Altering Sheets to fit 13' Scamp Bunks? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2015, 10:25 PM   #21

Name: Sue
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions over the past couple of days. I finished up tonight and all 3 beds now have bedding that fits! For the "full" I ended up just using twin jersey sheets that fit like a glove, a twin quilt, and a cutting down a thin mattress pad from IKEA. For the bunks, I got the same jersey sheets in full, and cut the top and bottom sheets exactly in half. Then just ran a row of elastic on the new edge of the fitted sheet. They fit perfect! Did the same thing for mattress pads for the bunks, but cut them to the correct shape as I trimmed. They are held in place on the back side by the snug fitted sheet I ended up with. Just regular twin quilts on the bunks as well, but they are folded in half. Thanks again for the suggestions! Hope this thread can help someone else in the future!
suzuz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:53 AM   #22

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Sounds as if you have found the perfect bedding solution for yourselves.
Here's a tip, if you choose to use it. Fold over your comforters and install a "separating" zipper along the one long side and one short bottom resulting in a "sleeping bag" that can be used open or zipped up. In colder conditions you will appreciate having a closed "sleeping sack".

Many sewing stores (or online) sell "zippers by the yard". While installing a zipper might sound intimidating it is pretty easy if you pin and baste the zipper in place before sewing it with a zipper foot. There are lots of tutorials online. If you prefer not to sew the zipper yourself or if you don't know of anyone who sews zippers you could hire the person who does alterations at your dry cleaners.

More bedding/decor tips: Your bed pillows can serve as decorative pillows too, thereby saving space. My favorite is to make covers for 16" pillows out of cotton novelty fabric (of course my curtain panels match this fabric). I install a zipper opening so the covers can easily be "changed out" and/or washed. You could also keep the pillowcase empty and stuff it with a jacket or clothing thereby further saving space.

To keep the cushions of my bunk clean, when in the sofa configuration, I cover them with fleece (or other decorative) blankets. When we need more layers of bedding we simply layer the fleece blankets on the bedding. I even lay a decorative fleece on top of my "double" bed during the day (when we don't set up the dinette) to act as a bedspread.

See attached Southwest theme photo.

Happy Trails to You!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 009.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:13 PM   #23

Name: Wendy
Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17’
California
Lucky girl to have an awesome dad.
SactoWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #24
GRF

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita--Independence Standard
Missouri
Simple slipcover/sheet for bunk

I needed a good looking sheet that I could wash for the dog's bunk bed.
This is what I came up with and it looks and works great:

https://zenandtheartoflittlehousetra...e-slip-covers/
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'm not sure of the width of the Scamp 13 bunk is, but a sheet size I've found useful for my 48" wide bed is 3/4 size. You will probably have to order them on line - I've never seen them in a store. I purchased these from Amazon.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #26

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Sheet Straps!

Try some sheet straps (garters). They can be placed to make a sheet fit and will hold an ill fitting sheet in place. Bed Bath and Beyond has them so search for sheet straps.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #27
GRF

Name: Gary
Trailer: Casita--Independence Standard
Missouri
Sheets

I made my own sheet garters not knowing there were others out there. Great name. I'll look that up. Making them was the easier part of this system.

Thanks for the info!
GRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:20 PM   #28

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Cut a flat, unfitted mattress pad down to size and sew ready made seam binding around the edges. Reuse the old corner elastic on the newly resized corners. No one is going to pull the sheets up to inspect your stitching.

Just remember sewing a sheet is also really very easy. To make the sheet smaller you make a cut at the bottom edge of the sheet at the size you want and start tearing. Fabrics tear in a straight line along the weave. You will only have two sides to modify You will need to cut the folded over head of the sheet part in line with the torn edge. As far as turning the edges of the sheet under for that narrow hemmed edge that is pretty easy too as they make a rolled hem presser foot that does that work for you. One of those might even have come with your sewing machine. Here is a tutorial about it. Flawless Finish: How to Use a Rolled Hem Presser Foot

If you want a corner on a bottom sheet that is gathered.... Use a plate as a template for the curve and draw the line on, cut and be sure to hem it with your rolled hem edge foot right along with the rest of the sheet's modified edges. Then stretch out tight some elastic along the curved line. Pin the elastic in place every few inches and stretch it back out flat tugging on it while you sew. Sew the elastic on using a zig zag stitch.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
My bedroom doesn't have condensation in the morning but the egg does.
condensation happens when moist air hits a surface that is at dew point temperature.

To prevent condensation under your mattress put a piece of Reflectix under it. That will reflect the body heat (and moisture) and the warm moist air then won't condense on the cold surface under the mattress. You will sleep warmer on cold nights. Obviously not needed when the temperature does not get as low as the dew point.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp