Another spin on AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp / 2006 Honda Element
I really liked the idea of the closet AC and had every intention of carrying through with such an implementation, but in the end I wimped out and decided to go with a window setup. While I'm sure there are people who have succeeded in getting the air flow to work sufficiently well in the closet... I didn't have faith in my own ability to make it work (plus, I was somewhat uncomfortable with cutting a big hole in the side of my 32 year old beauty).

Looking at the design of the windows on my '76 Scamp (allowing for very simple removal by sliding sideways out of a channel at the top of the window frame)... I realized it would be fairly straight forward to create an easily removeable AC setup... which I could opt to leave behind if the temperatures allowed it.

I still need to seal it better, but I finished the basic setup in an afternoon using some scrap 'water resistant' board I had used for my wife's dark room counter top. I may end up having to use some different materials depending on how this board stands up to the elements, what I have will at least make for good future templates.

Basically, I just created two boards which fit nicely into the window frame on both the inside and outside... with a center hole for the AC unit itself. Inspired by another fellow's AC project on this forum, I used some angled aluminum to attach the AC unit to the outside board. I attached 4 lag screws tightened with nuts on the outside board... drilling 4 matching holes on the inside board.

I prop up the AC unit and outside board combo in the hole from the outside... and then slide the inside board over the 4 lag bolts and screw on no tool knobs. Even though the window opening is not flat, it buttons up nicely once the knobs are tightened down.

Although it feels really snug in there... I'm planning on travelling with the AC unit sitting on the floor of the scamper (on a nice thick towel to cushion it as well as soak up any residual moisture which comes out).

Nifty window enabling my no brainer window AC setup...

Click image for larger version

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	13315

AC/outside board combo ready to install from outside of window...

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	13316

In place... showing off angled aluminum which affixes AC to outside board...

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	13317

Inside view of outside board and lag screws, note inside window frame into which the inside board will fit...

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	13318

Inside board slid over lag screws...

Name:	pic5.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	13319

Screwing on no tool knobs...

Name:	pic6.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	13320

Ready for the summer heat... and no more than 2 minutes to swap it in and out...

Name:	pic7.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	13321
HustonFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Well, that's pretty nifty!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Well, that's pretty nifty!
Thanks, I spent most of this past weekend with little mods... the AC was just the 'major' one... I also mounted a 14" LCD TV on a nice swivel bracket I found, mounted a mini microwave on some remaining 'white board' off the fridge end of the countertop, affixed a 'full length' mirror to the closet door, installed an outside cable jack for an eventual satellite tv hookup (prerequisite for the wife). I also visited our new Camping World store and purchased plastic levelling blocks, stabilizer jacks, portapotti sanitizer a portable Coleman grill, oh, and I ordered an A&E Trim Line awning... have to wait a week on that however.

We're just about ready to make our first official foray out (did a 'soft' one night outing to a local fishing spot)... Ponca State Park in northeastern Nebraska the first week of June... then at the end of July we're off to the Black Hills for our first week trip... perhaps a few nearby weekenders in between to continue refining our routine. Hope to make our first Egg Event in Minnesota in September!

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the Scamp... and we haven't even really used it yet.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Wow, that's a nice install. Thought about doing mine as a removable like urs, but we didn't have the window parts from the PO. Very similar install to ours. I'll bet you could travel with it in-place without any problems. You can grab ours and shake the whole trailer....

Name:	AC_exta.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	13334

Attached Thumbnails
AC_inta.jpg  
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Question

Just one question. Did you mount that A/C in the emergency escape window? I think it is the only one that swings completely out. The others slide from side to side or have a small swingout section.

You could be setting yourself up for disaster if you ever have an emergency and are unable to get out the door.

Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Just one question. Did you mount that A/C in the emergency escape window? I think it is the only one that swings completely out. The others slide from side to side or have a small swingout section.

You could be setting yourself up for disaster if you ever have an emergency and are unable to get out the door.
Good question Orlen. Our Scamp has the escape hatch in the top roof vent, but I've never seen a side window like Huston has. Almost looks like an automobile sunroof someone adapted as a side window.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
Interesting point. A lot of older trailers don't have an emergency exit at all. Good thing we keep an axe inside one of the seats - could be used in case we ever need to make one, I guess.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
very nice install.. i like it.. the angled aluminum brackets..
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:19 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't know if this is directed at my installation or not... if so, thanks for your concern. With the exception of the front window... my other two available window openings are large enough for us to get out of... and of the swing out design. I think we'll be just fine.

Name:	scamp.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	13367

And yes Phil... those are your angled aluminum brackets! (and by the way... I caught a glimpse of your car in the background of one of your photos and was reminded how much I miss my Turbo Buick )

Name:   post_8937_1191796084_thumb.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  4.1 KB