Allure flooring. Install <65 degrees F? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #21

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Finished the floor today. Forgot to take pictures...

I'm handy in the plumbing, mechanical, yard work type areas but inept at fine measurements and carpentry type projects.....lack of patience I think.

Biggest challenge--under the table! Nothing measures square and the curve at the back called for a creative piece of floor. I didn't consider taking out the bench seats but if you are a little handier than me and/or have time, I would recommend removing them then doing the floor....an entire inch different in width over 44 inches of length.

Anyway....other things I learned----keeping in mind my skill level----oh, and I didn't read the full directions ;-)----score the top of the floor and bend to finish the cut. Cutting from the bottom or trying to cut THROUGH the floor is harder (maybe that's intuitive but it wasn't to me);

time will tell on if this matters, but I did not end up with joints which were debris-free. Seems I picked up every piece of dust and shred of grass that I could....joints stuck fine and seemed to hold well.

Other than these few things, I liked how easy it we to install. I've done wood laminate in a living room and found it easier, but I think that's really more a matter of having more space----guess my other challenge was it being so tight and staggering the joints.

Bottom line. I like how it turned out and would use it again. I also bought the lowest priced option even though it wasn't the color I wanted---no regrets there either NW that it's in. I used the Cherry color.
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #22

Wisconsin
Yikes. I read my post. Pardon all the typos 😜
Old 05-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #23

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Tonia, I'm putting in this floor today. I'm opting to trim it with something like this:

Home Legend Elm Walnut 3/4 in. Thick x 3/4 in. Length x 94 in. Length Hardwood Quarter Round Moulding-HL60QR at The Home Depot

I think it'll make the install a little easier as I get close to the edges. I also went with the rosewood option; are you going to post pics of yours?

Scott
scottkolmankeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #24

Wisconsin
I still need to install trim. Haven't gotten to the store for that yet....and I'm taking it Friday to camp so it will need to be unfinished :-)

I had planned to post pics but had to leave it at my parents house, where it's stored, since I couldn't get the lights working before I left....appears to be a problem with the Jeep's fuses or ground.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #25

Wisconsin
Scott. Did the trim work for you? Floor is done but trim is not. What did you end up using at the rise in the floor at the table? Right now I have it covered in tape to keep the dirt out ;-). Really pretty.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #26

Wisconsin
Here's the flooring....Not a great pic with the throw rugs down but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Just need to trim it out. But it's done enough for me to camp in for now....which is my priority =)

Since the pic I've painted the frig door red and have started a backsplash (3"x6" metal tiles). All progressing around my camping schedule (oh, and this thing we call a job).

I'm trying to decide on cabinet door colors -- thinking black in semigloss paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5502[1].jpg
Views:	78
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	59775

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5504[1].jpg
Views:	74
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	59776
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM   #27

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Looks really good Tonia! I will be doing mine this Saturday. Can I ask why you put yours from side to side and not front to back? I see Jim did both.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #28

Wisconsin
Thanks! I'm glad fr the change. The carpet was terrible!

As far as layout, I started under the table, which is less in width than the full length of a plank. So this seemed logical route. The back end under the able is also sort of curved and the ensolite covers an electrical wire there. So I started with a straight line parallel to the "step" up as my starting point. This line is also exactly a distance from the step that allows for using full width planks (6" wide each). The last piece I put in was the one in the rear. Since this floor is flexible I curved it up the wall over the ensolite. It's not perfect but an improvement from how the carpet sat in that spot. I haven't checked, but I'm hoping the adhesive edges stayed intact being sort of bent.

On the main area, I didn't really have a preference on direction. What I did was measure every direction and decide based on 6"x36" planks how it would layout best.....least amount of cuts the long way and most forgiving layout for hiding my lack of experience. So I figured under the cabinets would be the least visible area in case my ends weren't all cut exactly the same. The lower area was sooooo much easier. The dimensions were more consistent and corners were square. The fronts of the table benches were kind of wavy....over an inch difference across the length. So was expecting battle that.

Also, At the door, the trim piece (the metal one that wraps underneath) ended up being flush with the top of the floor so I could butt the floor right up to it and it looks like it was intended to be there. I was also able to use 4 full width pieces at the door....easier...less cutting.

I have to say, I thought about how to lay it out for way longer than I figured....but worth it.

So in a nutshell. I picked the direction that was easiest as far as cutting.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
At the door, the trim piece (the metal one that wraps underneath) ended up being flush with the top of the floor so I could butt the floor right up to it and it looks like it was intended to be there.
Great idea Tonia!
When I installed a glue down commerical vinyl strip in the boler American the metal trim piece didn't like the extra thickness so it rotated outwards and pulled the last strip with it, creating a gap. I've been trying to figure out how the spread the metal evenly, now I don't have to. It's going to be an easy fix now!

For anybody planning on laying a vinyl strip floor that overlaps with self glued edges like Allure. It is very helpful to make strips from the waxed paper that separates the strips in packing and set them into the pre glued edges while you cut and test fit each piece. Not only does it make things easier to handle it keeps stuff from sticking to the adhesive. You quickly learn how to pull the wax paper out while sticking the strips together.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #30

Name: Willis
Trailer: Beachcomber B15
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Registry
I put my allure in yesterday, started the job at 1 pm. The first couple pieces were the tricky ones, after that, It went down really quickly. The job was complete at 4:30, Exactly 3.5 hours and 4 beer (it was warm out) It took two and a half boxes to complete the job.
Attached Thumbnails
image (1).jpg   image (2).jpg  

photo.jpg  
willisworms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #31

Wisconsin
I bought 1/4 round trim for my flooring and decided not to use it. I used brown caulk instead.

First, the edge I butted up to the door piece I mentioned above now has a small gap. So I put a small bead there.

My screen door (home made by the po) would not allow for trim just left and right of the exterior door.

I left the carpet in the area between the front bunk seats. So there was a gap there that won't allow trim due to the door at the space.

The brown color seemed to match the flooring well and looks discreet so far so I'm holding off to see how it dries and will decide if I'll use any of the trim.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:12 AM   #32

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonia View Post
I bought 1/4 round trim for my flooring and decided not to use it. I used brown caulk instead.

First, the edge I butted up to the door piece I mentioned above now has a small gap. So I put a small bead there.

My screen door (home made by the po) would not allow for trim just left and right of the exterior door.

I left the carpet in the area between the front bunk seats. So there was a gap there that won't allow trim due to the door at the space.

The brown color seemed to match the flooring well and looks discreet so far so I'm holding off to see how it dries and will decide if I'll use any of the trim.
Pictures?
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote