Am I the only one who sees a problem here? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 03:17 PM   #1

Name: Candi
Trailer: scamp
Nebraska
Unhappy Am I the only one who sees a problem here?

Attachment 116916Propex heater installed professionally at a RV repair place. Does anyone see a problem with this picture?

Note; the combustible air exhaust is the silver tube that is attached to the wooden underside of my Scamp 13 ft. and the black tube, attached to the frame, is the fresh air inlet.

Wouldn't it make more sense to attach the metal and very HOT tube to the metal frame and the fresh (cold) air intake to the wooden floor? Or, am I splitting hairs?

Sorry, the image is upside down. (Now fixed)

Name:   IMG_0001.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  64.1 KB
Candiwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #2

Nebraska
Perhaps I should have posted in the problem solving thread....can an administrator move it over if needed?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
First thought is that the exhaust gas must be routed to the outside, and not allowed to come up through the floor.

Second thought is that the Propex install manual (which is online last I looked) is very specific on installation requirements so you could get the answer there I think. There are many requirements that must all be met at the same time for a proper install. The requirements were such that even after I studied on it for some time, I could not come up with a good way to put a Propex on my particular camper.

Here is one requirement for the model you might have... are the ends of the pipes far enough apart?

The combustion air pipe can be terminated underneath the vehicle making
sure the end of it is at least 0.5 metres away from the end of the exhaust and that they are not pointing directly at each other.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I doubt the exhaust gets hot enough to ignite the wood, but it would be worth checking the manufacturer's installation manual for an opinion on that.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #5

Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
First I need to get my bearings on the photo..

First thought is that the exhaust gas must be routed to the outside, and not allowed to come up through the floor.

Second thought is that the Propex install manual (which is online last I looked) is very specific on installation requirements so you could get the answer there I think. There are many requirements that must all be met at the same time for a proper install. The requirements were such that even after I studied on it for some time, I could not come up with a good way to put a Propex on my particular camper.
The exhaust goes to the outside of the underside of the scamp from the hole in the floor and directly under the heater. Everything else looked pretty good, except for not caulking around any of the holes in my floor. I wish I had just installed it myself instead of paying so much money for someone else to do it.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiwoods View Post
I wish I had just installed it myself instead of paying so much money for someone else to do it.
Many of us have also come to that conclusion.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #7

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
My concern is Carbon Monixide getting back into the camper.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
The piping looks flexible so you should be able to move it to where you think it's safer.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Fixed the image. A lot easier for an OP to do first though.

I have installed a Propex myself. Quite easy to do.

I would definitely caulk that hole with a fire blocking caulk to seal it up. This was in the instructions I believe.

I screwed the exhaust to the fibreglass underside of the Trillium using metal straps with no issues. I should check to see if the paint is discoloured.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you are worried about it being that close to the wood just put a one inch metal spacer beneath the clamp. That will be a sufficient distance to relieve any potential fire hazard. You can purchase metal spacers of different lengths and diameters in the individual hardware parts bins at any of the regular hardware stores such as Ace, True Value, etc. In airplanes we called them "standoffs", same kind of thing, essentially just a spacer that keeps the object being clamped to it standing away from the surface it was being fastened to.

So... a very easy adjustment costing a very small amount of money and time to do. You will also need to change to a longer faster so get that when you go shopping for the spacer.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #11

Oregon
When you put your fire blocking foam around the holes surrounding the tubes be sure you first put pieces of stainless steel pot scrubber material into the hole and then spray the foam. That pot scrubber material will prevent mice from clawing through the foam and it will also give the foam something to grip into. Easy does it on the foam, remember that it is going to expand. You can get the stainless steel pot scrubbers in grocery stores and in hardware stores.
Click image for larger version

Name:	scotch-brite-pad.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	116923
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #12

Name: Neto
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
K Corbin has a great idea - IFI. They sell rodent reaistat foam. Purchase it and the Stainless steel.
Neto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #13

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
K Corbin has a great idea - IFI. They sell rodent reaistat foam. Purchase it and the Stainless steel.
Huh, bet you wear a belt AND suspenders? Seriously, I had never thought of the stainless scrubbers and did not know about the rodent resistant foam, both great ideas.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:14 PM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neto View Post
Rodent foam sounds interesting but is not appropriate in this particular instance.

As stated in one of the other replies in this case because it is being put around a hot exhaust pipe the installation instructions require the use of fire fire blocking spray foam. Its available at hardware stores. The current building codes for homes and commercial buildings require it to be used at the electrical panel circuit boxes around the holes where wires enter and exit the box. That is why you can find it in hardware stores.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Candiwoods, it is an expensive lesson. Camping 'shops' can't do it as well as yourself.
You can read, so if it comes with instructions, either in your hand or on line, you're all set. You have the ability to follow instructions...I assume you are married ...so that's a go and you can take your time and do it right as you see it !
And if there is ever a mistake made, you'll know specifically who is at fault. lol

As someone else mentioned, we've all come to realize we can do it just as well and usually better!

Mike
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 05:52 PM   #16

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiwoods View Post
Attachment 116916Propex heater installed professionally at a RV repair place. Does anyone see a problem with this picture?

Note; the combustible air exhaust is the silver tube that is attached to the wooden underside of my Scamp 13 ft. and the black tube, attached to the frame, is the fresh air inlet.

Wouldn't it make more sense to attach the metal and very HOT tube to the metal frame and the fresh (cold) air intake to the wooden floor? Or, am I splitting hairs?

Sorry, the image is upside down. (Now fixed)

Attachment 116922
ne thing you had better do is mouse proof the holes as they can get through 3/32nds and have no problem from a 1/4" and on up.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 PM   #17

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
How are you liking the propex heater?

Any interior pictures of the install to share?
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
The exhaust pipe is supposed to be angled downward till it's end to prevent condensation buildup inside the tube and ultimately poor performance of the heater and rust.

It appears the where the tube is reattached to the floor it creates a low point in the tube where water will collect. The tube gets very hot. I wouldn't attach it to wood either.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Huh, bet you wear a belt AND suspenders? Seriously, I had never thought of the stainless scrubbers and did not know about the rodent resistant foam, both great ideas.
At Duluth Trading Company you can get suspenders designed to hook to your belt.
Silver River is offline   Reply With Quote