An idea for poptop replacement... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #15

Name: Teri
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Registry
The top is mounted on the inside of the frame and the bottom goes outside of the fiberglass on the wood which is outside. So there is a slight angle. Hope that makes sense.

I had to expand mine on the outside a few inches to be able to staple to the frame comfortably.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #16

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Oh, I see. But I'll probably put the velcro on the inside for both. Still, the inside top is smaller, I think, since it sits inside the outside wood rim, doesn't it?

Old 11-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #17

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by teri85 View Post
The top is mounted on the inside of the frame and the bottom goes outside of the fiberglass on the wood which is outside. So there is a slight angle. Hope that makes sense.

I had to expand mine on the outside a few inches to be able to staple to the frame comfortably.
Just adding a correction to this information as I recently replaced the fabric on my Campster pop up top and I did the job myself carefully taking measurements from the frame. The measurement for the fabric length around the to and the bottom is exactly the same. What you are not accounting for is that at both top and bottom the fabric is attached to the wood frame and those frames are a matching pair as far as the inside length around the perimeter goes.

It is important to note that if you still have the original pop up fabric you should not make your fabric an exact match to that upper and lower measurement as over time that vinyl material will have shrunk. So what will happen if you take your measurements from the old pieces is that your new part is going to be too small to fit properly. Instead measure the actual dimensions needed for the perimeter lengths of the sections from the wood frame and do not take it from the old original yellow vinyl material.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:22 AM   #18

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Hi Bobbie---a number of years ago I replaced the canvas on an old tent trailer (pop-up).

I used velcro and it worked extremely well. Probably better than the original because there was that small degree of adjustment allowed by virture of the width of the velcro.

I used the velcro with sticky back but not the "cheap" stuff---the REAL velcro has a superior adhesion. And Velcro glue can also be used, if needed.

The original makers of your trailer, IMHO, would have definitely used Velcro if it had been available to them at that time.....in this application, it is the perfect solution.

And scoring a tent at a yard sale and re-purposing it is a great idea. You might also consider looking for the panels from gazebos that have been blown over/damaged by wind....those are a-plenty and the panels and screening are usually stronger canvas-style material.

But don't fret sewing the vinyl! It is easy. Just edge it in either bias tape or a similar product and it sews readily on your machine. A good hint, if you find the actual vinyl sticks on the surface of your throatplate is to place it between sheets of tissue paper and it'll slide easily.

Good luck and don't forget to show us your finished product!!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #19

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
Hi Bobbie---a number of years ago I replaced the canvas on an old tent trailer (pop-up).

Good luck and don't forget to show us your finished product!!
Long since done- this post is 4 1/2 years old!

I will give a few caveats to anyone else. I did eventually staple down the velcro as it started pulling loose from both wood and fiberglass. You have to have something to make it pull to the inside as you lower it- the original had elastic embedded in the non-window portions; I just put a Bungee around the whole thing. (Someone else's idea that I stole.)

One nice benefit is very easy access to the poptop mechanism if you need it.

Never travel without the canvas in place (that's how I lost my top, I believe- the canvas makes the clamps have to stretch and therefore hold more tightly).