Any suggestions on how to repair? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the market
Tennessee
Any suggestions on how to repair?

Take it to fiberglass boat repair shop or RV shop? Anyone know where to get replacement door, get it from Casita or OEM supplier? Thanks in advance for any recommendations. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
image-2719233293.jpg   image-3741788335.jpg  

image-287560361.jpg   image-2403128671.jpg  

Rideadeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Take it to someone experienced with fiberglass.

What's the story behind this travesty?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 AM   #3

Tennessee
History is vague, partial roll-over or sideswiped but the trailer is in good shape besides obvious fiberglass damage, a couple of broken rivets, door frame, and some plastic trim. It is water-proof at the moment but not very appealing to the eye. At some point I wanted to get professional repair with nice finish/paint. I was looking for some input from someone who might have some experience with repair process. I guess I am looking for advice on how to save money as well. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Someone with more hands on experience will probably be along soon, but please avail yourself to the excellent search function for this site. Click on Search at the top bar, then insert the search terms in the bottom space titled Search Site / Google in the drop down menu.

I think that others have found good luck with boat repair facilities as they know more about fiberglass and gel coat than a typical RV dealer. Fortunately Casita is still in business so you can still buy parts.

You might also want to try the Casita forum. http://www.casitaforum.com/
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
It certainly won't cost anything to get estimates from repair places so you can see what it will cost if you have someone else do it?
I would start there.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Yeah check with marina's, they usually have a fiberglass person. Where my boat was prior to sandy, Joel could do wonders with fiberglass... but he is pretty busy right now lol

best of luck

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
A Casita owner took their trailer to Superior RV Inc in Vancouver,Wa. The whole front left side corner was broken. They did the fiberglass repair inside and outside, and when it was finished no one could tell it was ever wrecked.
Find a shop that does fiberglass work,ask around in your area.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #8

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Just so you know what is possible if one's dedicated/broke enough...

There are no recent updates to the following project, but here's what another member has been working on...(link to thread: Repairing caved in Scamp)

He's gone from this:

To this:

I wish he'd post pics of what it looks like now!

Good luck with yours...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
That is a monumental job, I dont think the trailer would be worth it. I have seen photo's of high end boats that were T-boned by another boat and the side was destroyed. They created moulds off the good side and were able to make it so you couldnt tell. That would be a true fiberglass master!
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
That is a monumental job, I dont think the trailer would be worth it. I have seen photo's of high end boats that were T-boned by another boat and the side was destroyed. They created moulds off the good side and were able to make it so you couldnt tell. That would be a true fiberglass master!

Are you talking about the O.P.'s trailer?

His problems look mostly cosmetic to me...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
. They created moulds off the good side and were able to make it so you couldnt tell. That would be a true fiberglass master!
It sure would be, making a boat with two left hand sides But, yes, I've seen yards do similar things, repair things like burned off decks so well there isn't any visible indication of the previous major damage.

Without making light of this situation, for an experienced person, this is minor damage that could be repaired so well that it would not be visible.

I agree with the previous comments, get a couple of estimates from boat yards to be able to put a dollar amount on a professional repair.

Unfortunately this repair is a little too major to recommend a DIY approach unless you can find someone with experience to help you with some aspects. That approach could save you lots because some of the steps can easily be DIY.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Take it to someone experienced with fiberglass.

What's the story behind this travesty?
It looks suspiciously like it did a BIG wag up against a p/u with a canopy on it.

I agree with the others try getting a quote from a local marina - its winter time things get slow you never know what they may be willing to do it for.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

Tennessee
I am going to get some estimates and call Casita for door replacement. Thanks for feedback. I will post whenever I get it finished. Mike