Anybody install a siphon360 to prevent black/grey water odor? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
At the risk of becoming an Eileen shill, it sounds like you could really use this. A-Z Casita Owner's Guide It explains EVERYTHING Casita. If you buy it direct it can be emailed to you. On Amazon you can only order the CD, but you can see the reviews here. http://www.amazon.com/Casita-Travel-...ords=casita+cd I can't even begin to describe how much this helped us as new Casita owners.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 PM   #16

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Tom, I found the pull (under the front of the casita, sort of where the tongue starts) and opened it. Since it had been closed that was supposedly not the issue. The owner who sold it stated no odors, but clearly there is some kind of odor issue having to do with the holding tanks I guess, or the piping. I ran the hot shower and put soap down, I don't have bac out yet, which should really help. I ordered it. If anybody has ideas where the odor might be coming from (a pipe? A holding tank that was let sit too long?) let me know. The commode smells fine.

I've looked at the customs site (forget the whole name) and definitely am going to order the valve replacement that eddie suggested. I also hate the ugly sink in the bathroom, so I may get their replacement for that, too. And I'm not even too keen on the plastic toilet so if ceramic is safe I'd much rather. I am very sensitive to chemicals and odors and I'm displeased about this odor and want to take care of it asap. Thanks all!

Old 05-30-2015, 09:28 PM   #17

Georgia
Eileen

Who is Eileen? I'll be happy to order if it helps me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
At the risk of becoming an Eileen shill, it sounds like you could really use this. A-Z Casita Owner's Guide It explains EVERYTHING Casita. If you buy it direct it can be emailed to you. On Amazon you can only order the CD, but you can see the reviews here. http://www.amazon.com/Casita-Travel-...ords=casita+cd I can't even begin to describe how much this helped us as new Casita owners.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: Casita
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Who is Eileen? I'll be happy to order if it helps me.
The author.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:22 AM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Jen, whatever "valve" may or may not be in the right position, the grey tank can get overly ripe. Who thought soap would do that? I have only used Pine-Sol in both tanks for 25 years and never had an odor problem. Might be an idea to do a good flushing and see what you get before investing in extra parts and fittings.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM   #20

Georgia
Dave, I did run the shower for about fifteen minutes. How do I do a thorough flush? I found a long thread on casita club and copied it. Sometimes it was the traps, for instance, or even the anode in the hot water heater. The first time I was in the casita a few weeks ago I thought I smelled ammonia of some kind. The second two times no odor so the owner must've done something. How would the grey water tank get ripe in just four days sitting? IE we just parked it w a/c on and because it was raining didn't do anything until yesterday when we were assailed by the odor when we walked in.

Thanks to all. We are super busy for a few days now which upsets me as I would rather spend my time getting this solved. I'm going to check it again this a.m. My suspicion is the trap or a slimy pipe with stuck material but hey if flushing the tank helped, great. I recall someone who put probiotics in her tanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #21

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Jen
If you are hooked up to the RV park system and the dump and shower valves are open with a dry shower trap you will be venting the RV park sewer system inside your trailer.
Eddie
Old 05-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #22

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
The 311 toilet is the Dometic OEM low pofile brother of the 310 toilet. It is a entry level limited repair ceramic bowl toilet. It is sold by CW as a short 310.
Dometic 302311671 Model 311 Low Profile White China Toilet RV Parts
Old 05-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #23

Georgia
Thanks Eddie! The odor was strongest when the trailer was just sitting for four days. I disconnected the sewer line for now since we aren't using it. I'm not sure how to fill and disinfect the grey water tank. If the valve is open (I opened it last night), the water will flow out. Where does the sink water go? Into the grey water tank and then into the sewer?

Old 05-31-2015, 09:31 AM   #24

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Jen, the grey water tank often smells more than the black water! The way to give it a good clean is to completely fill the gray water tank (everything but the toilet water goes in to the gray tank) You will know,when it is full when it starts backing up in the shower pan so be ready to shut it off completely then. I usually add dawn dish detergent or laundry detergent but you can add whatever you want. Also as they said above to use the cleaning wand but don't do that when it is full.
The gray water on the Casita does not drain completely when you drain it so there is always some water left in there. There is a gray water mod for that at Little House Customs but it is a big mod, I haven't done it yet. The hepvo shower valve helps with smells and I also just put one of those flat rubber bath plugs over the shower drain (I am also sensitive to smells) While you have your old valve keep it closed when not using it.
People doing dishes and scraps of food etc going in to the grey can really lead to smells.
You will feel much better when you have it all cleaned to your standards, I know I do
Most people just use the regular toilet so you may want to try the installed one first and see how you get on.
I find the Casita forum a little better than casita club, you have to join.
- Home Page
Old 05-31-2015, 10:55 AM   #25

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
I hope I can be of some help by consolidating the helpful posts till now.
The first point from Tom is to know what year Casita you have, so we know where your shower valve is.
I'd start by making sure you rinse out the grey water system with that valve open. Then close the valve and run a couple of gallons into the grey tank from the sink. After that, see if the odor persists. If it does, you must have something stuck in the shower drain line, between the drain and the valve, likely in the p-trap. That should be relatively easy to clean out, either by yourself if you are handy, or by a plumber.
Once that issue is resolved, seriously consider Eddie's recommendation of installing a Hepvo valve in the shower drain line. That will permit you to eliminate two "bad actors" the shower valve and the p-trap. The hepvo is widely available, but buy it from Little House Customs as part of the "Valvectomy" kit. The advantage is the overall instructions LHC will include, plus all the necessary plumbing pieces, cut to size for your specific year and model of Casita. Again a fairly straightforward plumbing task.
Benefits.
1. The Hepvo valve is a foolproof guarantee of no odors from the tank getting into the cabin.
2. Eliminating the shower valve altogether. No more forgetting to open it before taking a shower which is a major nuisance and/or embarrassment.
3. Also eliminating the rubber p-trap which can split, tear, etc. That also eliminates the possibility of the p-trap freezing and splitting or evaporating and opening the cabin to tank odors.
Of all the great mod kits, accessories, repair parts available at LHC, this may well be the most worthwhile.

Home | Little House Customs

Walt
Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Sometimes it was the traps, for instance, or even the anode in the hot water heater. The first time I was in the casita a few weeks ago I thought I smelled ammonia of some kind. The second two times no odor so the owner must've done something. How would the grey water tank get ripe in just four days sitting?
Over the years I have only had a smell issue a couple of times.

Once it was the grey tank. Even though I am careful about wiping down dishes etc before washing, stuff does make its way into the tank and can accumulate on the bottom of it due to the location of the dump valve it does not all flush out. The weather was hot so sediment/stuff in the bottom of the tank got smelly. Used a Tank Wand to clean it out. I now use the wand a couple of times a year to rinse out the grey water tank and have not had the same smell issue return.

The second time it was the Hot water tank - smelled like rotten eggs! Some would suggest that the anode in the hot water tank needed replacing & that might have been true if tank brand used in my trailer used a anode but it does not.

The smell was due to sediment build up on the bottom of the hot water tank that again does not drain out due to the location of the hot water tank drain. That combined with having left the trailer sitting with water in the tank & unused in hot weather for a few days was the source of the smell! So a Water Heater Tank Rinser is needed to move the sediment out of the bottom of the Hot Water Tank. I use it to flush out the sediment from the bottom of the hot water tank about twice a year now - 5 years later of heavy use of the trailer and that smell has never return. If you are taking on water from unknown sources while traveling, cleaning the sediment out of the bottom of your hot water tank regularly will also make it last longer.

The holding tanks in our small trailers are so small and as a result so frequently dumped there should be no need to have to buy/use any of those heavy duty type holding tank cleaning products the BIG guys need/use. I do though use a *tiny* bit of product in the black water tank though to keep it smelling fresh
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:39 PM   #27

Georgia
Thanks!!

Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #28

Georgia
First of all, I want to thank everybody for their helpful advice. I freaked out when I smelled that. Pouring a bit of tsp down the shower drain and running the shower and tap on hot with valve open, then closed until it filled and then drained, seemed to help. Nonetheless I'm getting a tank wand and the black tank cleaner because frankly I am sensitive to stuff like that--not only have a great nose that can smell a whiff of anything from anywhere, but I am mold sensitive and probably to bacteria as well. Therefore, the last thing I want is residues of smelly stinky water in plastic bins under my floor. The whole idea yucks me out and worse still, the thought that some of it is from previous peeps :-). Call me fastidious but I gotta get those tanks clean before I even use the bathroom! Uck.

I wish they drained fully and maybe some day I will do that mod. After I get the casita clean and try sleeping in it (a few weeks off at the minimum I suspect) I am very much wanting to modify the bathroom. The sink is old, and the toilet is plastic. I have read through little customs (?) and I want their high faucet, the towel rack, and I probably will get the Dometic toilet and have my plumber install it. I don't really want to use a plastic toilet (plastic is permeable) that others have used for years, but also, I just don't want a plastic toilet.

I will be using it a lot (the camper), so...but I think I'll use the campground facilities for all but light use of the bathroom. Less worry about dumping and cleaning all the time.

One might say, why spend that $$ but I know that small stresses can have large effects. There have been studies on this, A trick knee that you live with, or a banging screen door that makes noise every time--these little stresses turn out to have much bigger effects than we know. To walk in the bathroom and see a beautiful sink and a clean shining bathroom and a ceramic toilet would make the bathroom a pleasant experience rather than every time going in and seeing an old yellowed 70's style sink and a plastic toilet.

Anyway you all helped me so much and I'm going to order some things including the tank wand. I am definitely gonna do that hepvo mod--and that's when, I think, I could also have the plumber replace the toilet.