Amerigo Progress......Finally! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #57

Name: John
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500, 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
wall panel product?

Steve, what product did you use for the wall panels?

John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #58

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
John, I used a 1/4" luan/flooring underlayment from Home Depot. I cut /fit the pieces, primed/painted the backside, primed the front side w/wallpaper primer (sizing) & applied a textured vinyl wallpaper before I installed them. Yes, it was a giant pain but figured I only have to do it once! I was able to reuse the original plastic trim pieces along the top & inside corners.

SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #59

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Love the little guy--and the trailer!

You kept that flip-up countertop extension or added a new one, I see...handy!

Looks like you enlarged the door for the "Putin" (front closet we use to hold the porta-potty and so much more); we enlarged that opening, too, but use a beach towel/curtain instead of a door.

I remember you wrote about a dorm fridge, which I think is a super idea (we're still using an ice chest and probably will continue to do so)...

I love how yours is coming along and how it looks!

At 40F outside, yes, agree about the furnace!

So far we need electricity. We carry water though we don't scorn campground water, especially for my solar bucket bathing and the girls (we gave them a wading pool in Nimble's nighttime nest at Maryhill last month--it was over 80F and the girls were lethargic with heat ...--we use a plastic barrel liner (the shallow kind) for her bed underneath the back bed--works great for a wading pool ).

Enclosing some shots like yours for comparison--your photos seem much clearer but the trailer resemblance is uncanny !?

Final pic: Paul made me a fairly big, heavy key fob...if you'd like one, let me know. We keep it on a hook by the door nearest where Peanut lives most of the time for quick access-hard to lose, hard to forget. We would be delighted to send you one.

BEST
Kai
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 101.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 115.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 110.JPG   Key Chain Scanner Photo.jpg  

Old 06-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #60

North Carolina
Thanks Kai!
I did reuse the original doors. The closet/toilet area had a sort of bi-fold door on the inside that opened/attached next to the stove top giving a little larger private area when using the "seat". Since I'm not carrying a porta pot I won't reuse the extra inside door. Also with the closet door hinged on the left side it is awkward to open from inside the camper....you have to litterally be standing outside of the camper, open the door then step in. Switching to a right side hinge is on the to do list.

That is a cool looking key fob! Is it from one of your old emblems?
I am working on making a mold from one of my good unbroken emblems so I can reproduce a few of them.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #61

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi,

You had quite a different door to the front closet than we got--ours was about 20" wide, hinged on the right, and when open blocked the outside door entirely. There was a narrow wall in the opening making access fairly difficult. The door seemed to be quite heavy but it did have a mirror on the galley side.

The key fob is a new rub-on decal, rubbed onto a piece of acrylic and covered with another piece to enclose it. Your idea sounds very good.

Kai
Old 06-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #62

Name: Jeff
Trailer: Boler
MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I plan on using a small dorm fridge but I did run a new gas line to the fridge area to keep the propane option there.
Curious, what did you use for the propane line? flexible copper pipe? I looked at Home Depot but none of them say they are for gas. Any suggestions?
CrazyTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #63

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyTimmy View Post
Curious, what did you use for the propane line? flexible copper pipe? I looked at Home Depot but none of them say they are for gas. Any suggestions?
Type K, Type L and sometimes type M copper pipe is used for interior gas lines. I used type L 3/8" to install a Dickinson cooktop in my Escape. I've found Home Depot often doesn't carry the stuff I'm looking for, and have had better success at Lowes - although that may vary by what region of the country you're in.

Oh and by the way, avoid the crappy flare tool they sell at HD. It won't properly grip the pipe. The one at Lowes is much better.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-8-in-dia-...r-Pipe/3134487
Old 06-22-2017, 01:36 PM   #64

North Carolina
I ran 1/2" black iron pipe under the trailer & stubbed it up thru the floor. I have it capped off inside for the fridge use if needed but I did use copper line from the black pipe to the stove top. pretty sure it was 1/4". I did get it from Home Depot & it was rated for refrigeration (ac) use or gas (lp). It came in a 10' roll, I'll look for the box/part # in the garage. I did have to single flare the ends.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #65

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
You are showing the most detailed pictures of an Amerigo reno I've seen and I'm wondering what you're using for wall board? Very nice work. Fascinating job.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #66

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
You are showing the most detailed pictures of an Amerigo reno I've seen and I'm wondering what you're using for wall board? Very nice work. Fascinating job.
Thanks, I used 1/4" luan from Home Depot. I had to sort through their pile to find ones good enough & without defects to stain for the wood toned panels. The white panels were finished with a textured vinyl wallpaper.
Getting close to the finish line now!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #67

North Carolina
A little more progress on the Amerigo!
I got to spend some more time on the FG-16 in the last couple of weeks & got a few small things done.
The second dinette bench is built, installed & 'glassed into the wall now. Just like the other benches the only wood salvageable were the hatch covers.

The original refrigerator had a mirror on the door & I liked how it made the inside area feel bigger. I found a mirror almost the exact same size at a local Goodwill store that was fairly light weight w/a plastic frame so it became the new "door" for the cabinet.

A new filler board finished up the rear gaucho/bed area so now the only project left for the back half is cutting the radius window trim pieces. I hope to get the front wall panels done soon then it's on to finishing the electrical......hopefully!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171005_112800543_HDR[1].jpg   IMG_20171005_112638097_HDR[1].jpg  

IMG_20171005_112622480_HDR[1].jpg   IMG_20171005_114357514_HDR[1].jpg  

Old 10-12-2017, 08:50 AM   #68

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
Excellent idea

Steve,

This idea should be at the top of any to-do list for these old trailer reno's to add the much needed ground clearance. Nice work and good pictures.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
While the low ride height is good for ease of entry into the camper it was a little scary with the steep entrances to many gas stations & driveways around here. More than once on the trip home I heard the jack bottom scrape while slowly pulling out from a gas stop. While I had the Amerigo up on jack stands I felt it was a good time for my over sprung axle conversion.

From the factory the axle is mounted on top of the spring (first pic). That combined with the 4" dropped spindle makes this one low rider! Moving the axle under the spring is a good way to gain some ground clearance for my needs. This requires welding a new spring perch on the top side of the axle. Dexter does offer a kit to do this but I bought the new spring perches & U-bolts from the local Agri-Supply. I also replaced the shackles, shackle bolts and spring bushings while I was in there. I think all together I spent a little over $20 for the parts. The new spring perch should be welded on top of the axle parallel to the old mount.

Total lift from this conversion is 4 3/4" & the good part is you can easily change it back in under an hour since the old spring perches are still on the axle.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #69

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I wish there was a like button you are fantastic!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #70

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
I use flex get it off amazon they carry some long lengths.

bob

k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo