"And a Rivet Runs Through It" - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #41

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
If the rivet isn't broken, and if I don't need to remove it to fix something else, is there any reason to take all my rivets out and replace them?
My opinion..No... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." For me, the only exception would be to pull non-leaking windows and reseal with NEW butyl...if I was going to paint.

my 2 1/2 cents.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #42

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Ditto here.....wait till they start leaking.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:50 PM   #43

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
I know its nice to redo everything at the same time, but I do have to ponder this: If the rivet isn't broken, and if I don't need to remove it to fix something else, is there any reason to take all my rivets out and replace them?
(Thanks to Donna who reminds us to use the search engine. Now I can add to this topic instead of starting my own about rivets!)
The beauty of aluminum pop-style rivets is you set them and they stay. They don't unscrew themselves and don't generally slip or fatigue, which is why something very like s pop-rivet is used extensively in homebuilt aircraft kits. When they do start to leak, it's generally the fault of the sealant around the rivet or (more likely) the sleeve where the mandrel "head" inside the rivet shakes loose, creating a nifty little channel water can leak in through. This can happen just about any time in the rivet's long life. So, unless you go to a (more expensive) closed shaft rivet like the one I mentioned earlier on in this thread, you're not buying yourself anything by replacing them, and may be causing trouble by tearing out a known water-tight seal and replacing it with a new seal that won't be any more dependable and might well be worse.

--Peter
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #44

Trailer: Boler Honey
Ok, I took a look at my Major Project trailer. Some rivets have been replaced. Some nuts, some acorn caps, some have held on by rust. I will be doing some replacing for sure. Thanks for all the advice.
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote