$#&^%!@# Dog holder - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-20-2003, 04:24 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
e-collars

I'll contact my friend and post something tomorrow.

Old 07-20-2003, 07:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Orginally posted by Robert Brummett

I've never met a dog that was too dumb to be treat-trained. Try it on Kyra with "Sit!" I bet she'll be responding to commands within five minutes.

Our Bichon, Missie, learned come, sit, stay, dance, lie down - all by treat-training. Sounds great, doesn't it? What she REALLY learned was not to respond at all until she SEES the treat!:r

Dina (& Jim)

Old 07-20-2003, 07:34 PM   #17

training vs negotiations

I once had a keeper of Rhodesian Ridgebacks that said that you don't train them, you negotiate with them!

No thank you!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:48 PM   #18

Pet stories

Somehow this thread went from 'Modifications' to pet stories, but the're interesting. Heres a favorite.......

Along the Cassier.....a story
Old 07-21-2003, 12:55 AM   #19

This pup is 12, half white shepherd and half husky. She herds and she runs! When I see some one with a lab or a retrivever trotting along at heel without a leash, I point and say, WHY can't you do that? She is very loyal though, in the house she is never more than a few feet away.

Thanks Rick, I think I'm the lucky one. She is really an angel. She is high maintenance, but I feel blessed to have had the chance to see her learn to trust again. When I look at her, or at my birds (all rescued) it makes me wonder how they can have such forgiving hearts.

I tried treat training. She will refuse food if she thinks the strings attached aren't worth it.

Next mod is probably going to be a ramp to get her into the car and a step for the bed (yeah, I know training goes out the window if you let the dog on the bed, I gave in after I realized she'd trained me). On this trip she stopped jumping in and waited to have her hind legs lifted in.

Jana, I think the Trill closets are more ssecurely attached than most. I think I recall you taking yours out. This one is molded in.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #20

The collar thing reminded me of what happens when we go camping. We have a 2 year old male human (just shy of 2 actually) and he likes to run but doesn't understand to watch for cars or trucks yet. So when we get to the campsite, I take out a spool of poly rope and run it liberally around the campsite, at approximately shin-height, wrapping it around the occasional tree to secure it. Then Shari and I can sit under the awning and Jakob can run around the site all he wants and the rope serves as a mental barrier. Of course, Humans are generally smarter than most dogs so this probably wouldn't work with dogs, especially not pitbulls and rottweilers.

The funny part is as people go for a walk past our site, they look at the rope and if Jakob isn't around, they ask what the rope is for and whether it's one of those electric fences for dogs. I generally don't correct them but tell them it's a fence for our little boy. I let them decide whether it's electric or not.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:30 AM   #21

>>the rope serves as a mental barrier

Great idea Herb!

However, I hope my wife doesn't read this and decide it would be a great way to contain me!
Old 07-21-2003, 02:16 PM   #22

Here's a few links some with articles

http://www.e-collartraining.com/
http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/index.html
http://www.altmoor.com/catalog/Selecting.html
http://www.gudgel.com/ecollar_conection.htm
http://www.finographics.com/schutzhund/obe...collarwork.html

happy hunting!
And, no, these are not for humans too!:crazy-ii
Old 07-21-2003, 07:11 PM   #23

Huskies

Many years ago I had a friend who raised huskies and raced them. He used to hitch them to an old Model T without the engine. They were in 7th heaven, pulling it !

I had a Husky of my own named Boris about the same time. He was the chicken catching champion of Sistersville, West Virginia...four in one day! He jumped out of my VW window as we drove through a rotary in Weeling, bit two dogs, and jumped back in before I made it all the way around.

I bought a harness for Boris and one of those old teeter-totter metal strollers. He pulled my daughter all over Pittsburgh. He was a perfect gentleman as long as she was in the stroller, but the moment I took her out he took off!

Huskies are tough. They are convinced that their decision making abilities and good sense are better than yours. Since they love you, they have to make sure you don't screw up. And most of them can't be bribed with treats.

You might consider killing two birds with one stone (excuse me, bird lovers) and hitch your dog to the trailer. I'll bet you get great mileage!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:14 AM   #24

I did tie her to the bumper for a bit, but the rig seems a bit heavy for her. Perhaps it takes two huskies to pull this thing.
Quote:
Huskies are tough. They are convinced that their decision making abilities and good sense are better than yours. Since they love you, they have to make sure you don't screw up. And most of them can't be bribed with treats.
Exactly! This is the exact description of the look on her face when I suggest something she doesn't want to do. Sort of a polite gimace, as though she doesn't want to hurt my feelings by telling me how dumb the idea is.

The only time I have ever seen her go into hyper protective mode was at a campground in Maine one summer. I'd had her nearly two years and we went to New England with two of my female friends. One night after several days fo rain we couldn't get the damp firewood to light. A well-dressed man came over and started telling us how we were doing it wrong. He and his wife offered to help us light it. "Knock yourself out," I said. Suddenly the dog went nuts. Barking, growling, lunging. She couldn't reach him, but she sure wanted to. I'll never know what set her off, but I've always trusted her judgement since then.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #25

Trust your dog's judgment!

When we lived in W. Va. I drilled two holes in the wooden kitchen floor, put big eye lag bolts through and chained the dogs to them so they could be inside without supervision while the neighbor kids played with my daughter.

There weren't many eligible men in the Ohio River Valley. One night the local optometrist came calling and the Akita and the Husky went nuts! The Akita pulled the lag bolt right out of the floor and took off after him. It was like the scene from Cujo...the man trying to turn over his engine, the dog growling and slobbering on the driver's side window! He finally got the car started and sped away, never to return.

Two or three years later...we were living in California by then...my W. Va. next door neighbor called. Some stray dogs were nosing around the optometrist's yard and unearthed human bones. Female bones.

The police dug up the yard and found two or three skeletons that had, apparently, belonged to single women without familes who had moved into the Valley.

I'm convinced that the dogs saved us. I will always take the dog's judgment over my own.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:56 PM   #26

The judgement of dogs

It's uncanny. It's a long story, but our last Rottweiler, Vito Luigi, saved my wife's life from a man who is now on death row in PA for the horrible murder of another female gallery owner. He is enshrined forever in both our hearts, and if he is not in heaven I refuse to go there myself (even if invited!).

I've provided a link to his memorial page on my wife's website.

http://www.brummett.net/vitomemorial.html
Old 07-23-2003, 12:01 PM   #27

Trust your dog's judgement

:wave
We have a seven year old female Dalmation named Velvet, who meets everyone at the door at our home. If she displays a dislike for someone, we have learned to respect this. We had a 16 y.o. (female) friend of my son's stay with us last summer, and if she met someone, she would bring him home to see what reaction the dog had. If the dog disapproved, He was not invited back.
Velvet has become very protective of the girlfriends of both of my sons as well.:chased
CHEERS
Old 07-23-2003, 10:06 PM   #28

But sometimes you wonder what they are thinking

Once when I was house hunting, I passed a place with FSBO sign in the yard. A guy who seemed to be in charge was in the yard working. I stopped and asked him about the house. He waved me toward the front door and I thought he meant for me to go inside. I walked inside and was looking around when two humongous dogs came up to me. Me, being me, I started talking to them. I kept walking and the dogs just followed me around. Every now and then one would nuzzle my leg. I'd pat him or her and keep walking

Well, the lady of the house walked into a room where I was obviously looking around. Not expecting me to be there, she started screaming when she saw me. When she screamed, I screamed. Then she screamed again. So, I screamed again. It was like an echo that kept repeating louder and louder. We were both scaring the hell out of each other.

The two dogs were looking back and forth at the two of us with a look of total confusion on their faces. Suddenly, the bigger dog ran to the other lady and barked at her furiously and the smaller (but by no means small dog) started barking at me in the same way. When the masters of the house calmed the humans down, we people were able to explain ourselves to each other.

I was so flustered by the experience I never went back to that house. But, I always wondered what kind of people would have dogs, who fortunately for me in that instance, didn't protect them. But then, the dogs probably knew them a whole lot better than I did. As I was leaving, I heard the yard man and lady (husband and wife) trying to figure out why the dogs didn't bother me. I heard him say,"She's probably a really nice lady." That didn't seem to go down that well with the Mrs.