Aluminum Door Frame Extrusion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Aluminum Door Frame Extrusion

So I need to rebuild my Ventura door because it's rotten through and through. The issue is that I'm missing one piece of the aluminum extrusion that trims the door slab and holds the weather stripping. Does anyone anywhere have any idea if/where I can source such a trim?

I've attached a profile shot of the moulding in question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7944.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	113608
philtripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:57 PM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by philtripp View Post
So I need to rebuild my Ventura door because it's rotten through and through. The issue is that I'm missing one piece of the aluminum extrusion that trims the door slab and holds the weather stripping. Does anyone anywhere have any idea if/where I can source such a trim?

I've attached a profile shot of the moulding in question.

Attachment 113608
:are there any metal shops out in that area you live in where you can take the piece you are holding and have them make one in Reverse to it?? or try a sheet metal shop, those guys can make anything.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:are there any metal shops out in that area you live in where you can take the piece you are holding and have them make one in Reverse to it?? or try a sheet metal shop, those guys can make anything.

Stude

I had that thought, but I'm not sure they'd be able to produce the slots for the weather stripping. I should perhaps call them up.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #4

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
I had that thought, but I'm not sure they'd be able to produce the slots for the weather stripping. I should perhaps call them up.
:It would be better if you showed them the piece maybe let them figure it out, I have had more funny items made at our local Metal shops over the years and never come home empty handed and they all worked in the end. I know I did not have the tools they have to make these weird and wonderful items. You know anyone with a 3D tool to copy what you already have in reverse.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
These folks might help or know who can.
Custom Entry Doors
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:00 PM   #6

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Have you tried some of the RV salvage parts sales places. There are several on the west coast, so maybe there are some closer to you.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #7

Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Have you tried some of the RV salvage parts sales places. There are several on the west coast, so maybe there are some closer to you.

I don't know that rv salvage is something that happens In the prairies. Once it done it get parked in the field or turned into an ice fishing hut LOL
Old 11-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
RV Doctor George - Home

I'm not sure if they can ship to Canada, but worth a try. Send 'em an e mail or come visit the west coast.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #9

Manitoba
I live 10min from the US border so I can easily ship things to a depot and go pick up if needed. Quite handy sometimes!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Phil,

Here's a couple of suppliers. I didn't find a close match in the Loxcreen catalogue, but they have a lot of catalogues. The door frames we looked at in their mobile home / RV catalogue don't have gasket channels.

Industrial extrusion, building products, door bottoms, weatherstrip :: Loxcreen Company, Inc.

http://www.loxcreen.com/client_resou...hrvcatalog.pdf

Ullrich has something closer to what you posted in your picture. It's labeled as a Coolroom extrusion. It has a receiver channel for a gasket. The AUS 6622 (or UA6622) is 53.2 mm = 2.1", which is a bit wide. However, they also have a broad product line.

http://www.ullrich.com.au/extrusions/cool-room

Vintage trailer supply has what they call a Hingeless Baggage Door Frame Extrusion. They offer it in a 46" Length, so I hope you're not too tall.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com...-p/vts-869.htm

Maybe some phone calls or exploring based on these hits might give you some further leads. If you want to call Ullrich, it's just about lunch time Thursday in Brisbane Australia!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:13 AM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You don't need an exact match, you just need something with a profile that fits into the opening for a close match in size.

You also don't need a gasket channel. There are a lot of gaskets which will work very well for you that come with adhesives on the surface that mounts to the frame. You just peel off the protective paper liner layer and stick them in place.

While once in a while you can find an exact match for vintage parts from places such as Vintage Trailer Supply many times you won't be able to find one. But that does not mean you are at a standstill on the project. It just means you need to analyze the shapes in the area you are working, take measurements and find something with the basic overall profile shape. Remember you don't actually need those gasket channels so that makes your search for an extrusion much more likely to return a suitable substitute.

It might also be that you can do some mending on yours to fix a damaged section. There is aluminum soldering and local welding shops will sometimes do that work. Or you can even attempt it yourself. But don't try it on your irreplaceable part until after you practice on some scrap material. See this link for the rods and the repair methods. https://www.alumiweld.com/

You could possibly create a backer piece that you adhere to the original if you are missing some areas. Sheet aluminum is not difficult to obtain. You can anneal it with a torch to soften if needed so that it will form more easily. Just read up on annealing aluminum as the color change and temperature needed is different than for other metals.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Every single time I've called someone about something like this, they'd reply, "I'd have to see it." I believe you'll need to invest the time and go the the fabricator.