Alternative to spray adhesive for installing fabric? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Alternative to spray adhesive for installing fabric?

We're almost ready to start putting marine headliner on the walls and ceiling of our 16 ft. Scamp shell, and I know that most people use the 3M spray adhesive (two coats on the wall, two coats on the fabric). Long story, but is there any type of paintable or spreadable adhesive that would work? We'd like to avoid using a spray adhesive if we can.
artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 12:42 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Contact adhesive like is used for installing Formica etc.
Two kinds flammable and non-flammable
The dangerous stuff usually works better, but harder to find and and use.
Be sure you have the material where you want it when it touches, you will not reposition it later!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'm no fan of the 3M adhesive simply because there better commercial products available.

If you go to a Automotive Upholstery Supply and ask them what they recommend for Headliners you will get a spray that only takes one coat on each side and will stay in place.

I can suggest that you contact J&J Auto Fabrics in Rialto, CA and ask them if they have anything brushable and/or what they are currently suggesting for hanging headliners. They have a website at jjautofabrics.com and will ship .

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #4

Virginia
Thanks for the replies. I'll check with the auto place locally that replaces headliners to see what they'd recommend.

I'm not too worried about smaller pieces, but as I look at the back window and the area around it (to the floor) that I need to cover, I know I'd need to cover the window with something to avoid getting spray on it. I just feel I'd have more control with something that I could paint on, if such a thing is available....
Old 05-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Why not just take the window out and then reseal it when it goes back in???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I would SO like to avoid that! We just took out and resealed a leaking window last weekend. We haven't had any rain to see if it will stay dry now, but the others are good--don't want to mess with them!

I talked with a woman a while back who put up the same material that we'll be using, and she said when she got to the windows she just folded the fabric under bit and butted it up next to the window frame. I think that will work for us, too.

(Edited to add that I *might* consider loosening the frame just a little to tuck the fabric behind it, but I really don't want to put up the fabric with the windows out.)
Old 05-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #7

Virginia
We actually just jumped in and used the spray. First large piece is up and seems to be sticking well. I brought it up to the window frame (not under it), didn't fold it, but used a putty knife to push it into place.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
You could just pull the internal part of the window and the seal should hold the window in place, just don't push too hard.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
You could just pull the internal part of the window and the seal should hold the window in place, just don't push too hard.
Your correct on the above if one just unscrews the inside frame the outside will most likely stay in place I know when I have redone a window I have had to use a fair amount of force to get the outside ring/window pane to release. I would not be a bad idea though to have someone stand on the outside with their hand on the window to make sure it does not pop off - but if it were to come off thats a good indication they need resealing and some butyl tape added.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #10

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Or just cover the window with some paper and masking tape.
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote