Alternatives to painting Fiberglass - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
A car wrap, from an existing format file, will cost several $1000 applied. Doing one for a multi compound curved surface would be uber expensive, at least when compared to a paint job.

But Wait.... Maybe one could get someone interested in doing an ad wrap on an FGRV, maybe a company like ......? Well there must be someone....LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #16
Name: Fay
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hi folks I went through many options last year I had my boler painted then decided to do a tartan wrap it turned out awesome but yes expensive two grand but well worth it. I have also used plasti dip but only on the roof vent and it is a great product that will move with your trailer it solved the leak problem that all other products failed at and trust me when I say all other products. Back to my wrap I decided to order some carbon fibre and do all the seats and cupboards myself I have to say it turned out great but not without a whole new verbiage added it was easy on the straight flat areas on the curves it was like, remember the sticky fly paper things that hung from the cottage ceiling well like that but an adventure none the less. So you stick it on and use a heat gun to mold and stretch. My boler is all Celtic and being from Cape Breton Island we have to represent lol. I would attempt a paint job my self someday I think the trick would be to go with a theme to hide any mistakes or imperfections. Just my thoughts but there is no one right way. Happy camping. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV

Fay Wambolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 PM   #17
Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Your camper sounds very interesting !! You should post a pic

Mines kinda ugly lol she's a bare shell pretty much atm
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #18
Name: Fay
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Hey I am not at home this week and am working from my iPad so as soon as I'm back I will post some pics

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Fay Wambolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
I threw different ideas around as well but opted for Interlux Topside. I used the roll and tip method and the finish is fantastic...looks sprayed on. It's relatively easy as well, I did a coat top and bottom in about 3 hours. Here's a before and after with just one coat of blue glo white and sapphire blue applied.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150602_165528.jpg   IMG_20150604_201022.jpg  

Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #20
Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Fay, do you see any negatives to the wrap? How long is it expected to "live"?

monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #21
Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I like Interlux Perfection for paint. It goes on in thin coats, so the surface needs to be prepared perfectly. It is not all that difficult to apply with a roll and tip method. I am getting ready to repaint my boat after some storm
Damage. I used this last time, this time will be much easier as the surface is repaired and in nice condition.

Wraps on boats are popular in Europe. They compare favorably with painting and can be repaired easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:50 AM   #22
Name: Arne
Trailer: Boler 1975
Does anyone know if Interlux Topside paint has a distributor in Canada. This sounds like a product I would be interested in finishing my Boler with.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
ArneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #23
Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
I saw a fiberglass dune buggy painted with Zolatone. The owner said the paint job was over 10 years old. He said zero maintenance and very durable. Also very easy to apply. Has anybody used Zolatone on an FGRV?

Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote