Amerigo Progress......Finally! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #71

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: none at present
Kentucky
Registry
That mirror/door idea is excellent! What a stroke of luck and looks very very nice.

I'm trying to figure out how you attached the wall panels and it looks like screw/washer combination into the rib with a cap strip. Is that right?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #72

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
That mirror/door idea is excellent! What a stroke of luck and looks very very nice.

I'm trying to figure out how you attached the wall panels and it looks like screw/washer combination into the rib with a cap strip. Is that right?
It was luck on the mirror. I knew the size of the opening but didn't have a tape measure on me while shopping at the Goodwill so I did the next best thing......I laid the mirror on the floor & used the 12" square tiles as my measuring stick.
The wife thought I was nuts. It was 1/2" short on the top to bottom size but isn't really noticeable installed.

The wall panels are held in place by the inside window trim which is attached with #4 x 3/4" brass screws. The bottom edge is secured with a piece of 3/4" screen stock that's attached w/screws & that's hidden by the cushions. I was able to reuse the original plastic "H" strips that cover the seams in the wall panels as well as the top edge/inside corner plastics. The screws you see in the pics were just temporary until I put the window trim on.

I hope I never have to remove any of the wall panels but if needed I wanted to be able to do so without destroying them. In the original build they were stapled all around the windows, top & bottom.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:10 PM   #73

Name: Justine
Trailer: Amerigo
TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonie Belcher View Post
I have gutted my Amerigo too. Replaced the floor with Densilite XP, it will never rot again. I also lined the channels in the floor with rigid insulation and under the XP with laminate padding and sealed the edges completely with auto caulk. I am waiting until the weather breaks and we can take it to get painted. After that it will be wiring. I am moving the electrical to the front under the dinette. I spent a whole month filling holes, gravel chips and cracks. Replaced the rotten belly band wood and completely glassed it in so that if there is a leak from a window it will not soak in to the wood and rot it.
We did a lot of work on the frame, the hold-down tabs had rusted off and we added more cross pieces, notably right across at the doorway where there was nothing to support the weight as you step in. I replaced the bumper with a 4" pipe and made the coupler and chains removable so that it would be very difficult to steal, no way to haul it. The most painstaking job was the windows. Spent many hours removing caulk and cleaning the frames, UGH. Actually that was not true, the worst job was removing the thousands of rusted clutch screws. If I never see another clutch screw I will be a very happy person.

Hi Leonie! Great info, thanks for posting. I was wondering if you have any updates on your Amerigo (specifically in regards to how the Densilite XP worked out for the flooring). I'm looking into doing the same for my 74 Amerigo FG-16 and wondered if there were any hiccups or downsides.
Cheers, Justine

Tags
amerigo