue at all. If it works in this instance, great. I'm just wondering if that would work for me or not.

I'm thinking the closet, above the wheel, but that's not a trivial install.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #7

Texas
I too think the weight addition is a negligible factor, towing will tell. Weight is far less than the roof air people hang on all the time. I am prepared to make redistribution if necessary. I still have to finish it up, but here is the inside photo someone requested.
There is NO movement up and down, very solid mount, but there is some forward/backward action that may be a problem. I am considering a reinforcement board on the inside to spread the loads from the current narrow load point. It sure cools it down in a hurry (92 and sunny today here) and is definitely more AC than is actually needed, but I don't think they make a 2500 btu job this cheap ($90 at Lowes with my military discount)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #8

Texas
I leave the ac alone, permanent mount. I have plenty of tow vehicle, a Honda Fit with trailer tow package installed
[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Old 05-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #9

Texas
The closet above the wheel was my definite first choice. Then it got delivered and I found that if you have the full size bed, no AC can be put in the closet on these little 13 footers. If you have the small bed however, I would recommend highly that you install it there.
I made a few laps around town with it on the Honda Fit, I can tell NO difference in handling. Water tank is full too, as is the propane tank. They were all empty in previous test runs. It sure will get up to 80 mph in a hurry and handles swell there..

!
Quote:
Nope, I'm well aware what AC units weigh. The 5000BTU unit I'm considering is 36lbs. For reference, I do not plan on towing with water in my tank or in my hot water heater and they are closer to the axle and much lower. I believe my hot water heater is 35lbs empty, not that much, but I'm glad it's right behind a wheel and not hanging off the back of my trailer.

But that's me, I have a tiny tow vehicle, that's why I'm asking if it's towed with the AC in place of it it's moved while towing. With a heavy TV it may not be an issue at all. If it works in this instance, great. I'm just wondering if that would work for me or not.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #10

British Columbia
Indeed the roof units are heavier. But I'm not planning on towing a Scamp with a roof unit either. Again, this is more trying to be safe with a small TV, not a concern for most people.

Interesting you say a smaller BTU rating would be enough I've found a tiny 3000 BTU unit, but it's made for industrial cooling and while I have not found any published prices I expect it to be many times the price of a cheap household unit. I was planning to post a thread about that anyway, so I've gone and posted that and I'll link to it here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post310921
Old 05-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonFromTexas View Post
The closet above the wheel was my definite first choice. Then it got delivered and I found that if you have the full size bed, no AC can be put in the closet on these little 13 footers. If you have the small bed however, I would recommend highly that you install it there.
I made a few laps around town with it on the Honda Fit, I can tell NO difference in handling. Water tank is full too, as is the propane tank. They were all empty in previous test runs. It sure will get up to 80 mph in a hurry and handles swell there..

!
!!!! A fit!!! That's awesome, I have some cousins with a fit who'll be very excited to see that. I told them I doubted a fit would have the power and brakes to tow well. They seemed a bit disappointed. Have you weighed your rig? At the wheels and the tongue? Do you have brakes?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #12

British Columbia
Also, do you have a link to your tow package? Is it more than just a well reinforced receiver? Does it have a stabilizer etc?

Sorry if this is off topic, perhaps I should have PMed?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #13

Texas
Pretty pricey at $1782.00 at this place: http://www.enclosurehub.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?
The Honda Fit uses the same engine that is used in Formula F racing, and on the outboard engine, I also am using on in my airplane, look at it here: MyKitLog
I have a Tekonsha prodigy brake unit, the "tow package" was a tongue in cheek comment, nothing except brakes and a trailer hitch.
In reality, I will probably tow it more with a Kia Optima, little more hp and weight.

user=DonFromTX&project=1903idproduct=8270
Quote:
Indeed the roof units are heavier. But I'm not planning on towing a Scamp with a roof unit either. Again, this is more trying to be safe with a small TV, not a concern for most people.

Interesting you say a smaller BTU rating would be enough I've found a tiny 3000 BTU unit, but it's made for industrial cooling and while I have not found any published prices I expect it to be many times the price of a cheap household unit. I was planning to post a thread about that anyway, so I've gone and posted that and I'll link to it here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post310921
Old 05-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #14

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
Quote:

I put a window mount a/c under the closet of my 82 Scamp.Not permanent...only as a test.It fit like a glove.All I would have to do is cut an opening for a vent,and figure out a way to get the condensation out (a drip tube running out behind the wheel well)But since I'm up in the Northwoods,I figured ,how often will I need this,and how often when I do will I have electric hookup?Plus...putting it on the passenger side puts it on what's called the low side of the highway
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
I didn't realize there were multiple bed sizes in the 13'ers. My closet is about 20" across, the bed is about 44" wide. Do I have the full sized bed/small closet?

I know the window AC will be a tight fit and will require a lot of custom ducting and draining to work in the closet.

I am curious if I could take the guts out of the metal case and engineer my own frame for it and custom air flow, perhaps even save a few pounds.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Pretty pricey at $1782.00 at this place: http://www.enclosurehub.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?
The Honda Fit uses the same engine that is used in Formula F racing, and on the outboard engine, I also am using on in my airplane, look at it here: MyKitLog
I have a Tekonsha prodigy brake unit, the "tow package" was a tongue in cheek comment, nothing except brakes and a trailer hitch.
In reality, I will probably tow it more with a Kia Optima, little more hp and weight.

user=DonFromTX&project=1903idproduct=8270
That first link doesn't work for me? Does that enclosure shop sell hitches?

I know that Honda makes great engines and they have made everything from F1 motors to outboards. I have a 90 Civic Si and I love to rev that thing, it pulls well for a 22 year old car! But the Fit engine is still only rated about 110 hp and 110 ft/lbs, and that seemed a bit meager. I have about 200hp in my Miata and while that's more than I'll use towing, it's nice know the power is the there and the turbo ensures that power is still there even at 7000ft+.

But if you're making it work, that's fantastic. Good to know it can be done.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampBum View Post
I put a window mount a/c under the closet of my 82 Scamp.Not permanent...only as a test.It fit like a glove.All I would have to do is cut an opening for a vent,and figure out a way to get the condensation out (a drip tube running out behind the wheel well)But since I'm up in the Northwoods,I figured ,how often will I need this,and how often when I do will I have electric hookup?Plus...putting it on the passenger side puts it on what's called the low side of the highway
Yep, fitting it in the closet is not the hard part. Getting enough flow in the right places for efficient, quiet cooling is. Not to mention reliable draining, so you don't end up with mold and/or a rotted floor.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #18

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
Mark Z, a member here, did a top-notch closet install of a small AC unit - you might be able to find a thread about it.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
I didn't realize there were multiple bed sizes in the 13'ers. My closet is about 20" across, the bed is about 44" wide. Do I have the full sized bed/small closet?

I know the window AC will be a tight fit and will require a lot of custom ducting and draining to work in the closet.

I am curious if I could take the guts out of the metal case and engineer my own frame for it and custom air flow, perhaps even save a few pounds.
the Scamp standard has a 44" wide bed.
The Custom Deluxe (wood interior) can be ordered with a 54" wide bed and almost always is.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #20

Registry
This A/C worked great for us on this 1973 LoveBug 13. The higher you mount them the better they work.

Also here is another mount on the "Shelly" Scamp which did well too, these are among several approaches we have made...
Attached Thumbnails
06_30_3.jpg   June 2009 006.jpg  

Tags
scamp