Another question...what is it for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Another question...what is it for?

Under the street side dinette seat, of my 1978 Scamp 13", is an object made from two strips aluminum (I think) into somewhat like a cross.

In the open center is a piece of foam/foam rubber.

Due to the crud covering everything it's hard to see clearly.

Here is a photos showing the object:

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp What is it for.jpg Views: 38 Size: 174.3 KB ID: 82067" style="margin: 2px" />

Can anyone tell me what purpose this object serves?

Thanks again for all the kind help!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It looks like it might have held a water pump in place at one time. After 35 years who knows what was there....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:57 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm not sure about the older Scamps, but newer ones have the water tank and pump (if so equipped) in the curbside seat. The streetside seat houses the electrical stuff. Could that have secured the shore power cord?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
It looks like it might have held a water pump in place at one time. After 35 years who knows what was there....
Hey! You folks are supposed to know everything there is to know about fiberglass travel trailers!!

A water pump might explain what the foam rubber was doing there, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your reply,

Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm not sure about the older Scamps, but newer ones have the water tank and pump (if so equipped) in the curbside seat. The streetside seat houses the electrical stuff. Could that have secured the shore power cord?
Thanks Jon, My 1978 Scamp 13" did have a water tank in the curbside seat compartment at one time. The water inlet opening and hose is still in place. There are so many loose wires going everywhere that there is no way I can tell if 12-volts, for a pump, is or was ever going to the water tank area.

My first thought when I saw the object was that it had something to do with the electrical power cord because the cord was laying next to the object. However, I couldn't think HOW it did!

Maybe there is still some Scamp owner who has a like item in their trailer?

Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I really don't think it matters at this point. I'd take it out as you clean/repair the floor in that area. You could hang onto the piece just in case you decide you need it later.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
We removed a "Like Item" from our 2002 Std Scamp. The standard water pump was a small round pump without a pressure head that just ran when the switch was on. It was about 2.5" in diameter and fit into a similar looking bracket. That one looks like a home built replacement.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
I really don't think it matters at this point. I'd take it out as you clean/repair the floor in that area. You could hang onto the piece just in case you decide you need it later.
Yeah, I do need to do that! An hour ago when I was attempting to sweep out some of the "dirt", it, and all the loose wires, was in the way!

The wires have to stay until I can trace what they powered at one time. Wireing is something I enjoy messing with...except when it is in very tight spaces!

Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 04:05 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
We removed a "Like Item" from our 2002 Std Scamp. The standard water pump was a small round pump without a pressure head that just ran when the switch was on. It was about 2.5" in diameter and fit into a similar looking bracket. That one looks like a home built replacement.
Bob, that most likely is what the item is for!

While sweeping the area awhile ago, I discovered a red wire in the dirt, next to the item. And there is a toggle switch next to the sink.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 PM   #10

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Bill,

I stripped out all the wiring and will start fresh. There had been so many modifications, splices, electrical tape. Every time we hit a bump something would suddenly go on or off. 39 years of messing with wires. There was just about every possible colored wire!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Basically-- it's just a patch.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Congratulations... you found a genuine doohicky!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
The water pump on my 1988, is in the cabinet under the kitchen sink, passenger side. Go figure.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote