Amazing what some paint and plastic can do - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Bea
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Registry
Amazing what some paint and plastic can do

Hello, I'm new to this great group.

I'm trying to upload pics of our 2002 Scamp 13 foot camper we bought two weeks ago.

So far here is one pic. It was your basic 13 foot with the plaid looking cushions, and white cabinet doors. We quickly went to work on change all that.

I removed the cabinet doors, painted them a vintage looking Blue putting them back up with vintage cabinet handles

Home Depot plastic faux tin was used on the Icebox door and used as the back splash. I also recovered the cushions and hope to get pics of them uploaded once I am able to shrink them down.

I learned so much on this website and am so happy that your group is out there to reference for any questions that we have!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP2.jpg  
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

Name: John & Sarah
Trailer: '77 Boler - 17'
British Columbia
Looks great. Well done!
Eggbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Florida
Registry
Thank you Eggbert.

Here's the remaining pics of interior.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP3.jpg   SCAMP4.jpg  

SCAMP6.jpg  
Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #4

Name: Sally
Trailer: Scamp 19' Fifth Wheel
Florida
Beautiful!
SallyBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Love the blue and white, great job!
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #6

Name: Elle
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
Ontario
this looks AMAZING!
wolfie the trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Name: RB
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Virginia
Looks great! Where did you get your cabinet handles?
steelypip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:36 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Thanks all - I had fun putting it together. It was a bit crazy with all the rain we've been having here in FL lately.

The cabinet handles came from Ebay - I was searching for vintage hardware.
(I'm a real vintage lover).
I think that's what attracted me to the Scamp shape - reminds me of a mini Airstream. Wish my hubby would let me paint the whole camper silver. Or at least two-toned, white top with blue belly....

You can find lots of great stuff online. Similar cabinet hardware can be found at Home Depot for around $2 or so each...

Going to decorate inside soon.

Right now just worrying about a bit of floor that is rotted because back bumper was smooshed and it's let in the rain and back window collects water on the inside because the drain hole on outside window groove was filthy and clogged so water couldn't drain out correctly.
Under a tarp until we can properly fix those issues... And I'm going to continue searching this site to read all the great suggestions on fixes...

Cheers,
Bea
Old 07-30-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Bea,
Looks like you have a good start on decorating. "Glamping" my 13' Scamp is my delightful hobby. I change "themes" according to my whims. Attached is our fall foliage theme. We just returned from a trip to the wine country in Lodi, California. I'll send photos when I've uploaded them. I hope you have great fun in "glamping" your rig!
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 029.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 031.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 12:01 PM   #10

Florida
Registry
Ooooh very pretty Gilda - you are styling!!
I love that you can change the look according to the seasons.
Gosh, it's so much fun decorating - Glamping as it's called?
Thank you, because I admired your curtains you gave me an inspiration to now work on side curtains along with the white curtains - to make it look nice and homey.

I have hot glued some cubicle pins to the backside of some lightweight vintage wall art that I'm going to hang up soon (once all this Florida rain stops). The Scamp "rat fur" is bugging me a bit, and I feel compelled to decorate the walls to minimize that fuzziness.

I'll have to take pics and post...

Looking forward to seeing more of your decor as the seasons change
Old 08-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #11

California
Registry
Hi Bea,
We just returned from wine country in Lodi, California where we camped in 3 vineyards at the invitation of the owners. We are new members of HarvestHosts.com. There are wineries, farms and attractions across the country who open their grounds for overnight, self-contained RVs for FREE! (a purchase is appreciated).

Attached are my wine country themed decor photos. I found the fabric at JoAnn's, the kitchen towel and mitt at The Dollar Tree (also found framed art, placemats, coasters, and grapes there!), and the grapevine garland at Michael's (1/2 price with online coupon). I also ran a light string through the garland from Michael's. The lights are small and delicate and are battery run. Ashland® Everlasting Glow™ Light String

I have found it's a bit tricky to "hang" things on the "rat fur". The cubicle clips have been terrific for hanging lightweight things such as postcards, the pockets you see in the corner photo, curtain tie-backs, etc. I do have a challenge hanging the framed artwork from the Dollar Tree. The frames are about 8"x 10" and do have thin glass. I glued the hook side of hook and loop tape to the back 4 corners. The frame held for most of the 3-day trip but ultimately did not hold. Fortunately, the frame fell on the cushion and did not break. I am thinking of replacing the hook tape with the "industrial strength" hook tape. The cubicle clips might have worked too, but the look of them is a bit overpowering and detract from the art.

Another technique for hanging things is to use drapery hooks, available at most fabric or drapery stores. Dritz Pin-On Drapery Hooks-14/Pkg | Jo-Ann The only problem with these is that the end is cut wire and could hurt you if you brush against it. As a result I have successfully used them to hold up a decorative plate above the sink. I'll add a photo in the next message.

So, as you can see, much of this is trial and error.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 075.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 067.jpg  

Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 069.jpg   Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 074.jpg  

Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #12

California
Registry
Here's a photo of the Melamine decorative plate held with 3 drapery hooks. This baby's not going anywhere! The vintage wood postcards are held with hook and loop tape, AKA Velcro. By the way, I am not entirely satisfied with Gorilla Glue for gluing the hook and loop tape as it "bubbles up" and oozes through the tape leaving many of the hooks unusable. Maybe contact cement would be better. Both types of glue require "clamping".
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 070.jpg  
Old 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #13

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Hello ladies... what are "cubicle clamps"???
Old 08-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #14

California
Registry
Cubicle clips Staples® Cubicle Clips, White, 12/Pack | Staples® are made to hang papers in an office cubicle. You know, those wall-like partitions that are padded with cloth? They work really well on "rat-fur" to hang lightweight things.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

CA
awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Cubicle clips Staples® Cubicle Clips, White, 12/Pack | Staples® are made to hang papers in an office cubicle. You know, those wall-like partitions that are padded with cloth? They work really well on "rat-fur" to hang lightweight things.
Thanks! I was still mulling how to convert drapery hooks, am glad to find out about these. I did a search for similar stuff on Amazon, found a few other iterations of the same kind of product (including one that is a hook instead of a clip), but also found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Advantus-Panel...=cubicle+hooks

which looks like it might hold a bit more weight and would also be a bit more invisible.

Thanks for sharing!

LP
Old 08-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #16

CA
Another fun one: shelf for cubicles!

Amazon.com : Fellowes Plastic Partition Additions Shelf, 4 3/4 Inch x 17 3/4 Surface Area, Graphite (7528101) : Office Racks And Displays : Office Products
Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM   #17

California
Registry
Hi Ellpea,
I love to know about the Panel Wall Wire Hooks as well as the shelf! Did you look at all the things that can hang on panels in the other photo for the wire hooks?

Another item I found useful is the spiral upholstery tacks or upholstery twist pins Amazon.com - 500 Upholstery Twist Pins - High Quality - Arts And Crafts Supplies were used to attach doilies to the arms of armchairs.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #18

CA
Gilda, yes, I *obsessively* look at all of the items, and (worse) then read all of the customer reviews of all of the items. No wonder I still have laundry that needs to go into the drier.

I use those little upholstery pins on my furniture a lot... how would you use them in the trailer? I think my wall covering is too shallow to use them there?

LP
Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 PM   #19

California
Registry
I used the twist pins to hold sash rods in the trailer instead of screws. ( I abandoned the sash rod idea) I found the twist is long enough to penetrate the rat fur and the insulation underneath. I would only use them for light weight things.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #20

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I used the twist pins to hold sash rods in the trailer instead of screws. ( I abandoned the sash rod idea) I found the twist is long enough to penetrate the rat fur and the insulation underneath. I would only use them for light weight things.
I see. Thanks! I'll check this out, but I don't think my wall material is thick enough to twist into... we'll see!

Are you going to order shelving or other items???

Tags
paint